Oxalic Prep - silly questions #34 and #35

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
None of my own
1. Understand that oxalic isn't terribly healthy to inhale (if fuming anyway), but is there any need to wear a mask while preparing it (gloves too for that matter)

2. Any reason why not to use the best saucepans

1. Understand that oxalic isn't terribly healthy to inhale (if fuming anyway), but is there any need to wear a mask while preparing it (gloves too for that matter)

1, We mix it one teaspoon of powder to a gallon of cold water for cleaning hull on boat but use plastic buckets. Use gloves keep away from eyes, skin etc - it is a bad irritant.

2. Pour warm water into plastic buckets -stir with wooden spoon (easy after practice on here!) wouldn't use metal.

1. no
2. not if you wash them afterwards

Try not to drink the solution or eat the crystals and you'll be fine

A couple of questions.

Do you cook rhubarb in your best saucepans? Oxalic is not a lot different (OK you are not cooking the leaves, but rhubarb is fairly acidic, I would think). Might depend, of course, on the quality of those 'best' saucepans. Stainless steel is perfectly adequate for dissolving oxalic acid and sugar in water. Don't use enamelled ones.

Would you like to dip your hands in acid solution? OK, I used to be able to wash my hands in dilute hydrochloric acid, if I really wanted to (no open cuts/grazes, mind). Some would suffer in far less stringent conditions and further, oxalic possibly going through the skin will be deposited as calcium oxalate, wherever it might get.

But remember this acid is stronger than vinegar, but at a little greater dilution (finished product). So the acvice to wear gloves is good.

Personally, I would only use a mask for sublimation, but I have used all sorts of corrosive/toxic chemicals and am a) confident of what I am dealing with and b) know how to deal with different hazards - oxalic acid dihydrate is fairly innocuous unless handled badly. Anhydrous may be more hazardous and fume has a distinct risk.

RAB

Would you like to dip your hands in acid solution? OK, I used to be able to wash my hands in dilute hydrochloric acid, if I really wanted to (no open cuts/grazes, mind). Some would suffer in far less stringent conditions and further, oxalic possibly going through the skin will be deposited as calcium oxalate, wherever it might get.

A while back I was using some propriety boat hull cleaner, I was fine but the other persons hands just about melted away.

"Playing" with chemicals every day does have some advantages, sort of builds up your imunity to things.

I think also Beekeeping does, with the exposure to the bees/stings/pheromones.

I often glance at the obituries in the Royal Society of Chemisty and BBKA and note what a ripe old age most live to.:Angel_anim:

1. i've just measured mine with no PPE.
2. why the saucepan - you only need a jam jar full for your hives. no need to heat if using warm water.

Personally, I would only use a mask for sublimation, but I have used all sorts of corrosive/toxic chemicals and am a) confident of what I am dealing with and b) know how to deal with different hazards - oxalic acid dihydrate is fairly innocuous unless handled badly. Anhydrous may be more hazardous and fume has a distinct risk.

RAB

I've never bothered with masks as I make VERY SURE I stand upwind for the time it takes. Just common sense really !!

I mixed my own solution and didn't wear a mask- had a rough throat fro 24 hrs so I suggest you do wear something over nose and mouth.

Your post implied take oxalic, add water (in bucket). No mention of syrup? OA confuses loads of people...

The treatment material is 3.2% oxalic acid in a 1:1 sugar solution. The recipe for making this is as follows for about 5 hives:-
100 g sugar
100 g water
7,5 g oxalic acid.
5ml per seam of bees.

No need for heating, just warm tap water, and a good shake in a closed bottle or jar.

Your post implied take oxalic, add water (in bucket). No mention of syrup? OA confuses loads of people...

but he was referring to the way in which he makes the mix to clean the hull of his boat, so no syrup needed.

i think he means no need to use a saucepan to boil the water

)

Do you have in England hot tap water in household? Like this?

hot_cold_water_faucets.jpg

1. no
Try not to drink the solution or eat the crystals and you'll be fine

It is same with normal salt. Don't eate it with spoon.

When you are cóking and a recipe says "one spoon salt", how do you avoid that you do not put it into mouth?
- Put a mask on before you open salt jar.

Latest posts

Back