people and smokers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This American design may be of interest. I have never used one but at first glance it seems to sum up all that is wrong with "labor saving" devices... in that the old one works well and having a push-button variant seems like unnecessary complexity combined with laziness.

button_products.png

A magnifying glass on ans adjustable arm to catch the suns rays to ignite the smoker donkey poo....

It works
Is wonderfully Heath Robinson
Is topically environmentally friendly as it is not using petrochemical based products for ignition... this would also appeal to the "Natural Beeminders"
Would also hamper beeks trying to inspect bees on inclement overcast days when hives definitely should not be opened.
Perhaps a solar powered electric fan could also be incorporated
And perhaps a bleeper and flashing LEDs to help locate when lost in the long grass

A magnifying glass on ans adjustable arm to catch the suns rays to ignite the smoker donkey poo....

It works
Is topically environmentally friendly as it is not using petrochemical based products for ignition... this would also appeal to the "Natural Beeminders"
Would also hamper beeks trying to inspect bees on inclement overcast days when hives definitely should not be opened.
And perhaps a bleeper and flashing LEDs to help locate when lost in the long grass

In the UK:laughing-smiley-014

this would also appeal to the "Natural Beeminders"

I don't think so, ICH - they most likely prefer to cover their hives in it
:sunning:

It works

:calmdown:In the northern hemisphere.. The Ground Hog ( well our Guineapig "giggles") came out from her lair at midday today ( Feb 2nd Groundhog day) and saw her shadow ... predicting another 40 days of winter !!!:calmdown:

It works

I would never get mine lit with the weather we have

I screw a picture hook to the back of my smoker, and always have done. Each time I replace a smoker, say every five years, I transfer the hook to the new smoker. I carry the smoker using the hook, which is easy to grip and can be carried with a super. The picture hook can also be hooked over the side of a brood box when examining the colony.
I use rotten wood for fuel, dried in the greenhouse for a few weeks. Light with one match, and the spent match goes into the smoker.

This American design may be of interest. I have never used one but at first glance it seems to sum up all that is wrong with "labor saving" devices... in that the old one works well and having a push-button variant seems like unnecessary complexity combined with laziness.

button_products.png

Yes but you have the advantage of removing the hair dryer and drying your hair

Take a look at the Rauchboy - I had always been told not to get a small smoker but we have the small version of that one. It stays alight well due to the inner chamber.
Never has a problem lighting that or my large Dadant - both stay alight too.
Agree with those who say the biggest problem is the lid getting glued down.
Ray

With a Half ounce of Condor in a meerschaum, you do not you need smoker

I have this recollection of the advertising slogan "Ahhh... Condor!" - they just don't write them like that any more...
Must play merry hell with the suit veil though.

I have this recollection of the advertising slogan "Ahhh... Condor!" - they just don't write them like that any more...
Must play merry hell with the suit veil though.

i dont smoke but my grandfather was the beekeeper with the meerschaum and he used it smoldered under his square veiled hat...puff puff and it quietened the bees

he died in 1992 before varroa took hold and i always wonder what the nicotine smoke would have done for the varrao population

Many bee equipment suppliers sold bulk packs of cheapo tobacco for detecting varroa mites by knocking them down onto a test tray/card.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back