I feel like I’m Mr. Bean in the apiary!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello, I’m a newbee and fascinated, keen to learn and rubbish all at the same time. In my head I know what I need to know and am learning all the time, but in practice I feel clumsy and inept. I have two hives (14” by 12” and I know there is a debate in that in itself!) with fledgling colonies (one a small swarm and one developed from three frames of brood and eggs) and both seem to be doing OK. I am learning a lot from my fellow bee keepers who are very patient with all my questions, and also from this forum where there is a mine of information. Thank you!

Hello, I’m a newbee and fascinated, keen to learn and rubbish all at the same time. In my head I know what I need to know and am learning all the time, but in practice I feel clumsy and inept. I have two hives (14” by 12” and I know there is a debate in that in itself!) with fledgling colonies (one a small swarm and one developed from three frames of brood and eggs) and both seem to be doing OK. I am learning a lot from my fellow bee keepers who are very patient with all my questions, and also from this forum where there is a mine of information. Thank you!
Don't be so hard on yourself, you are probably doing much better than you think. Keep learning from your fellow beekeepers and this forum and I'm sure you will do well.

Hello and welcome. Enjoy the forum!

It's a bit like driving, when you first start - you are unfamiliar with where everything is, you have to perform coordinated actions at the same time whilst observing your surroundings and watching what others are doing. Roads you have not been on before require more attention and sometimes there are random events along your route that demand changing your plan. When you first start driving you are jerky, lack confidence and hesitant. Eventually, most things fall into place and enable you to drive the car smoothly without having to think too much about the mechanics and controls of driving and you can observe the scenery, cope with the surprises and enjoy the ride.

Beekeeping gets better the more you practice - hands on the bees on a regular basis will get you used to the requisite multi-tasking and give you confidence, There will always be issues that come at you from left field that confuse and confound but even experienced beekeepers have to cope with these - stick with it and the feelings of panic and inadquacy will subside.

Welcome to the forum ... the good news is that you've found somewhere that provides good and usually instant advice from people who have experienced what you are going through. Never be afraid to ask for help or advice no matter how trivial or silly a question you think it is ...we've all been there (and some of us are STILL THERE !).

More importantly, tell us how you get on with YOUR bees - we are all bee addicts on here and like nothing better than reading bee stories ...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back