poultry forum wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
I have been looking around trying to fing a poultry forum to use but , stupidly jioned the worst one ever "practical poultry"

its almost as bad as the darkside forum. control freaks and extremly unhelpfull to new members. i tried search the threads for almost a month now and what a load of dribble the do talk about, where we have stickied threads with basics and simple stuff they do as well but there is nothing in them just lots of " i am wonderfull and everyone thinks i am wonderfull"

so all you poultry people i am looking for a new and better forum for chickens, where do you lot go to other than the practical poultry forum:nature-smiley-005:

Yes they are hard to find and I've had no luck but glean some useful info from allotment.org.uk who have some poultry pages, downsizer.net (though there is a lot of dross there) and strangely enough, for disease problem DIY Omlet is quite good. If you can get past the middle class chatter there is some good info on there.

I have been looking around trying to fing a poultry forum to use but , stupidly jioned the worst one ever "practical poultry"

its almost as bad as the darkside forum. control freaks and extremly unhelpfull to new members. i tried search the threads for almost a month now and what a load of dribble the do talk about, where we have stickied threads with basics and simple stuff they do as well but there is nothing in them just lots of " i am wonderfull and everyone thinks i am wonderfull"

so all you poultry people i am looking for a new and better forum for chickens, where do you lot go to other than the practical poultry forum:nature-smiley-005:

If you need some advice re: disease, vaccinations, worming in chickens etc you can PM me as I like doing a bit of poultry medicine.

I'm sure somebody like wernlas would give you advice.
I try to breed Vorwerks but the gene pool is quite small as the males are not very fertile and they are not a common breed though getting better.

Cool I have just set everything up and just need the birds, then a chicken thread pops up :)

The poultrykeeper forum used to be very good. Don't know what it is like now though. It was set up in protest against the PP forum for the same reasons as this BK forum was set up over the BB forum. It appears that the PP forum hasn't changed much.

www dot thepoultrykeeper dot co dot uk

Frisbee

good to know there other poultry keepers on the site thats gona bee my next move can eneyone recomend a supplyer

A couple of people have mentioned that they're keen to start keeping poultry -thanks to the change in legislation regarding battery cages, the rehoming organisations have been awash with ex-battery chooks - they're cheap, and will rapidly refeather and become productive (and very endearing) chooks - absolutely ideal for a beginner!

They will have been vaccinated, and my view is that if you give them the right food and water, decent accommodation and ground to rootle on, they should stay very healthy (I had a free-range egg farm for some years, and found that "good husbandry" is all important -we now keep a few bantams in a moveable Sussex ark, and they too are fine)

The big things to get right are proper perches for them to roost on at night, dry fox-proof accommodation, well-designed nest boxes, fresh water, good layer's mash, grit and oyster shell, and probably most important of all, never allow their run to become bare and disease riddled - either have fenced off areas that you can rotate or strip graze using something like a Sussex Ark so that they regularly get fresh grass.

One simple tip is about "lighting" - you can force them to stay in lay over winter by adding artificial lighting to give a 17 hour day, but after a season in lay, they really need to have a break, moult, recover and come back into lay - in my view, a hobbyist is best to let them revert to "natural rhythms" or you can induce ill-health by pushing them too hard. One thing that makes life easier, and to keep them laying by natural means as long as possible each season is to give the henhouse a window - that way they will awake with the dawn - if they have food and water they'll start their day when the sun comes up - and you can let them out to rootle when it suits you (and they will have probably already laid their eggs)

Here's one I built earlier - http://farmco.blogspot.com/

Hope that helps

Last edited:
We bought some Vorwerk hatching eggs from a guy near Lockerbie.

i have just got hold of a dopzen for these very reasons, i personal let them go mental, for a few months, most go into a sparardic laying pattern, moult like crazy on day semi feathered the next day as bold as me. mine struggle to work out what a perch is and have to be shown a few times from the other chickens.

stupid things like if i am digging i sling the found worms into the pen, at the moment they dont know what to do with the worm though

I have a Vorwerk cockerel and his mate plus two of his daughters. Lovely breed. His daughters crossed with a crested legbar lay lovely blue eggs too :)

Back