Oxalic acid treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, just to close this off and as an update, I now have purchased 2 packs of apibioxal to use, and will use the Oxyalic for cleaning only, I have learnt a lot from you all and really good discussions thanks again happy new year
I think a lot of us have been "cleaning" recently.

Bees flying 29th DECEMBER.
28th I Vaped the bees , not a bee out . My underfloor entrances are fully open year round including when vaping.
The temperature difference was approximately 5°c .
all hives Vaped , hefted and over crown board fondant checked .
all A okay 😀

Attachments

• IMG_3336.MOV
    32.2 MB
Hi all, just to close this off and as an update, I now have purchased 2 packs of apibioxal to use, and will use the Oxyalic for cleaning only, I have learnt a lot from you all and really good discussions thanks again happy new year
Hivetool, I bet when you asked you "oh so innocent " question 4 days ago, you didn't think you would generate 80+ responses, most which didn't answer your question.
I'm glad you are now sorted and also educated by the group of complete nutters (me included) that frequent this backwater of tinternet - ah, another satisfied customer. 😊

Last edited:
Hivetool, I bet when you asked you "oh so innocent " question 4 days ago, you would generate 80+ responses, most which didn't answer your question.
I'm glad you are now sorted and also educated by the group of complete nutters (me included) that frequent this backwater of tinternet - ah, another satisfied customer. 😊
Primary requirement in keeping bees ....complete lack of any reason, sense or sensibility ...why else would you seek to look after thousands of stinging insects that most of the time seem to do whatever they want at a time least convenient to the so called bee KEEPER ! I occasionally wonder if our bees are actually super intelligent organisms who spend much of their time laughing at our inability to understand what they are up to and the rest planning what devilment they are going to inflict on us next !

Primary requirement in keeping bees ....complete lack of any reason, sense or sensibility ...why else would you seek to look after thousands of stinging insects that most of the time seem to do whatever they want at a time least convenient to the so called bee KEEPER ! I occasionally wonder if our bees are actually super intelligent organisms who spend much of their time laughing at our inability to understand what they are up to and the rest planning what devilment they are going to inflict on us next !
Do you think they will one day disappear leaving a note saying " so long and thanks for all the syrup?"🤣

Oooooops. I forgot to attach this.

Last edited:
Do you think they will one day disappear leaving a note saying " so long and thanks for all the syrup?"🤣
Yes ... i think one day they may be dancing on mankind's grave !

They are a major survivor species who were here long before homo sapiens and will probably still be here long after we have gone !

Hi all

I've heard back from Chemicals Laif.

Unfortunately it seems unlikely the 'use while supers on' is going to apply in the UK.

They have no plans to apply in Europe and the UK.

They explained the product follows two different regulatory regimes. In America it is a pesticide while in Europe API-Bioxal is a veterinary Medicine. In Europe the regulations are more restrictive as they aim to protect consumers' health more than anything else. On the basis of this principle, the indications for use on the American product would be unlikely to be accepted in Europe.

Simon

Bit of a thread resurrection here but ... does anyone think that Api-Bioxal powder can be re-sealed and stored once the pack is opened? I'm pretty sure the manufacturers say it won't keep, but just wondering if anyone has done it and it be OK in the next year?
cheers

Bit of a thread resurrection here but ... does anyone think that Api-Bioxal powder can be re-sealed and stored once the pack is opened? I'm pretty sure the manufacturers say it won't keep, but just wondering if anyone has done it and it be OK in the next year?

If you can keep it well sealed then I can't see why it should really be a problem. I'd guess the concern is that it will absorb moisture from the air and solidify (which is perhaps why it contains silica in the first place). In a vacuum-sealed bag or otherwise airtight container (perhaps with another of those silica dessicant packs) I'd think it would be fine.

Of course if the manufacturer's instructions give a limit on the lifetime of the product, prior to or after opening, then it may well form part of the licensing conditions and by not using it in accordance with the instructions you may be stepping outside the bounds of what is allowed as a legal treatment. In such a situation it might be embarrassing to have one's records inspected to find that the recorded batch numbers are inconsistent with the treatment dates. I don't know this to be true. It's just a possibility that crosses my mind.

James

If you can keep it well sealed then I can't see why it should really be a problem. I'd guess the concern is that it will absorb moisture from the air and solidify (which is perhaps why it contains silica in the first place). In a vacuum-sealed bag or otherwise airtight container (perhaps with another of those silica dessicant packs) I'd think it would be fine.

Of course if the manufacturer's instructions give a limit on the lifetime of the product, prior to or after opening, then it may well form part of the licensing conditions and by not using it in accordance with the instructions you may be stepping outside the bounds of what is allowed as a legal treatment. In such a situation it might be embarrassing to have one's records inspected to find that the recorded batch numbers are inconsistent with the treatment dates. I don't know this to be true. It's just a possibility that crosses my mind.

James

Thanks, all worth keeping in mind. To be honest, for the low price I think i'll just use what I need and dispose of the rest. Now to the next question - how do you safely dispose of unused oxalic acid? hmmm

Thanks, all worth keeping in mind. To be honest, for the low price I think i'll just use what I need and dispose of the rest. Now to the next question - how do you safely dispose of unused oxalic acid? hmmm

You could offer it around your local BKA. See if anyone else can make use of it.

James

Don't dipose of it, there's nothing wrong with it. Oxalic acid won't degrade under normal conditions just absorb 10% water, but that won't affect anything. When vaping you only need enough to allow vapour to escape from a crack under the crown board.

Don't dipose of it, there's nothing wrong with it. Oxalic acid won't degrade under normal conditions just absorb 10% water, but that won't affect anything. When vaping you only need enough to allow vapour to escape from a crack under the crown board.

I was thinking of using what I need for my 1 hive, then sealing the pack with my heat sealer and using it again next year. Are you saying this will be OK to do? Cheers

I was thinking of using what I need for my 1 hive, then sealing the pack with my heat sealer and using it again next year. Are you saying this will be OK to do? Cheers
Yes ... it will be fine .. OA is the active ingredient and it does not deteriorate with age - keeping it dry and sealed will stop any moisture getting at it as it will absorb atmospheric water and it just goes hard - still usable but you have to break the lumps up.

Yes ... it will be fine .. OA is the active ingredient and it does not deteriorate with age - keeping it dry and sealed will stop any moisture getting at it as it will absorb atmospheric water and it just goes hard - still usable but you have to break the lumps up.

Thanks, that answers my questions, i'll buy some with a longer shelf life.

Oxalic question.i know it sublimates, and from my high school chemistry remember that as going solid to gaseous state and skipping the liquid. The last vaping I did clearly went into a liquid stage before boiling away and then getting white vapour. Would this be the generic oxalic having absorbed atmospheric moisture? And is there any problem still using it ? Another lesson learnt to store it better..

Latest posts

Back