Pseudo scorpion Vs Varroa destructor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think then the conversation then has to turn to what ratio sugar syrup to use on the chickens (And what gas mark... )
:)

Who said anything about chickens, think your on the wrong forum, you need the birdkeeping forum.

But nowhere near the mayhem varroa would cause if the chemicals were not used, and varroa is not natural here, humans brought it here.

I agree strongly with HM here on this point, but I'd like to expand further.

I'm open to listening to people who say they haven't treated for varroa for 10 plus years, as their bees are resistant - blah, blah, blah, but not only do I not believe them, as I'm sure they might have sneaked in a treatment or two at some point, but let's say they haven't for ease, I personally feel 'we' have a responsibility to our fellow beekeepers who do treat and who's bees are flying amoungst any none treated ones, to not risk the bees from the treated hives.

It's the small hobby beekeepers with one or two hives that do everything they can to keep their bees alive that I think about, when I hear about people not treating for varroa.

Please don't any body throw the comment about feral bees not getting treated for varroa and passing it on. None of us have control over those which is bad enough - but ' our ' bees we do.

And in treating the bees, you are artificially keeping a strain alive which will NEVER adapt to controlling varroa.

And in treating the bees, you are artificially keeping a strain alive which will NEVER adapt to controlling varroa.

That makes no sense.

If you know something about product design, first they do a prototype, which must work. Then they develope it further with small resources.

They do not rush into whole production, because no one knows, what will happen.

Beebreeding is the same. Pure madness to put 2-hive owners to breed bees, because 2-hive owners know nothing about breeding.

Result is, carbage in - more carbage out.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm sorry, does evolution escape you Finman?

Does anyone know a good place to find these scorpions? I would like to throw a heap of them into the hive and see what happens, examine the Varroa carcases under microscope and see if these Scorpions are feasting on those delicious Varroa juices. The video link below has a recording of an Irish scorpion found in Cork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvNoJOBtNtA

'Pseudoscorpions live in many habitats and are often found in cracks, crevices and similar spaces. They typically like high humidity and are found in leaf litter, moss, under tree bark and stones, in bird and mammal nests, and in buildings'

I would be willing to give a few spondulas for them alive.

"are found in leaf litter, moss, under tree bark and stones, in bird and mammal nests, and in buildings"
There you go

"are found in leaf litter, moss, under tree bark and stones, in bird and mammal nests, and in buildings"
There you go

Ive been looking for months now and cant find them, they are tiny but still you'd expect to find one by now. Perhaps they are only around on the surface when its warmer.

I'd grab a bucket of leaf litter and let nature do its thing

Does anyone know a good place to find these scorpions? .

Vain job. Bees do not allow them walk on their combs. If somebody walk there, it is a pest.

I have net some in garden compost. There is one small species, which live inside old books. I have seen couple of them.

If you see those scorpions in a beehive, I bet that the hive is dead.

Latest posts

Back