Wet supers - nadir or place above CB?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluffheid

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
After extraction I'm left with supers of empty comb (wet extracted), and some supers of mainly unsealed stores which i haven't spun out. I'd like the bees to move as much of these stores as possible to my (14x12) brood boxes so i don't have to feed syrup. So, when returning the unsealed supers to the hives do I:
a) nadir them so they move the stores up (tempting robbing?),
b) put them above the crownboard (with a small gap for access) so they move the stores down (in my experience sometimes they don't - they start filling again!) or
c) something else?
If (b) - which is what I'm leaning towards - the best way to order this (bottom to top) would be CB, extracted empty super(s), super of unsealed stores on top - right?
I also want the supers on/off ASAP so I can get Apiguard on - TIA (long time lurker, first time poster)!

I used to place unfinished or sticky supers over the crownboard (inner cover), with the escape hole open. I found that too many times, the bees just used the super for any small, late flows. Probably because, essentially, the super was still in contact with the bees' cavity...with just a thin crownboard separating the super and the BB. What I did find...if you add a narrow rim above the crownboard, and place the super on the rim, the super is separated from the crownboard and the bees don't see the super as part of their cavity. Note: Be absolutely sure that there are no holes or cracks or any other way for outside bees to enter that super...unless of course you want to see a massive robbing event.

As Michael said and as far as unripe frames go then if you have your own extractor spin it out and feed it back in rapid feeders instead of sugar

I used to place unfinished or sticky supers over the crownboard (inner cover), with the escape hole open. I found that too many times, the bees just used the super for any small, late flows. Probably because, essentially, the super was still in contact with the bees' cavity...with just a thin crownboard separating the super and the BB. What I did find...if you add a narrow rim above the crownboard, and place the super on the rim, the super is separated from the crownboard and the bees don't see the super as part of their cavity. Note: Be absolutely sure that there are no holes or cracks or any other way for outside bees to enter that super...unless of course you want to see a massive robbing event.
Think I'll try this Michael - thanks, appreciate the reply. Hope summer in Vermont has been better than summer in England!

store the extracted supers wet.
Nadir the rest
Yep, why make extra work for myself?! Especially as the only reason I haven't spun the uncapped stuff to put in feeders is to avoid the work involved. Will store the extracted supers wet, and if I run out of ekes (per Michael's reply) nadir the rest.

Latest posts

Back