OA. How much mite drop do you get?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as Dr Frank Smith stated in his 1965 book 'Beekeeping In The Tropics', since it's inception, the BBKA has been hellbent on knocking back beekeeping in the UK, determined to make it an exclusive pastime for hobbyists rather than a means of earning a living.
i think this has evolved ... whilst they do have some attributes in keeping the beekeeping community together as, largely, a single voice (and I accept that they have little to offer beefarmers) they do seem to be set in their ways in some respects. Beekeeping has always been slow to move forward, even when new ideas (insulation, draught free hives, oxalic acid, to name a few) are proven benefits to beekeeping, but I rather think that our national association could be more proactive.

LASI found that even the highest doses (well in excess of 2.2g) had no ill effect on the bees, using syrup as a delivery method (as in trickling) could have a negative effect as the bees ingested much of the OA as they were cleaning the syrup off themselves - no big deal for a worker bee with her limited lifespan, but a queen, subjected to multiple doses it's a different matter which is where the 'once a year' recommendation for all oxy delivery methods (api bioxial, oxybee et al) came into effect. Another example of not letting common sense and logic get in the way.
I wondered why it was limited to once per year. Makes (no) sense now. Lethal for mites / safe for bees / cheap / allowed elsewhere in the world…..of course we can’t use it 🙄

I wondered why it was limited to once per year. Makes (no) sense now. Lethal for mites / safe for bees / cheap / allowed elsewhere in the world…..of course we can’t use it 🙄
Ratnieks I found was a very dogmatic cove refusing to even consider trialling multiple vapes to cover a brood cycle - his diktat was treat broodless colonies (or colonies with brood ripped out) or don't treat, I'm sure that mindset was passed on to those setting the rules on the licence.
Also as Apibioxial is a mongrel creation which can be used for either vaping or trickling, and it's known that multiple trickles can damage queens, that probably influenced things

Reactions: mbc
Ratnieks I found was a very dogmatic cove refusing to even consider trialling multiple vapes to cover a brood cycle - his diktat was treat broodless colonies (or colonies with brood ripped out) or don't treat, I'm sure that mindset was passed on to those setting the rules on the licence.
Also as Apibioxial is a mongrel creation which can be used for either vaping or trickling, and it's known that multiple trickles can damage queens, that probably influenced things
I remember he wouldn’t answer your question. Completely ignored you despite the fact that the roving mike was with you and he did acknowledge you at first.

• Haha
Reactions: mbc

Latest posts

Back