No Varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I going to take much notice of a report that does not take account of the fundamental difference in bee keeping practice between the u.s. and Europe ? A difference that Finman himself berates u.s beekeepers over?

Do you mean Europe = UK?

Uk style resembles more aquarium keeping than honey production.

Europe has much countries which have really very different styles to keep bees.

There is no such like European style.

American style is odd, because they use same system and same bee stocks from Florida to Alaska. And then Alaska University reports that killing hives in autumn is the most economical way to keep bees in Alaska. And it is at same altitude as Finland. And Russia Siberia is much worse place to winter bees.

Picture from Romania

reemusbeekeeper-edit.jpg

Last edited:
Picture form Romania.

Where are the bees though? The only ones there are on that frame.

and do they all only have 1 frame per box?

This rerally is too good an opportunity to miss :D -

I'm glad you finally appreciate that Finman. In that case why are you always treating with scorn methods used by beekeepers in the UK - one of many European countries which have really very different styles to keep bees. - just because they differ from your mantra

15 kg honey from hive...That is mother of all beekeeping mantras.

I have tried to lead you out of Native Nothing...but you love it.

Your beekeeping appears to be more aligned with the bee farming practices in the USA than anything we 1, 2 & 3 hive owners do here in the UK ! In my view, the more you concentrate on honey production and the less you concentrate on the bees, the more chance you have of losing both .... but there again, what do I know - I'm just a UK one hive owner who doesn't like chemicals ! Don't bother responding - I'm well below the radar ....

Your beekeeping appears to be more aligned with the bee farming practices in the USA than anything we 1, 2 & 3 hive owners do here in the UK ! In my view, the more you concentrate on honey production and the less you concentrate on the bees, the more chance you have of losing both .... but there again, what do I know - I'm just a UK one hive owner who doesn't like chemicals ! Don't bother responding - I'm well below the radar ....

:iagree:

Do you mean Europe = UK?

Uk style resembles more aquarium keeping than honey production.

American style is odd, because they use same system and same bee stocks from Florida to Alaska. And then Alaska University reports that killing hives in autumn is the most economical way to keep bees in Alaska. And it is at same altitude as Finland. And Russia Siberia is much worse place to winter bees.

Wrong the key difference is that they deliberately chill their bees in winter using top entrances and wooden hives that are thinner than even in the uk.

Wrong the key difference is that they deliberately chill their bees in winter using top entrances and wooden hives that are thinner than even in the uk.

That is true. Second reason is that they do not have bees stock which are breeded for different climatic zones. Texas and Florida are at same level as North Africa. Then they sell queens to north.

USA or Canada does not understand what means insulated hives.
They use huge wrappings.

Answer comes from history. 40 y ago the border of Canada was free to go move hives. The same hives were moved from Florida to Canada and in autumn backwards.

Stop all this waffle and changing the subject.....

.....just tell us how many colonies you have Finman?

You can't really expect to keep slagging all the poor little stupid amateurs without saying what you have to offer the world in the way of SIZE.

Chris

I was talking to a very good naturalist the other week who said the world is now full of desk top internet wildlife experts....

....one could be forgiven for thinking the same applies to everything, a lot of people talk a good talk and can "search the net" but can they swim?

Chris

A good watch would be "Question Time" with Finman and HH from the Natural Beekeeping Trust.:hairpull:

Awwwww, go on Finman, show us yours and we'll show you ours., I'll just nip out and take some photos.

Chris

Last edited:
Bees?

Well they were here yesterday...honest.

Latest posts

Back