people and smokers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A really fool-proof and guaranteed first-time method of lighting a smoker would be an improvement worth having - I tend to rely on a small butane gas torch to start mine - means carrying 2 items around when, in an ideal world, there would only be one.

LJ

I sometimes have problems lighting mine too, usually use a long camping lighter. one apiary last year was a 1/4 mile walk through a cow field and down a track , a pain in the arse to be honest and won't be going there again this year...

My miniature butane gas lighter is the size of a ciggies lighter. Fits in a pocket on a piece of string.

A self igniting smoker would be a useful invention (for arsonists)

i light it with a blow torch and empty it between apiaries,the wife doesnt drive my van so no problem with smokey smell.i keep it in the shed.

As it's a pain taking fuel out to relight, how about either being able to swivel the bellows to one side or a small trap door near the bottom to enable relighting or aid drawing.

Russ

As it's a pain taking fuel out to relight, how about either being able to swivel the bellows to one side or a small trap door near the bottom to enable relighting or aid drawing.

Russ

Yep - that's the kind of thing I've been thinking about too. Even accepting that a torch or gas lighter is de rigeur, lighting from the top is still arse-about-face. Poking some kind of flame in from below would make a lot more sense ...

You could then start a smoker more-or-less fully loaded (even with a wind blowing), providing it was loosely packed.

LJ

Keep them coming!

Quite surprised at the amount of responses I've received! hopefully the weekend will provide another wave of answers and suggestions.

Lighting the smoker is easily the biggest issue, and my idea will almost dispense cool white smoke at the push of the button, no heat needed. But its really important to get into the daily life of a product. See the bigger picture I guess.

So comments such as "its kept on the wall outside before being put in the 'official' beekeeping shed" offer insights which in turn directly affect how something is made and manufactured.

Would people say they see there smokers as short or long term products? 1-2 years or 5+ maybe? I guess it depends on usage? I know I'm quite delicate with mine (even though its sturdy) but it would be interesting to see if people throw theirs about a little bit more then I do.

Once again, thanks for the replies and keep all suggestions and answers coming!

Reversing over it is fairly final.

Thats a rather dramatic way of putting it out.

I leave mine in the garden with a bucket over it.

I do to try and remember not to stand it on the grass when its lit.

How about designing one with one of these in the bottom.

Imaaage1.jpg

Last edited:
By the way - all these folk suggesting extra features (like self-ignition) -- how much are you prepared to pay for these features? And how many would you expect to sell each year?

One reason for the 'good enough' design being stable (for about a hundred years) is the small size of the target market, and the fragmented distribution system.
Its not like an iPhone, selling plural millions each month, (and still not being considered enough of a success!)

My guess is that selling a thousand products in a year would be a remarkable success.
And that most buyers don't see any reason to pay more than at present. (None of mine cost more than £20, delivered.)
Which is very limiting on manufacturing investment (tooling, etc) for a "better" version. Let alone additionally replicating the features of a £20 blowlamp, enhanced for safety due to the gas store being adjacent to the fire...

Something that could be added cheaply and easily, (as well as the plug), is a small lever to open the thing. Old tar, etc can make it hard to open - something along the lines of what is found on a boot polish tin would be nice...

I still have (and use) my original copper smoker bought in 1980. The knob to open the lid failed years ago so I agree a better opening system is required.

Having increased the number of hives I find it too small to do a lengthy inspection - runs out of fuel. So I have bought a bigger one that has a removable fuel container that can be loaded, lit then dropped in thus avoiding the light from the top problem.

A wine cork in the spout puts it out effectively by the time I have removed my bee suit so no problem with smell in the car. If I lose the cork it just means opening another bottle of wine:rolleyes:

When not in use/in transit it lives in a trug, in a compartment lined with tin to prevent fire, along with all the other junk - sorry essential bits and pieces - hive tools, queen cage/clip/marking pen, burr comb box etc etc.

The furthest carrying distance (garden and 2 out apiaries) is 50 m. Carrying full (hopefully) supers any further is a pain.

Hope this helps - good luck

Something that could be added cheaply and easily, (as well as the plug), is a small lever to open the thing. Old tar, etc can make it hard to open - something along the lines of what is found on a boot polish tin would be nice...

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Broke the handle on the lid of mine last season trying to get it off - and it's a bit of a faff trying to lever the lid off with a hive tool as there isn't a decent gap to get the tool in under the lid or a solid fulcrum to lever off and I'm always mindful of either damaging the bellows or my hands

:D

I just stick some grass in mine and leave it on its side for a few minutes to go out and cool down. Then back into the open tote box where I keep all my equipment.
Have you bought a few different ones and tried them out?
Dadant seems to be highly recommended. I have also tried a Rauchboy (with inner basket) but think they are not worth the money.
My original SS Etna is still going strong after 5 years and I expect it to last at least another 5.

I agree that the single "best " feature you could design is some way of lighting it when it goes out full of fuel without having to remove said fuel.

I would avoid designing anything that uses exclusive fuel that costs beeks money. Nearly all of us pay nowt for our current fuel.

By the way - all these folk suggesting extra features (like self-ignition) -- how much are you prepared to pay for these features? And how many would you expect to sell each year?

It's a university design project, not a commercial feasibility study by a manufacturer.

One reason for the 'good enough' design being stable (for about a hundred years) is the small size of the target market, and the fragmented distribution system.

Or it could be that there was no obvious means of improving it. Piezo-electric ignition and gas lighters are fairly recent inventions.

Something that could be added cheaply and easily, (as well as the plug), is a small lever to open the thing.

Sure, and a closeable hole at the bottom to ignite the thing.

If enough people complain about the ease of lighting (say) - then that's clearly a feature that could benefit from improvement.

The guy asked for ideas - that's what he's getting - let him decide which is the wheat and which the chaff.

LJ

That's a good point. One of mine is now hard to shut because I prised it open and bent it out of shape.

Cazza

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Broke the handle on the lid of mine last season trying to get it off - and it's a bit of a faff trying to lever the lid off with a hive tool as there isn't a decent gap to get the tool in under the lid or a solid fulcrum to lever off and I'm always mindful of either damaging the bellows or my hands

:D

broke mine too

It's a university design project, not a commercial feasibility study by a manufacturer.

And exactly how out of touch with reality do you think students must become in order to pass?

Its not an art school 'styling' project ... :icon_204-2:

My biggest gripe is that the lids get welded on with tar. When cold, it sets like superglue. Yet, you have keep the lid closed so as to extinguish the fire when done.

Yep - that's the kind of thing I've been thinking about too. Even accepting that a torch or gas lighter is de rigeur, lighting from the top is still arse-about-face. Poking some kind of flame in from below would make a lot more sense ...

You could then start a smoker more-or-less fully loaded (even with a wind blowing), providing it was loosely packed.

LJ

Oh like a pivoted little gate at the bottom. Underneath the ash thing... Enough room to stick the long nose of a lighter in.

My biggest gripe is that the lids get welded on with tar. When cold, it sets like superglue. Yet, you have keep the lid closed so as to extinguish the fire when done.

:iagree:
The French one I have is hard enough to get the lid off even when it's not tarred up
:hairpull:

To avoid this since I messed up a smoker, I try to remember to pop the lid open and close it loosely, then leave it on it's side to go out quickly.
Cazza

If I forget and it gets stuck, I use a blow torch to heat it up again and burn off the stuck residue.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back