New year New Horizons?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got some metal langstroth frame runners JBM can have,

I was in Thornes shop and thought I'll have a packet of those just as i passed the shelf " and not realized they weren't national size

so JBM if you want them PM me where to send them

Last edited:
JBM now has another excuse for beehive bits to arrive at home lol

At the moment I think my brief will be to do a faesibility study and determine whether a beekeeping project is wanted in Lesotho and how it will be run, obviously at the end of my two months out there there may be a need to set up some kind of assistance programme in conjuction with whoever is running the project. My feeling (at the moment) with as poor a country as Lesotho if it goes ahead we should investigate TBH's but I may find I'm wrong when I get there. I'll hold you to your pledges though, it's good to know there is some help this side to get the ball rolling. It will be autumn when I get there so maybe some apiguard would be handy!! (either that or I'll leave my successor rip open the hives at midwinter when the snow is falling :D

(either that or I'll leave my successor rip open the hives at midwinter when the snow is falling :D

I expect you could think of someone to take along who is an expert at ripping hives open in mid winter....seems to be a "Comic"

At the moment I think my brief will be to do a faesibility study and determine whether a beekeeping project is wanted in Lesotho and how it will be run, obviously at the end of my two months out there there may be a need to set up some kind of assistance programme in conjuction with whoever is running the project. My feeling (at the moment) with as poor a country as Lesotho if it goes ahead we should investigate TBH's but I may find I'm wrong when I get there. I'll hold you to your pledges though, it's good to know there is some help this side to get the ball rolling. It will be autumn when I get there so maybe some apiguard would be handy!! (either that or I'll leave my successor rip open the hives at midwinter when the snow is falling :D

Perhaps these people may be good to contact http://www.beesfordevelopment.org/what-we-do as I think they do excellent work. Had a long chat with them at the National Honey Show and some of their success stories were just great. They seem to work more on cooperatives rather than individuals and yes top bar hives and log hives were generally the order of the day for parts of Africa.

They told me in the past well minded people have set up people with framed hives, but then they need expensive extractors, wax, more frames ect ect and what has tended to happen, they make top bar hives or log hives and use the framed hive for something else as it is more use as a box for something else.

They say it’s not the equipment, but the information and organization to start a cooperative from the first hives, collecting the honey and then transporting to market, reinvest in more hives ect. They can start small, perhaps only a few people but as more people see how the cooperative works, more people join in and some of them now are pretty much commercial.

Hi JBM,
When I was at Agric college in the mid seventies, one or two college lecturers spent some time working in Lesotho. One I believe liked it so much he stayed on. So enjoy & good luck with the adventure.

Perhaps these people may be good to contact http://www.beesfordevelopment.org/what-we-do as I think they do excellent work. Had a long chat with them at the National Honey Show and some of their success stories were just great. They seem to work more on cooperatives rather than individuals and yes top bar hives and log hives were generally the order of the day for parts of Africa.

They told me in the past well minded people have set up people with framed hives, but then they need expensive extractors, wax, more frames ect ect and what has tended to happen, they make top bar hives or log hives and use the framed hive for something else as it is more use as a box for something else.

They say it’s not the equipment, but the information and organization to start a cooperative from the first hives, collecting the honey and then transporting to market, reinvest in more hives ect. They can start small, perhaps only a few people but as more people see how the cooperative works, more people join in and some of them now are pretty much commercial.

They're one organisation I've told the WfA team to approach. I agree with you about avoiding Western style moveable frame hives :)eek::willy_nilly: I can't believe I said that!) And it has been mentioned when I was first approached. Just waiting to see what the outcome of the whole thing is now

If you have not already seen it JBM there is an excellent article in the current bbka mag covering beekeeping in Africa.

That's it - I'm off!

(Oops - that sounds like a comment made on here a few months ago and like that one, I too will be back :D)
Just had confirmation - flying from Heathrow on or around 21st February and I have two beekeeping projects to oversee, waiting for my terms of reference to arrive now - getting scary, as this looks like a real job!!

Great news.Keep us all enthralled with details and take lots of pictures.
You can give an illustrated talk at a local of your choice on your return :)

Great news.Keep us all enthralled with details and take lots of pictures.
You can give an illustrated talk at a local of your choice on your return :)

Never mind LOCAL - I'll be expecting a NATIONAL TOUR ... JBM at a beekeeping venue near you soon ? Need an Agent ? Reasonable commission charged !

Well, it is part of my brief to do when I return!

A whole new career ahead of you see ... you will be able to drink out on this trip for the rest of your natural if you get it right ... or wrong ... it's bound to be entertaining ! Now ... about the film rights ?

l.

When I was up north of Trincomalee in Sri lanka last year I saw langstroth broodbox being used as a cupboard for linen at a guest house we stayed in, i found out it was a failed 1960s USA beekeeping improvement program with AM and the boxes proved to big for Apis Cerane

Do Lesotho bees have Varroa?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back