So whats the Beeehaus problem?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Omlet know exactly their market.

You only need to see the chicken houses to realise they know their market very well indeed. Traditionally you kept a few chickens in a tumble down shed, and you got some free eggs in exchange for a bit of grain. The economics were pretty sound. With Omlet, you peel out £330 for a chicken house, which at 15p an egg will take, er, something like > 1500 eggs to turn a "profit", which is probably more eggs than a family would eat in 5 years. It isn't about the eggs or the chickens, it's a lifestyle thing.

Ditto for bees. Bees aren't "lifestyle" at the moment. We poled up to our local association and left with the impression that people who paid money for nucs were somehow impatient fools. Proper beeks waited (years?) for a free swarm. Regardless of its execution, the Beehaus is aimed at people who want to keep bees, they really don't care about the cost. Honey and bees are incidental to ease of use and delivery - that's the marketing.

As many have said, bees can become far more of a problem than chickens if they aren't cared for well. The Beehaus is probably a perfectly good beehive - but I suspect many of them will be end up being operated by "second hand" owners.

Well ............ if they join this forum ............ and they can embrace it's values ......... they might find out ....... there's a bit more to beekeeping than just bees and honey. .. It is a lifestyle thing - isn't it ?

JC.

Last edited:
Unlike most of you who have commented on the beehaus and the potential new owners of the Omlet beehaus, I have meet them face to face and they are NOT as many of you describe them!

To name a few descriptions of these people form members of this forum!

- Dinner party people
- Too much money
- Know nothing about bees
- DO not care about the environment
- bees are just a passing fad
- have not done any research
- etc
-etc
-etc

Oh and most of them ARE on this forum as I either recommended it to them or because of ALL the research they have done they already know about it.

And to be honest most of these new beeks just laugh at the coments some of you lot leave!

Last edited:
I have just managed to add beehaus to the list of Hive types on the registration page.

Nice one, will update my profile now.

Ta Admin, I am sure the growing mery band of Omlet followers will be happy.:cheers2:

Well done Jim, i agree with your comments in post 43.

I have meet them face to face and they are NOT as many of you describe them!

As a matter of interest, what proportion of Beehaus buyers go on a course? Note, I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm curious about it from a marketing perspective. Clearly the people who go on a course are self selecting as "more interested". How many people just click though the site, then just get on with it?

Unlike most of you who have commented on the beehaus and the potential new owners of the Omlet beehaus, I have meet them face to face and they are NOT as many of you describe them!

To name a few descriptions of these people form members of this forum!

- Dinner party people
- Too much money
- Know nothing about bees
- DO not care about the environment
- bees are just a passing fad
- have not done any research

Oh and most of them ARE on this forum as I either recommended it to them or because of ALL the research they have done they already know about it.

And to be honest most of these new beeks just laugh at the coments some of you lot leave!

I think Jim has touched on a few fair points here. We really shouldn't judge people just because they decide to use a hive that isn't 'conventional'. After all, a hundred years or so ago, the national was coming into it's own and it brought with it a hue and cry from 'traditional' double walled officianadoes who used the wbc and it's variants.

Who's to say that the BeeHaus won't transform the beekeeping world just like Langstroth's hive did ? yes I can see there are a few design issues but Omlet, from experience, aren't Ostriches (heads in sand) they do listen to feedback and will be pleased to learn of expereicnes, bad or good.

Having just read Robin Dartington's new manuel of beekeeping, some of the issues with his original hive I think have been ironed out with the BeeHaus. I am certainly keen to see how the early signs of swarming are noticed next year as he descibes. if it is noticable, then it would make life easier for any beekeeper, not just newbeeks ! The idea of a double hive on one site is great for smaller plots and saves having to purchase a 2nd hive, often at short notice, when the beginner spots the swarm hanging from a nearby tree!

I do suggest detractors read his manuel as it is interesting and clearly has been thought through long and hard. Obviously some new things aren't for everyone and I respect that, but lets not knock the BeeHaus just because it's sitting in the corner and we've never seen one (a bit like the apes touching the stone in 2001 a Space Oddessy!!).

I for one am not a beginner and I am keen to see how it could improve my beekeeping. It looks to be an interesting year ahead.

:)

S

Somerford, Steve, IIRC you are running intro courses for Omlet Beehaus, or have I got that wrong ??

Where, geographically, are the courses based ?

JC.

I think it might be difficult to use that to work out anything about the people themselves.

I'm an enthusiastic newbie who was trying to start beekeeping in July this year, just before the Beehaus broke into the news (honest!). I'd tried to get on a beginner course and they all seemed to be starting next year or be aimed at people who already had bees and needed to learn how to charge them up ready for the winter, or raise queens.

The local association was the same: very helpful people, but their courses all started in March 2010, and the meetings were shifting from apiary to village hall.

I had become resigned to having to lurk on the forum and maybe find someone with bees I could apprentice myself too in the meantime. The Omlet course (Somerford Steve's one to be precise) was the first time someone had offered a real taster course in a short timescale, so I went for it (Mrs Firegazer too!).

It wasn't specifically the Beehaus that attracted me to the course, although I'd be happy to get one if they work well, it was largely because there weren't any Langstroth, WBC or National courses being marketed in an easy to order, close to my home, good value for money way. I guess a number of the attendees to the Omlet courses are in a similar position.

Just my thoughts. Keep the good bits, scrap the bad bits and reuse the electrons for something useful :)

a bit crossed-posted there - sorry.

My reply was aimed at the 'prospective Beehaus owners go on courses, so they may be more serious about Beekeeping' post a bit earlier . . .

I think it might be difficult to use that to work out anything about the people themselves.

I agree.

a bit crossed-posted there - sorry.

My reply was aimed at the 'prospective Beehaus owners go on courses, so they may be more serious about Beekeeping' post a bit earlier . . .

I think I've got your meaning un-crossed.

Generally I think all prospective new beekeepers are fairly serious about it, at least initially anyway. It's because bees, unlike chickens, are stinging insects and can do you some damage. :)

My remark, in post #42, - ....... there's a bit more to beekeeping than just bees and honey. .. It is a lifestyle thing - isn't it ? - was intended to reflect on beekeeping, and beekeepers in general, not on prospective Beehaus users.

Somerford, Steve, IIRC you are running intro courses for Omlet Beehaus, or have I got that wrong ??

Where, geographically, are the courses based ?

JC.

Yes - I am running BeeHaus courses, but don't let that fool you into thinking I am a coverted man...I am just fascinated by this new hive and the possibilities it lends to beekeeping...perhaps a 'long national' hive could be in the offing if I get my woodworking skills together over the winter months.

The courses are based across the country - I think there are 7 locations at the last count, I'm in the far North of Wiltshire, just over the Gloucestershire boarder near Malmesbury. About 1hr 20 from South Birmingham.

what does 'IIRC' mean ??

S

Steve how much is your course? I might be interested next spring to learn more about the bee haus.I passed a BBKA course more years ago than i choose to remember so a refresher might do me no harm,particularly on new techniques/ beehives.

Back