No wonder the NHS is short of cash ...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will cost a lot more if europe rules that obesity is classed as a disability so they can claim disabled living allowance.

Germany has fantastic swimming facilities

I watched Flog It yesterday. The programme showed a Bath House built by the Victorians. It was beautiful. Full of Stain Glass Windows and Gothic Tiles. For the good of the Local People. All local people. Swimming should be free to all.

In Victorian times - bath house meant just that - a room full of baths for the great unwashed to errr - get washed usually had two entrances (male and female) - good example of one just down from Westminster abbey on Great Smith Street.
How many lengths of a cast iron tub would constitute a good workout I wonder?

It will cost a lot more if europe rules that obesity is classed as a disability so they can claim disabled living allowance.

They already have - case went through the European courts just before Christmas

Last edited:
and here's me trying very hard to put weight on.

I lost 1 and a half stone when kidneys failed.....I was 8.75 st before and still not back to that weight.

In Victorian times - bath house meant just that - a room full of baths for the great unwashed to errr - get washed usually had two entrances (male and female) - good example of one just down from Westminster abbey on Great Smith Street.
How many lengths of a cast iron tub would constitute a good workout I wonder?

This one had 3 swimming pools. Lots of pics of swimming champions.:p

I can't believe what I'm reading. What it is to be perfect, eh?

My concern was more that we are doing little to solve the actual problem we face as a society ... instead we are just sticking plasters on the wound rather than solving the underlying cause ...

The NHS is in a financial crisis and yet we have to spend huge portions of an ever decreasing (in real terms) budget on solving problems that have come about because something was not done earlier.

Nobody grows to a size of 56 stone without having help around them - a person simply cannot support more than about 30 stone under their own mobility. So ... where was the gastric band operation when he was still half the weight he was ? There is something failing in our society that allows people to reach crisis stage whether it is through overeating, drugs, alcohol or tobacco.

What the future holds for the NHS is what concerns me if we do not find a way to reduce the cost to the service of self-inflicted health problems.

All they need to do is stop eating, and perhaps stitch their backsides closed to encourage them to stop eating as much.

Give them two assholes.Then they can rid of it quicker and have less time to absorb the 'nutrients'?:confused:

I'm not a sizeist person but observation will depict our nation's population is getting bigger. I'm 5'10" and 12 1/2 stone and my doctor told me i'm border line obese lol

I'm 5'10'' also and 11 1/2 stone (barely any fat on me) and they told me I was overweight. Doctors are mental!!!;)

Perhaps some people have access to food for free?

Got picked up one day by a minicab. Driver was so big that his seat was all the way back, and it was impossible to get into the rear seat behind him.

When I was growing up I cant remember people being as big as some are now.

When I was growing up I cant remember people being as big as some are now.

I think you are right ... but I was born in 1950 and that close to WWII some foods were still not available and processed foods to a great extent did not exist ... we didn't have frozen food until Birds Eye introduced frozen peas in the mdidle 1950's ... we didn't have a freezer until about 1963 !!

We still lived, to a great extent, on fresh food and a degree of post war austerity meant we did not eat as much ... many jobs were more physical than they are now, cars were relatively rare and often only used for weekends - people walked a lot, used buses and trains and cycled to school and work.

Sweets were limited to once a week - for me a Frys Five Boys chocolate bar on a Saturday morning when the greengrocer came round with his horse and dray. His name was Joe Brindley and he sold all the available fruit and veg in season, vinegar (which was in a barrel on the front of the dray - bring your own bottle) and just a few sweets. Vegetables and the like were weighed and tipped straight into Mum's basket - no packaging.

Dad's allotment provided most of the staples, soft fruit and honey.

Whilst I would not wish to return completely to those times when Diptheria and Scarlet Fever killed people, I had friends who had polio, the smog from the steelworks and general pollution was so bad in winter that there really were fogs that you could not see a hand in front of your face ... I don't look back with any rose tinted spectacles ...

But ... I do wonder whether we need to look again at how we live.

Is it any wonder that people are BIGGER ?

Our bodies have evolved for foraging, and periods of famine and plenty.
In modern times the forest of Morrisburys is always open with produce from every season always available.

As a result, most people have no idea what hunger feels like, never mind enjoy the experience, even though it's actually good for the body to go hungry every now and then.

ps. Craving more sweet stuff does not equal hunger when you're overweight.

The same can be applied to heating. I grew up without central heating, we had a paraffin heater in the kitchen and a gas fire in the living room. I'm now in my late 40's and wear a t shirt all year long with a jumper for a few hours during the winter, most of the time I'm too warm! My wife in her late 30's grew up in heated houses and is constantly cold. She sits at the kitchen table all winter with a jumper, a coat, the heating on and a fan heater at her feet, as I wander around the house in my t shirt.

juge & be dammed

OK ... I've been having a rare lazy day... probably recovering from the excessive amount of money I've spent on beekeeping in the last couple of weeks !

So ... I've never been skinny ... but I can still touch my toes - indeed, I can even see my toes ... But - are we following the USA into becoming a nation of grossly obese people.

I know it's the daily snail and I tend not to believe a lot of what they say - but there are some statistics that are easily verified so they can't be that far off the truth ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2894463/Ambulances-carry-heavy-patients.html

It's no wonder the country is in a state - how much does it cost for two ambulances and a fire engine to get a morbidly obese person out of a window - and who pays for it ? Why aren't we doing something BEFORE people get to the stage where they need such assistance ?

I'm not saying that grossly overweight people should not be treated - more that something should be done to help them before they get to the stage where they are completely unable to help themselves.

ooh for the gift the lord would give us to see ouresels as others see us.

On BBC Southern News this morning .. Radio Oxford did a Freedom of Information Request about the numbers of patients having bariatric surgery (Gastric bands) ... huge increase year on year but a hospital spokesman said that although the surgery was costly it would save money in the long term.

So .... things are being done ...

Latest posts

Back