Plastic Feeders

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run 12 of these plus 3 of the older design ie hole at end. I can only say that they work admirably and that the feed area is more than adequate and probably corresponds to most other feeders. There advantage over the conventional ashworths and millers is that with the lids removed and the perspex overcovers removed that they are stackable one inside the other a great advantage when you have to consider where to put them when not in use. I stack them 5 deep and put the perspex covers in the upper most and the lids somewhere safe

I didn't mean the holes in the top of the cover cone, I meant the "notches" round the edge of it, the ones that allow syrup from the main reservoir into the covered bit lol

This happens frequently in my experience!
Be careful to ensure complete dissolvement of sugar crystals and don't make the mistake of over heating or making too strong a solution 2 to 1 is the absolute limit when using this type of feeder.
VM

them when not in use. I stack them 5 deep and put the perspex covers in the upper most and the lids somewhere safe

If it's the same somewhere safe I tend to put some of my stuff - can you remind me where that is please?

I use them and they work fine

I use an Italian made version , it has one weir ,holds a gallon and is strongly made (no flexing etc.) however the problem with the crystallising of the solution blocking the holes/slots at the base of the weir cover is a real one . I've even seen bees caught up like wild fowl trapped in a frozen lake.
VM

I have four, they were called cheap Italian only a tenner each, will fit a national hive :) ,I bought 4, years ago, still in good nick !
VM

I bougt an english feeder last year and it worked fine. They are heavy when full and this weight presses the bottm of the feeder against the crown board so i took the porter bee escape out and covered this with tap so that the feeder laid flat.

if you want to remove the feeder when its quite full then take a clean bucket to the hive with you and also a milk carton with the bottom cut off (and the cap fitted) so you can use this as a scoop to remove most of the syrup in situ and tip it into the bucket. When its light enough you can then remove it witn the last bit still in but with the lid removed and tip this into the bucket as well.

Cheers
Phill

Hope your crownboard had two holes. ;)

This type of feeder is good. It stays warm over night. When you put 2 sheets of newspaper over the box, it works better.

Price is not bad, £10

google Plastic Feeder 6 Litre Capacity

Thinking of picking up some feeders at the Welsh Convention

I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons between the round 4 pint feeders(£3 in sale) and these square 6 litre/10 pints english feeders(£7.50 in sale)

Obviously capacity is the biggest factor with the english holding twice as much

Not having used feeders before, how often per week would the 4 pint need refilling - 2-3 times a week ?
Would the english only need refilling once a week ?

I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons between the round 4 pint feeders(£3 in sale) and these square 6 litre/10 pints english feeders(£7.50 in sale)

Not having used feeders before, how often per week would the 4 pint need refilling - 2-3 times a week ?

Depends how fast they are taking it down - the 10 pint feeders usually around a week.

I use a lot of the 10 pint English feeders and the Maisies jumbo 5 gallon ones for end of season feeding (although they are a bit heavy if you need to move a full one!!) - I can heartily recommend both, but for cost you can't beat the deal big T's have on for the convention. The three pint feeders I usually reserve for nucs or a quick emergency top up. Word of advice - pre-order because good deals go quick once 'them doors is opened' :willy_nilly: and if you preorder you can just bimble in once the big crush has subsided (it'll make my job on the door a bit easier as well.:D

I have a stock of the 4 pint rapid feeders and the other year bought 3 of the MM's jumbo one's.
For Autumn feeding I find that I usually have to fill the 4 pint ones almost every day whereas the jumbos can last a week.

I invested in some of the T's english feeders in the winter sale to try as I was spending far too much time drivings ound 3 apiaries every night during feeding!

Dadnlad, your profile info says just one colony. I'd suggest a round one would be fine. I have a couple and don't mind refilling them every second day or so - my hives have been in the garden.
Annoyingly, they are just too big to go into a Pains Poly nuc ...
The 'English' feeder is a big flat shallow thing that sits on the crownboard. I'd suggest fitting it by lifting the crownboard off, carefully positioning the (empty) feeder aligned with the hole, and then returning that assembly to the hive - before filling the thing and lastly surrounding it with a protective super box. Otherwise, a lot of bees get squashed. I've used them at the Association apiary, and have not bought any for myself.
Seriously considering getting some of the big Asforth-type poly feeders from CWJ before next Autumn.

I'd suggest fitting it by lifting the crownboard off, carefully positioning the (empty) feeder aligned with the hole, and then returning that assembly to the hive - before filling the thing and lastly surrounding it with a protective super box.

Or, alternatively just put the feeder over the hole and line up by looking through the clear feeder cone cover.
All my feeder boards have holes in - I only use them for feeding, at othe times I use solid crown boards. Using a black marker pen I've marked the putline of the feeders/fondant boxes on the crown board so i can just plonk it on and line up in the outline.
But yes, you will need an emty super (or a deep eke) around the feeder

Or, alternatively just put the feeder over the hole and line up by looking through the clear feeder cone cover.
... Using a black marker pen I've marked the putline of the feeders/fondant boxes on the crown board so i can just plonk it on and line up in the outline.

The difficulty I have had isn't the lining up, rather its not knowing how many bees have come out at the feeder-board hole and are about to be squashed ... there's a large area you can't see while you are placing it.
Hence placing the feeder on the feeder board away from the bees.
And only filling it once the assembly is on the hive. (so no waves slopping around)
And minimising splashing by filling the feeder before (not after) fitting the protective super/eke, so you can pour from a lower height.
Just trying to it the best way I can! :)

You don't have to crush bees and slop syrup around, but you certainly can, quite easily, with these things!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back