Presentation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Avoid the temptation to tart up the presentation with a multiplicity of fades and effects. More things to potentially go wrong, irritate the audience or cause you confusion.

Hopefully the subject is something you feel passionate about and the slide frames merely stepping stones to keep you from over elaborating and losing your train of thought.

Rehearsal is the key; it is after all a performance and you want it to be a success. Talk to a number of different individuals and they will each, in turn, feel that they are getting your personal attention and warm to you. Just like chatting to your mates but rehearsed to iron out the transitions.

Most importantly, good luck for your big day.

Homre, you are 101% correct, if the subject matter is a passion then presentations should be easy.

one last thing from me ...

if possible go to the room where the presentation will take place a couple of days before the big day to familiarise yourself with where the kit is and how it works and how it all plugs together. It will also give you an idea of the room layout so if you want the seating changed you can get someone on hand to do it. Also useful to know where the light switches are.

On the day get to the room 10 - 15 minutes early and make sure everything is working - gives the IT guys a chance to fix it if it is broke before people start to turn up. In the past I've found that the previous occupants have taken the remote mouse, network cables and mains packs for the laptop - nightmare.

then afterwards :party:

Take a bottle of cold water and have a few sips once you have introduced yourself.

Ask the audience some preprepared questions, get them to show you some interest and ask them to put up their hands and pick on 3-4 to answer. Audience participation is a great way to give yourself time to calm down and settle into your subject if you are feeling nervous.

Take no more than 3-4 questions again when you reach suitable breaks if you want to stretch it out, if you intend to keep it short take questions at the end.

If you see them shuffling in their seats ask a random person a very simple question, it will make everyone else sit up and pay attention again in fear you may ask them to answer the next question.

But the most important lesson is show no fear.

have you done it yet Grizzly?

Thankfully no, it was postponed, its been moved to the end of june.

So i have a bit more time to work on it, although it bores the crap out of me !!. i know i shouldnt say that.

Im an Engine room kinda guy, not sure i can be what they want me to be.

just a few more tips, from someone who has made all the mistakes possible:
have a back up, keep a copy of the presentation on memory stick, lap top and print out.
there is a facility on power point to put speaker notes on the version you see but not the audiance, this keeps you talk around the subject rather than read the presentation.

Delivering someone elses presentation is the hardest thing. I would consider either redoing it "your way", or at the very least put in extra slides to explain the relavant bits "your way".
Finally, go through it a few times to be familiar, but don't over do this, you will scare yourself to death and when the day comes you will be sick of it and possibly not deliver it with the enthusiasm you would wish.
Trust me, you will be fine, but do expect technology to go wrong and plan for it. You will look so cool when you pull out your own lap top, or if the electric goes down (and it could) you have a print out to use on a good old fashioned flip chart. Regards, Dave

Well it looks as though i may well not have to go through this after all, i was called into the office this afternoon and given a job at risk letter, department cost cutting or so they say.

Perhaps some sneaky bugger read my post and thought i am not a company man. well i cant deny it...

They are either getting rid of me, or they will find me an alternative position, if its the latter i just wish they would say they dont want to pay me as much and would like me to accept a cut or alternative position, this job at risk process is a lot of unecessary grief.

Just need to find the new open door.

The bees did a good job of chilling me out tho, an apiary is a good spot to think. bee-smillie

Oh and thank you all for the advice, i am sure i can make use of it in the future.

Latest posts

Back