No Varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One way of avoiding an answer.

Its not possible for you to say whether there are mites in his hive or not. Just because you seem to be infested with them even though you blast them with chemicals to no effect.

You say in other places that if we dont treat then hive will die. I dont and never have treated, so your theory is bollocks.

You won't win ... it's Saturday night ... he'll just go on and on .. what else is there to do in Finland on a Saturday night apart from argue with someone who has a different point of view ... at least he's moved up from insulting two hive owners to three hive owners !! You're lucky, as a 1 hive owner I'm not worth arguing with ...

I love 3 hive owners bollock theories

It is a theory how to waste your only life with bollocks.

Aww! Come on, Finman! Pay fair!

I was happy to take abuse when i had only one hive - and looked forward to having credibility when I had 2 hives.

Then, when I got two hives, you decided all two-hive owners were cr*p!

So now I have three hives - and you've changed the goalposts yet again!

Do I have to get a fourth before I become beyond contempt?

Dusty

I was happy to take abuse when i had only one hive - and looked forward to having credibility when I had 2 hives.

Dusty

As long as you keep getting more hives I have no chance of getting into the insulting zone ... could you slow down please !

getting back to basics

i use a one cal. oil cooking spray to coat the varroa board so the varroa stick,

Can varroa jump, yes, they jump onto bees

Are there varroa in dishmops hives, I expect so, perhaps he needs to go to spec saves... a joke dishmop not meant to be an insult, but like dishmop, i had one year a very low drop, however when using the varroa treatment Apivar (Amitraz) on under the VMD cascade system I was amazed whenni used the spare strip on other low drop hives treated with apiguard as to how many mites came off hives with low drops

getting back to basics

i use a one cal. oil cooking spray to coat the varroa board so the varroa stick,

Can varroa jump, yes, they jump onto bees

Are there varroa in dishmops hives, I expect so, perhaps he needs to go to spec savers... a joke dishmop not meant to be an insult, but like dishmop, i had one year a very low drop, however when using the treatment Apivar (Amitraz) on a problem hive (dispensed under the VMD cascade system) I was amazed when i used the spare strips on low drop hives treated with apiguard as to how many mites came off hives with low drops

You won't win ... it's Saturday night ... he'll just go on and on .. what else is there to do in Finland on a Saturday night apart from argue with someone who has a different point of view ... at least he's moved up from insulting two hive owners to three hive owners !! You're lucky, as a 1 hive owner I'm not worth arguing with ...

I've been in Finland on a Saturday night and had the most wonderful meal of my life...followed by wine on the dock by the lake until well gone 2 a.m in the morning...I don't remember a great deal about the following day mind ;)

I've been in Finland on a Saturday night and had the most wonderful meal of my life...followed by wine on the dock by the lake until well gone 2 a.m in the morning...I don't remember a great deal about the following day mind ;)

Thinking about it ... it's the longest day yesterday so it's probably still daylight in Finland ... he's probably getting ready to cut the lawn - it always irritates me when it needs cutting again !

Look harder. I've had the mite board down twice so far since the start of May (cleaning between each use). No mite drop. Twice on inspection I have seen mites on the backs of bees. Several times have I seen bees with DWV on the grass nearby who have been evicted from the hive.

After my previous post that got very heated and like to put it all behind. I have to say that after doing quite a few drop test, I have not had a single varroa on the paper yet. And before anyone says I wouldn't know one if I saw one, well I can honestly say I still haven't seen one in the flesh lol
Drop tests are quick and low disruption, but not precise. Next test to try is drone forking (Fera leaflet) and maybe sugar rolling (Randy Oliver's site).

Some people put petroleum jelly only around the edge of the monitoring board. This is not reliable as varroa not stuck to the jelly can jump off the board onto other bees. Was advised to use a thin smear of cooking oil all over the board instead, and it is easier to apply.

I use one of those sprays to coat the board quite quickly with cooking oil. Probably cheaper than Vaseline and easier to apply evenly.

How many hives have you got Finman?

I know it will vary as do mine, in fact at this moment I don't know how many I have BUT approximately how many?

AND is it a measure of manhood? (most things with men are).

If so I must be quite a bloke.....AND more importantly as you know I successfully keep bees without treatment. FACT.

So, again, how many hives have you got Finman?

Just so people know what they have to aim for to reach your dizzy heights.

Chris,

Look harder. I've had the mite board down twice so far since the start of May (cleaning between each use). No mite drop. Twice on inspection I have seen mites on the backs of bees. Several times have I seen bees with DWV on the grass nearby who have been evicted from the hive.

Ben I hope you are treating or seriously considering it as that sounds bad to me.

Lets do not take hope from them!

I can only say that if you are a beekeepper, you need not to be stupid.

As you have such a problem with mites and know all about them, its a suprise that with all your knowledge and experience that you havent yet found your own cure, or perhaps stopped to wonder why it is that even after treating them with whatever you use that the mites just dont seem to go away.
You insist on telling us that hives will die if not treated. That is just not true.(i.e.- bollocks). Just because you treat your hives and they did not die, does not mean that if you had not treated them that they would have died.
Three hive owner? I went into winter with 2 hives and my observation hive. I still have all of those, plus another hive which is a split from one of them, and a nuc from the other, and a nuc split from the obs hive. So... can you, with all your knowledge and scientific research paper reading, tell us why my untreated colonies didnt die? Might it be something to do with different country, different climate, different bees, different beekeeping methods?

As you have such a problem with mites and know all about them, its a suprise that with all your knowledge and experience that you havent yet found your own cure, or perhaps stopped to wonder why it is that even after treating them with whatever you use that the mites just dont seem to go away.
You insist on telling us that hives will die if not treated. That is just not true.(i.e.- bollocks). Just because you treat your hives and they did not die, does not mean that if you had not treated them that they would have died.
Three hive owner? I went into winter with 2 hives and my observation hive. I still have all of those, plus another hive which is a split from one of them, and a nuc from the other, and a nuc split from the obs hive. So... can you, with all your knowledge and scientific research paper reading, tell us why my untreated colonies didnt die? Might it be something to do with different country, different climate, different bees, different beekeeping methods?

blaa, blaa blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa, blaa blaa, blaa, blaa,

Holy ****. And I should waste time on the guy like you

Dusty

That's why I'm trying to keep ahead of the game Dusty :D

If so I must be quite a bloke.....AND more importantly as you know I successfully keep bees without treatment. FACT.

I just read a research from France where it was compared treated hives and mite resistant hives.

Treated hives got 100% better yield.
. So do I take 40 kg honey or 80 kg honey per hive.
That is why professionals do not use varria resistant bees. They are miserable honey foragers.
It is said every where.

That "non treatment" method is really expencive. 40 kg honey is 250 euros.
Now I use 2 euros per hive.

And that you say succesfull. Treat of not to treat is not a goal in beekeeping. It is toy thinking.
Only what means to me is honey yield. Why I should keep toy goals?

.My best hive has brought 70 kg honey in July. Main yield is just beginning.
Smallest hive have brought nothing.

Last edited:
Holy ****. And I should waste time on the guy like you

Oh what a shame,

so you have no logical explaination then?

I just read a research from France where it was compared treated hives and mite resistant hives. Treated hives got 100% better yield.

So if you had "mite resistant" hives you would still treat them to increase the honey yield?

Latest posts

Back