What's wrong with my hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'M NEVER ABLE TO FIND the queen in my hives

I also struggle. I think it's possibly because I ended up largely teaching myself and it may be a much easier to learn from someone else. It's possible I'll be making up quite a few nucs this year and I'm hoping that it will be easier to find them when there are fewer bees and a smaller number of frames and that eventually I might "get my eye in".

James

I'M NEVER ABLE TO FIND the queen
That may be because you're looking for her.

Trick is to relax the mind and scan without looking for the queen, but allow the eyes to pick up anything different.

Use very little smoke; scan the frame perimeter first (she often scuttles for the dark on the other side) and then the face of the comb, but in an organised way.

Either an up and down pattern, like a tractor ploughing a field, or a series of diminishing circles, like a crop circle in a field of corn. Do it twice, then the other side. Check holes or comb malformations.

Queens often move ahead of the frame you've just taken out and you may find her on the last couple. If not, go through again until you find her.

Re-train the voice in your head to expect to find her, and so it will be.

How and when they build drone comb will depend very much on the size of colony and time of year!
I see on your location your New Mexico?…Do you have any issues with Africanised bees is that something you’ve had experience with. Although it may solve your varroa issue! Or does your elevation prevent them in your locality?
Should add I saw you mentioned natural/small cell…The vast majority found it didn’t work, the biggest proponents had been working with AHB and it may have rather clouding their findings😉
To my knowledge, the Africanized bee is not at this elevation (7000 ft) but has been reported not far away at lower elevations.
Africanized bees, varroa, hive beetles...... Yikes! So much to worry about!

I also struggle. I think it's possibly because I ended up largely teaching myself and it may be a much easier to learn from someone else. It's possible I'll be making up quite a few nucs this year and I'm hoping that it will be easier to find them when there are fewer bees and a smaller number of frames and that eventually I might "get my eye in".

James
When I see photos and videos of "find the queen" I never have a problem finding her. But in real life it's not happening! I'm glad I'm not alone with this.

That may be because you're looking for her.

Trick is to relax the mind and scan without looking for the queen, but allow the eyes to pick up anything different.

Use very little smoke; scan the frame perimeter first (she often scuttles for the dark on the other side) and then the face of the comb, but in an organised way.

Either an up and down pattern, like a tractor ploughing a field, or a series of diminishing circles, like a crop circle in a field of corn. Do it twice, then the other side. Check holes or comb malformations.

Queens often move ahead of the frame you've just taken out and you may find her on the last couple. If not, go through again until you find her.

Re-train the voice in your head to expect to find her, and so it will be.
I'll keep trying. I even take photos when I inspect my hives hoping I can find her in the photos. Nothing so far.

For me, it is the different movement and behaviour that gives it away. Hence I can never find a queen in photos, but always (sometimes eventually) in the hive

Back