Aims and objectives for 23 season

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Unite early to reduce colony numbers.

2. Be better at swarm management, last year I did more collection than prevention!

3. Make a Russian Scion or two  before swarming season!

4. Harvest earlier.

It’s a faff having to clean the extractor n times a season?
That's the difference with having to extract in the kitchen or having it set up permanently.
Cleaning takes minutes with a small power washer.

I was thinking of a flat roof with a rim around to shed the raindrops, and a central pole covered in beeswax, maybe with some lemongrass oil melted in. Suspended by the corners under a tree, with a pulley to lower the swarm down if I catch one.

I could try a 2nd design though...

I was thinking of a flat roof with a rim around to shed the raindrops, and a central pole covered in beeswax, maybe with some lemongrass oil melted in. Suspended by the corners under a tree, with a pulley to lower the swarm down if I catch one.

Sounds good.
Will definitely try something this year ....I lost a couple last season.

I have one one in garden two years running.
Abject failure.

I also extract at intervals.
Cleaning: Extractor in yard in dry day. Garden hose with high pressure nozzle/
Clean in 20 minutes. I am wet in 10 minutes.
Strip down/clean /grease before start of extraction period.

Latest posts

Back