Painting poly hives the easy way

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a good trick for the inside of poly feeders on the surface the bees walk down - although I used salt.

Good Idea ,
my landing boards are first varnished (thickly so) and then have oven dried sand sifted on, then pressed with a board and allowed to dry :).
This is to prevent bees becoming trapped in pooling water beads .
I shall however give your method a go using sugar rather than salt(usually coarser grained) :)

John Wilkinson

PaleoPerson did you water down the masonry paint?

I don't mind upgrading to a plug in fence sprayer. How much is a good one?

I did the first time and then used neat after that. Next time I will water down, but only to make the paint go further (I painted a lot of the garden as well).

My paint sprayer was a really cheap one. Works OK but gives the hand one with severe vibration.

Thank's i'll take a look in home base and B&Q tomorrow. :)

Paradise honey. These are from rooftops aka ****************.

Just noticed something curious. I read this forum via both a web browser and the Tapatalk application (sorry, app!) on my phone. Whereas the web page has modern_beekeeping starred out, the words remain visible on Tapatalk.

Paul

Could it be that CSS determine the display and the filter hasn't been applied equally to all category of display devices. I guess that was a zero day exploit :party:

Were the green boxes that colour because it looks neat, or for camoflage? :) :)

Neat tip about the usage of salt/sugar for the texture and highlighting the use of the cheap fence sprayers that have appeared on the market in the last couple of years.

Does anyone have any idea if they would like raw linseed oil and white spirit, or is that pushing the envelope too far and likely to end up with severe clogging sooner or later or total meltdown of the plastic parts?

Nothing like being daring to spare a bob or two.

I am sure I read somewhere that Cuprinol shades, a specific one?? , is OK to use.

Anybody heard of this.

That's a good price. I find it best to thin down masonry paint by about a third with water but it will depend on your paint gun. Two coats are needed with the thinned down paint but because it goes on thinly it dries very quickly and can usually be recoated in about an hour when sprayed in summer. I do it outside on a plastic sheet.

Nuc Conversion

Just trying to add on to this thread http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6475&highlight=painting+poly+nuc

but not sure if I've managed it very well. What I was also wondering was want to convert my Nuc to take standard nats, saw a thread at some point with a few examples of other people but can't find it now or remember whos it was....so if anyone can point me in the right direction pls.

thats all, nice.

Sweet manged it, not sure why I was struggling with that one. Always knew I was a bit special!!

Wish I was near the sea! Using up what I had in the shed, pleased with the finish. It seems a great nuc but is my first poly so haven't anything to compare it with. Just need to convert it to take my frames now.

Just trying to add on to this thread http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6475&highlight=painting+poly+nuc

but not sure if I've managed it very well. What I was also wondering was want to convert my Nuc to take standard nats, saw a thread at some point with a few examples of other people but can't find it now or remember whos it was....so if anyone can point me in the right direction pls.

Theres some posts here detailing different options by darrenpettit and RAB

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6428

I just packed out with appropriately cut kingspan (raw edges sealed with aluminium tape or duct tape). Both options currently in use now and seem to be working fine. My preference was for the one sealed with alum tape (looks neater) but bees don't seem to be showing preference.

Love the colours what make of paint did you use?

Thats the thread I was thinking of thanks MA, nice one, Darren Perrett made a tidy job of his. Will probably end up going down the Kingspan route as a quick short term alternative!

Used some spray paint that was knocking around after doing some artwork with my son several years ago hfords sort . Prob wouldn't go out and buy sprays for this job as it wouldn't be cost effective but did give a good finish although bit mix and match!

Latest posts

Back