New year New Horizons?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the pope catholic?

Well, was emailed Friday afternoon (I was on the train en route to Cardiff for our Africa briefing weekend) and told I'm off to Lesotho probably near the end of February - details of my project not known as yet. At the end of the briefing this afternoon I was taken to one side and told 'we can't confirm yet but we are hoping to set up a beekeeping scheme centred around a school with a very large orchard - would you be interested in setting it up?' !!!!!!! :hurray: Apparently someone has donated a few (Langstroth I think) hives which hasn't been very successful (no training or anything has been given!!)
I had a long hard think about it (about 0.25 seconds I think) and replied with a question as to grizzly bear toilet habits. Fingers crossed now that their stakeholders 'buy' the scheme.
Looks like I may have to wander over to the dark side for a wee while and do some research on top bar hives :D

Looks like I may have to wander over to the dark side for a wee while and do some research on top bar hives :D

Don't worry ... the force will be with you !

Should be exciting in lots of ways ... they hang Top Bar Hives around their vegetable patches and string a wire between them, if the wire gets nudged by an elephant the bees come out ... elephants are frightened of bees ... and it's a kindly way of keeping the elephants out of the food crops ..

Very envious ... Africa and Bees - can't think of anything much better.

Great news. You'll have to find a way of doing a 'blog' for us ... day by day, blow by blow - an epic in the making !

I am green with envy. I spent three weeks over one Christmas trekking in the Drakensbergs. The people are wonderful there but so poor and HIV rampant.
Is there room for me in your suitcase?

You'll have to find a way of doing a 'blog' for us ... day by day, blow by blow - an epic in the making !

We have an International Learning Opportunities website which has just been set up and we are encouraged to keep a blog on that, there is some internet access out there. When I'm all sorted on there I'll post the link on here - can't promise a daily update though (a lot will just be meetings and attempting to organise the project so not that exciting)

What sort of jabs will you need to go there?

Hepatitis A and B (I've always got 'B' antibodies in me because of my job), Typhoid,diptheria, polio, tetanus and cholera. Meningitis (but not essential) Not required out there - but again I'm always topped up with rabies again due to work so it's always handy. No need for malaria (to high up, the lowest point of Lesotho is higher than Snowdon). Had most of them over the last few months so I've only got the cholera and meningitis left.

Hepatitis A and B (I've always got 'B' antibodies in me because of my job), Typhoid,diptheria, polio, tetanus and cholera. Meningitis (but not essential) Not required out there - but again I'm always topped up with rabies again due to work so it's always handy. No need for malaria (to high up, the lowest point of Lesotho is higher than Snowdon). Had most of them over the last few months so I've only got the cholera and meningitis left.

What NO Yellow Fever ... my how times have changed !

We have an International Learning Opportunities website which has just been set up and we are encouraged to keep a blog on that, there is some internet access out there. When I'm all sorted on there I'll post the link on here - can't promise a daily update though (a lot will just be meetings and attempting to organise the project so not that exciting)

Ok ... that was an opening point for negotiations ... we'll settle for weekly or more often if it's exciting or funny (and it will be funny ... trust me - it's Africa - it will either be tears of frustration or tears of laughter !)

Good news jbm, what strain bees will you be getting, I hear the lighter bees are little devils.

Hi emyr, sounds like a great opportunity, does this mean downscaling at home for a bit or having bee buddies take care of stock whilst you are gone.
I am currently on hols just off the coast in Mauritius and just seen what looked like a honey bee pass by the patio whilst having breakfast, will have a bit of an investigate later.
Good luck and all the best.

Enjoy it!! I tried applying to 'Bees for Development' to do voluntary work - but needed 2 referees...difficult after 6 yrs off work (and still unable to return) so couldn't take it any further - VERY jealous - but all good wishes...let us know if they/you need any kit won't you - I could sort the bee shed...;)

Hi emyr, sounds like a great opportunity, does this mean downscaling at home for a bit or having bee buddies take care of stock whilst you are gone.
I am currently on hols just off the coast in Mauritius and just seen what looked like a honey bee pass by the patio whilst having breakfast, will have a bit of an investigate later.
Good luck and all the best.

If all goes to plan and I'm off end of February I should be home mid May - I will be meeeting my cousin in Johannesburg airport on the way back for a coffee so may miss my scheduled flight home and have to stay for a few wee.. err hours extra for the next plane out :D a few have offered to 'bee sit' for me, so I'll be hunting favours in the next few weeks (and spending some time in the chamber of secrets preparing loads of kit in case it's a good spring)

Yep it was a honey bee, seen a few now, will track down a jar of finest local honey for your collection.............oh is it you or Chris who collects jars from around the world.
Time you are back should be flat out swarm season, that's my excuse for going away this time of year.........oh and the marlin fishing is better :sunning:

Ok not sure what forage is here lots of bushes and trees in flower, lots of mangos, will check and get a couple of jars for next time I see you both. Cheers

If all goes to plan and I'm off end of February I should be home mid May - I will be meeeting my cousin in Johannesburg airport on the way back for a coffee so may miss my scheduled flight home and have to stay for a few wee.. err hours extra for the next plane out :D a few have offered to 'bee sit' for me, so I'll be hunting favours in the next few weeks (and spending some time in the chamber of secrets preparing loads of kit in case it's a good spring)

Hi Emyr,

Having worked in Africa, it occurred to me that you may face a situation where there is very little in the way of tools and fastenings to make hives and almost certainly nothing in the way of beekeeping equipment.

I have a few spare hand tools and a box or two of screws that I could offer and a new hive tool that I will never use ...

So, it occurred to me, with the number of people who contribute to this forum, there are bound to be a few others who have surplus kit, beekeeping clothes or basic tools, screws or nails that they could contribute to a 'box of goodies' that would be very useful to you if it were shipped out.

I feel sure that it would be possible to beg a bit of space in a part container load for a crate to be shipped out in return for a bit of good publicity for the shipping company.

Anyone else with anything they can spare to help JBM fulfill his dream job and leave a legacy behind him when he returns ?

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::party:

What a brilliant idea.
If JB has room to take stuff I'll throw in some screwdrivers I got for Christmas.

I can add some bits for sure. What we need is either a couple of collection / drop off points or parcel it up. Maybe Thornes or Maisemoore could help with this, we get it to them they get it to JBM or even final destination.
Will await trip confirmation and maybe some idea of what would be of use, guessing loads of odd national bits won't be, but langstroff and tools, screws, nails would
Great idea.

Latest posts

Back