New year New Horizons?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had confirmation - flying from Heathrow on or around 21st February and I have two beekeeping projects to oversee, waiting for my terms of reference to arrive now - getting scary, as this looks like a real job!!

Fantastic for you JBM, and lucky too. Good luck :)

Just got to order my black umbrella now - been told that no officer of the crown abroad should venture out without one!

Well ... Lesotho isn't as Monsoon Tropical as some bits of Africa but you are looking at two of the wettest in their year to be there ... 4" rainfall over an average of 10/11 days rain out of the month in each of Feb and March ... Umbrella would be useful as when it comes down - boy, does it come down !! You've missed the worst of it in January but after the rain we've had here this winter you should feel right at home.

Generally a nice climate though ...

http://www.lesotho.climatemps.com/

Bowler hat or Pith helmet?

I'm afraid my brother has pinched my Coke Hat (proper name for bowler) and Locks the hatters don't seem to stock pith helmets any more - it'll have to be my nice rabbit fur felt wide brimmed bush hat.

No wonder they're out of stock with all the pith taking around here :D
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The coutryside looks nice, will you be living in one of those round huts.

It's a beautiful country but with one in three people HIV infected and thousands of orphans (many of whom are infected from birth) it's very difficult to see what can be done to stabilise the situation in the short term. Very sad when you see the faces of happy, smiling children and yet you know that most of them are destined for a short life and a cruel end to it.

Emyr will love his stay there I would think but it will tug at his heart strings - let's hope he gets something going that we can support from back here.

Mud huts are remarkably water tight and warm ... been there, done that - ate and slept with the goats - felt quite at home !

The coutryside looks nice, will you be living in one of those round huts.

Maybe once or twice. I will be based in the capital but will have to make the odd foray out to the sticks and may have to overninght occasionally.
The AIDS situation is improving with the percentage dropping steadily (about 24% now) but sadly they have almost lost a generation - plenty of orphaned kids and older people - not much in between. I think life expectancy at the moment is 42 years.

Should that not read 'sheep'? :D
VM

We won't notice the difference should you hopefully manage a broad band connection :D
VM

Latest posts

Back