Oops!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jengles

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I thought this might get a laugh and perhaps someone might avoid making the same mistake I did. 😅

I treated with Apiguard in autumn, using the nifty double-sided crownboard of the Paynes poly hive. And then absent-mindedly left it with the big space towards the bees while I fed and wrapped them up for winter...

Well today I cracked them open to check them and reposition the Apivar strips I put through the feeder holes a few weeks ago (at the time of doing so I thought 'that doesn't look quite right but I'm sure it's fine...')

Well, the bees have been having a great time! 20230316_122500.jpg
20230316_122458.jpg
I'm not planning a real inspection for another month (weather-dependent) but when I do I'm guessing my best option is to scrape all the comb off the top and feed back the syrup/honey they've stored?

I thought this might get a laugh and perhaps someone might avoid making the same mistake I did. 😅

I treated with Apiguard in autumn, using the nifty double-sided crownboard of the Paynes poly hive. And then absent-mindedly left it with the big space towards the bees while I fed and wrapped them up for winter...

Well today I cracked them open to check them and reposition the Apivar strips I put through the feeder holes a few weeks ago (at the time of doing so I thought 'that doesn't look quite right but I'm sure it's fine...')

Well, the bees have been having a great time! View attachment 35457
View attachment 35455
I'm not planning a real inspection for another month (weather-dependent) but when I do I'm guessing my best option is to scrape all the comb off the top and feed back the syrup/honey they've stored?
I’d try turning the crownboard the right way up and leaving one feeder hole open. Maybe they might empty it for you.

Looks like they’ve been well fed! Shame such a wonderful creation will get trashed, but there’s little option I guess.

I’d try turning the crownboard the right way up and leaving one feeder hole open. Maybe they might empty it for you.
Unfortunately most of it's stuck to the top of the frames, but I could definitely try that with the honey attached to the crownboard

I don't have anything useful to add but that does look incredible! Its amazing to see what bees will get up to when left to their own devices.

Thank you for posting these photos, fascinating to see.

Latest posts

Back