Oxalic acid

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While not too late to reduce the varroa (if necessary), you have missed the boat for the production of healthy winter bees if the loadings are very high. Unhealthy winter bees, that have been infected by varroa nymphs feeding on them while pupating) cannot be a best recipe for good winter colony survival and/or rapid spring build-up.

Am i to late to gas vap two hives this coming week.
No, but as you are more likely to have missed the broodless period as a suggestion, and what i do and LASI does is do two treatments 5 - 10 days apart. That way although some 30% of the varroa will be in sealed brood, by two two treatments you should still get up to around a 95% kill effect. Look up the LASI research on it if you want or i can find a link.

Am i to late to gas vap two hives this coming week.
This is actually the most appropriate time of the year to do it but not a day later if poss. But only do it when the ambient temperature is below 10c or less. Anything more and bees will still be flying.

what i do and LASI does is do two treatments 5 - 10 days apart
Two treatments is too few and ten days apart too long.
The trouble with LASI is Ratnieks went into the study with blinkers already up. Ten days apart if there is no brood is fine although still pretty pointless. If there is brood, you need to do it at least three times to cover the varroa brood/phoretic cycle and no more than five days apart
If there is no brood, once is enough

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back