ox acid

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoosling

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Yeah I know alot has probably already been said on the subject but due to personal circumstances I've been away from the forum for a while. My bees have been flying almost constantly and so I havn't applied ox acid, is there anything useful I could use to treat them early to help with varroa?

You could still apply oxalic but it may have a reduced effect if the hive has brood. You can also get some lactic acid and lightly spray the bees during your first couple of inspections. Later on you can do drone cull. But the best thing to do is check what drop you have.

Shook swarm and Oxalic in April?

:iagree:

As Tom said - do a drop count to try and gauge the varroa levels then shook swarm and OA after is a very good option. Even if you think the varroa levels 'aren't that bad' a shook swarm if nothing else seems to invigourate the colony and it will get off to a flying start.

drstitson,

I didn't think mine needed treating with OA but the mite drop afterwards showed they did.

imo the possible benefit outweighs any possible harm

richard

I didn't think

Sorry, but you are right there! You should have known. There is no real excuse if you are not a new beek.

OP, options are diverse. You don't have to apply oxalic and, yes, the worst possible outcome is early colony death. Just something to consider.

RAB

I went in to Winter with BB below and Super on top, I have a perspex CB,s on my four colonies and can see the bees clustering both above and below, I am also feeding fondant.

I have done drop inspections and there have been very few mites over the last four weeks. Can I drip OA into the supers, I cant remember if I read something about OA and supers ???

Thank you, advice much appreciated.

You could use MAQS once the temperature regularly gets above 10 C. I think this approach will replace shook swarm with regard to high varroa numbers in spring

Latest posts

Back