Aims and objectives for 23 season

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Find suitable place to move the 2 hives from my back garden
2. Increase the number of hive to 5 (increase by 2)
3. Creating more nucs this year.

Has anyone had a +ve result from these?
We tried one two years ago. We also looked around for a 'good' recipe for the lure. A key part of the design (very similar to what you've described) was following an American guy who made his 'roof' just larger than than a brood box, so that when it was lowered, you had a ready made top for your new colony. Great plans, but attracted nothing. When our own bees swarmed, bearing in mind this was our 'insurance policy' in case they absconded again, they chose our plum tree in preference to the Russian Scion. so fail for us too. ☹️

If you remove supers without leaving sufficient stores followed by a long period of poor conditions, heavy rain, dearth, etc.
There was a pronounced June gap last year and I know more than one beekeeper who had to resort to feeding.
I don't take a Spring crop, no OSR here and Spring weather is too fickle.

If you remove supers without leaving sufficient stores followed by a long period of poor conditions, heavy rain, dearth, etc.
There was a pronounced June gap last year and I know more than one beekeeper who had to resort to feeding.
I don't take a Spring crop, no OSR here and Spring weather is too fickle.
Thanks, from what I hear from others and the conflicting ideas Im not sure if its a good thing or a bad thing but once I finally get going Im surrounded by OSR where I live.

You'll waste half a jar and half the day,cleaning a big extractor and all the paraphernalia each time!
Strainers,uncapping tools, uncapping tank,cappings press,then all the wipedown of floors doorhandles etc

I'm getting Vietnam-style flashbacks just thinking about it...

My extractor is a legs-off job too and also a 10 mile round trip each time as theres no "allowed" storage facility at mission control.
One annual hell-day is enough thanks 🤪

My only resolution is to get a lot tougher with the lacklustre queens- too much compassion does no-one any good...

I’m also not too sure what you mean, do you mean many swarms have AFB?, hence the big fire?
I’m also not too sure what you mean, do you mean many swarms have AFB?, hence the big fire?
It is just that in 45 years with my own bees l’v heard of quite a few fires,some lit by experts,mostly for the destruction of EFB.I know shook swarms may cure it but you need the right year and weather.I have other pet hate’s clearing wet supers outside and feed back of thin honey.

Latest posts

Back