No Varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That means each beek that treats and does not get 100% kill is selecting for the fastest breeding, and fastest growing varoa. i.e. the ones withthe greatest impact on the bees.

Yep. Same with everything like that.

That means each beek that treats and does not get 100% kill is selecting for the fastest breeding, and fastest growing varoa. i.e. the ones withthe greatest impact on the bees.

So easy but so childish . With whose money?
What about other 31 diseases and pests of honeybee?

Who want to kill his business with that style? 3000 hive owner or 3 hive owner?
Where are covernement and universties ?

Last winter dead rate with non treated colonies was 66% dead. USA is full of resistant bee strains, but however most of professionals kill they hives because "they do not know". A professional does not know but hobby beekeepers know? That is odd.

A new text 2012

http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFile.../515-Danka--Comments on Varroa destructor.pdf

Last edited:
http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/0/E04602A5E7AA060685257B5F004A12D3
Release Date: 05/02/2013
Contact Information: EPA, Molly Hooven (News Media Only), [email protected], 202-564-2313, 202-564-4355, USDA, Michelle Saghafi (News Media Only), [email protected], 202-720-6959

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) today released a comprehensive scientific report on honey bee health. The report states that there are multiple factors playing a role in honey bee colony declines, including parasites and disease, genetics, poor nutrition and pesticide exposure.

"There is an important link between the health of American agriculture and the health of our honeybees for our country's long term agricultural productivity," said Agriculture Deputy Secretary Kathleen Merrigan. "The forces impacting honeybee health are complex and USDA, our research partners, and key stakeholders will be engaged in addressing this challenge."

"The decline in honey bee health is a complex problem caused by a combination of stressors, and at EPA we are committed to continuing our work with USDA, researchers, beekeepers, growers and the public to address this challenge," said Acting EPA Administrator Bob Perciasepe. "The report we've released today is the product of unprecedented collaboration, and our work in concert must continue. As the report makes clear, we've made significant progress, but there is still much work to be done to protect the honey bee population."

In October 2012, a National Stakeholders Conference on Honey Bee Health, led by federal researchers and managers, along with Pennsylvania State University, was convened to synthesize the current state of knowledge regarding the primary factors that scientists believe have the greatest impact on managed bee health.

Key findings include:

Parasites and Disease Present Risks to Honey Bees:

•The parasitic Varroa mite is recognized as the major factor underlying colony loss in the U.S. and other countries. There is widespread resistance to the chemicals beekeepers use to control mites within the hive. New virus species have been found in the U.S. and several of these have been associated with Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD).

Increased Genetic Diversity is Needed:

•U.S. honeybee colonies need increased genetic diversity. Genetic variation improves bees thermoregulation (the ability to keep body temperature steady even if the surrounding environment is different), disease resistance and worker productivity.

•Honey bee breeding should emphasize traits such as hygienic behavior that confer improved resistance to Varroa mites and diseases (such as American foulbrood).

Last edited:
Last winter dead rate with non treated colonies was 66% dead.
any record of losses for non treated bees?

The parasitic Varroa mite is recognized as the major factor underlying colony loss in the U.S. and other countries. There is widespread resistance to the chemicals beekeepers use to control mites within the hive. New virus species have been found in the U.S. and several of these have been associated with Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD).

Little point in treating then.

most of professionals kill they hives because "they do not know".
do not know what?

Last edited:
Its all Ok to keep making references to various documents and the outcome from committes and meetings but what do they all say.? What have you learned form them? That mites are harmful to bees. Google will tell you that.

Nothing that we dont already know.

"We believe that...."

"Figures show that...."

"It is estimated that...."

"There are reports that...."

"Scientists say...."

"We hope to have an answer soon..."

I know some people have become so Americanised that they think they are in the USA but we aren't either in France, the UK or Finland!!! USA losses are just little bit meaningless, even more so with the way the large commercial concerns are managed or should that read mismanaged?

How many occupied hives Finman, just a rough number will do, come on don't be shy, it has to be more than three.

Chris

Am I going to take much notice of a report that does not take account of the fundamental difference in bee keeping practice between the u.s. and Europe ? A difference that Finman himself berates u.s beekeepers over?

Are OMFs doing similar in that by natural selection we are breeding varroa that dont drop off bees or die in the cell not on the adult~therebye skewing the drop compared to NBU tables/varroa load calculator

How many occupied hives Finman, just a rough number will do, come on don't be shy, it has to be more than three.

Chris

Love the way you are banging on with this tack Chris, with the tag "Empty vessels make most noise". A little self-awareness perhaps...

.................Three hive owner? I went into winter with 2 hives and my observation hive. I still have all of those, plus another hive which is a split from one of them, and a nuc from the other, and a nuc split from the obs hive. So... can you, with all your knowledge and scientific research paper reading, tell us why my untreated colonies didnt die? Might it be something to do with different country, different climate, different bees, different beekeeping methods?

When you split your three colonies the effect would have been to spread any varroa load which is a form of 'treatment'.
My experience of the last couple of years is that varroa is fairly benign. The impression I get is that this is down to longer broodless periods due to poor weather and the lack of reinfestation due to lower numbers of feral and low management colonies.
It would be interesting to know how many consecutive years you have left a particular colony without treatment or other manipulation likely to reduce varroa numbers?

It would be interesting to know how many consecutive years you have left a particular colony without treatment or other manipulation likely to reduce varroa numbers?

Three years no treatment. Obs hive has been split 5 times. Same queen but this time I took her out and she in in the nuc. I started out with Warre hives but last year transfered them to nationals and didnt do any splits on them at all. If there were swarms from them I didnt know anything about it. This year I have split both full hives.

Last edited:
The time frame to conclude resistant stock might be a bit short particularly given the possible variables of the last couple of years.

The time frame to conclude resistant stock might be a bit short particularly given the possible variables of the last couple of years.

I'm not saying that I have resistant bees. Just that my bees havent died out because I didnt treat them, but Finnman says I am an idiot 3 hive owner and know nothing, and dont have any bees, and bees WILL die if you dont treat them, but then mentions a test which says that mite resistant bees produce less honey than treated bees. Sort of rather screws your head up a bit. Where did the mite resistant bees come from if bees die if not treated. You could only know that they were resistant by not treating them........ but hold on!!! Finnman says they die if you...........

Resistant stock is commonly the product of natural selection but this can also lead to undesirable (to some) traits. One of the French studies did include reduced yield as one of those.
Honey production was significantly higher (1.7 times) in treated than in VSB colonies. For the first time since Varroa invaded France, our results provide evidence that untreated local honey bee colonies can survive the mite, which may be the basis for integrated Varroa management.
http://www.apidologie.org/index.php?option=com_article&access=standard&Itemid=129&url=/articles/apido/abs/2007/06/m6118/m6118.html

Defensiveness/aggression is another.

Latest posts

Back