An Experience of Anaphylaxis

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read this thread with interest.

I have watched videos of beekeepeers opening and manipulating hives in Germany without any protection of any sort and children viewing same hives without any fear of beeing stung.

That is how beekeeping should be practised in my view.

Many UK bees appear cantankerous and dangerous and ffit only for petrol fumes.

If you cannot beekeep without gloves - I speak only for hobby beekeepers - then you have the wrong bees - is my view.. Keeping aggressive/nasty bees that require gauntlets is in my view equivalent to keeping cheetahs in the back garden.

If the BBKA had any sense of purpose, they would be aiming to make English bees safe. Instead they witter on about imports: most of which appear docile .

thats the punch line "if the BBKA had any sense" :beatdeadhorse5:

Scary

I gotta say I do regularly check bees out with me sandals on. But I know me own bees. Someone else s I wouldn't be so flip. Once made the mistake of not zipping up enough on the suit. I got around 20 stings on the face it just hurt a lot. I look after new beekeepers and I always set the best example I can with them, full riot gear and some method of cleansing hive tools between hives. Always I wash me suit and have a couple ready to go. This is really a must. I saw for myself first hand the difference between my clean suit and a beginner who hadn't washed theirs. They were bombarded and seriously stung, me nothing you wouldn't know we went into the same bees.
ah well pays to be careful.

Hi Roy,
This is a very important message. How are things with your beekeeping 5 years later. I am the editor of the Scottish Beekeepers Magazine and would like to publish your account in the magazine. Would you like to get in touch with me about it please: [email protected]

We are running articles for new beekeepers in 2017 and although I don't want to put them off it would be irresponsible not to cover this aspect of beekeeping.
All the best
Jackie

Hi Roy,
This is a very important message. How are things with your beekeeping 5 years later.

Roy has not been on the forum for seven years, you might be better off tracking him down some other way.

Hi Jackie, Cliff from my BKA has been in touch, and I have no problems with you using any of my ramblings if it's of any use. I tend not to frequent forums and Facebook these days, mainly down to lack of time, but also down to the growing number of trolls and keyboard warriors!.
I'm still very much into my beekeeping, and had numerous tests done to find out if I did indeed have any allergic reaction to bee stings. I'm glad to say the tests all turned out negative and after many many stings over the last 5-6 years, my doctor and I are confident that I did have the reaction as a result of taking ibuprofen shortly before I visited the bees in question.
I can't tell enough people in our BKA about this, as a lot of beekeepers could potentially be taking non steroidal anti inflammitories with potentially serious outcomes.
Sorry about the rambling addition to the thread, and hope everyone on here is still keeping well and enjoying their bees,

Last edited:
my doctor and I are confident that I did have the reaction as a result of taking ibuprofen shortly before I visited the bees in question.
I can't tell enough people in our BKA about this, as a lot of beekeepers could potentially be taking non steroidal anti inflammitories with potentially serious outcomes.

Strange how everybody's reaction is different though - I'm on NSAIDS permanently yet bee stings hardly trigger a reaction at all.

Strange how everybody's reaction is different though I'm on NSAIDS permanently yet bee stings hardly trigger a reaction at all.

Indeed....A lot of the cases that seem to suffer these reactions are with people that are not long term users of this medication. In my own case I had only taken one dose of ibuprofen a couple of hours before visiting the beekeepers bees I was going to inspect

Indeed....A lot of the cases that seem to suffer these reactions are with people that are not long term users of this medication. In my own case I had only taken one dose of ibuprofen a couple of hours before visiting the beekeepers bees I was going to inspect

Welcome back Roy ... six years goes by and here we are discussing squirrels digging up crocus bulbs ... just where you left off !!!

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38534&page=10
#Post 94

:icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back