Natural or Unmanaged?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drone brood culling for swarm prevention? New one on me, would love to hear the theory?

To be fair I think he was giving examples of practises he doesn't like - not saying drone culling stops swarming. I could be wrong.

I don't clip queen wings, but do cull drones. It's the best way to to check varroa.

Since some of this thread has been an attempt at a discussion of swarm control methods, could you please expand on how one might use drone culling to control swarming, and give examples of where this is practised?

I didn't say that drone culling was used for swarm prevention ... it's just my poor command of the english language which you have been now kind enough to draw to my attention ... thank you. The drone culling (another unnecessary and barbaric act in my book) should have been in brackets or part of another sentence ... you know what it's like when you are in full flow ... future thoughts transmit to present fingers ...

To be fair I think he was giving examples of practises he doesn't like - not saying drone culling stops swarming. I could be wrong.

I don't clip queen wings, but do cull drones. It's the best way to to check varroa.

Thanks Domino, we don't always agree but on this occasion we do .. you beat me to it !

Phil

From my experiences that would be the minority. I add up for a living, but it doesn't take a maths prodigy to realise that beekeeping at an amateur level isn't really a money making exercise. I like to get honey, but given the choice of a strong hive but no honey over a weak hive and a truck load of the stuff - I'd go strong hive all the way.

You've seemed to met a lot of mercenary beekeepers.

Cheers

Wow ... that's twice in one day we are in agreement .. I know very few people who make any money out of ANYTHING they enjoy as a hobby ... try keeping a few hens or woodturning for a start ... I don't expect beekeeping to pay for itself either !!!

Drone brood culling for swarm prevention? New one on me, would love to hear the theory?

New one on me too, but perhaps there's a loose connection? Swarming only happens when drones are about. So you'd have to go and cull everyone else's drones too in the dead of night.;)

I don't expect beekeeping to pay for itself either !!!

Didnt bother to keep any records but I dont think I am out out pocket so far, but if I am then its not by much.

I make my own hives, have sold about five nucs and one nuc with a new hive.
I only take off enough honey for myself and family and bribes for a couple of neighbours.............oh.......does that make me a natural beekeeper? No?

I cant remember exactly but I did definately get two complete hives from one sheeet of ply, ( 8 x 4) but had I made the standard design roof I think I could have got three. So thats about £10 per hive.

Originally Posted by mbc View Post
Codswallop ! In your plaice I'd reel my neck in, you've obviously taken the bait, hook, line and sinker !

Something fishy IS going on!!!!

Codswallop ! In your plaice I'd reel my neck in, you've obviously taken the bait, hook, line and sinker !

Bet you had to trawl through your mind for that response? or comb through it even !
VM
So Bored roll on Spring time :D

The Jury's still out on whether I just use top bars or foundationless frames at present ... my hive's are the width of 14x12 frames so I have options.

To be honest, it's unlikely a colony would reach swarming size in it's first year but if it does then we will all have had a fantastic spring and early summer.

QUOTE]

Personally I would go for foundationless frames with couple of strands of wire to support the comb. It sounds as though you could adapt frames for your hive or better still construct some to fit. The advantage with frames allows you to inspect the comb and bees easily and a great help when first learning. Later when you are happy and confident you can go with TBH.
Its up to you in the end and you sound ready and keen to get going and I wish you well but a phrase often mentioned is the bees don’t read the books and not even this forum so for me that’s why I think foundationless frames will be good easier not only for you but perhaps a mentor who you have called with one problem or two.
I have converted over to foundationless frames and for me its wonderful I have learnt and will continue to learn more over the years from the bees, foundation is ok if that’s what people want but dull in comparison.
One final point and a follow on from bees don’t read the books is don’t think its unlikely the bees will reach swarming size in the first year, plenty of factors trigger swarming and size is only one of them and perhaps not one of the most important.

Oi!

Us fish have got standards you know,,,

I didn't say that drone culling was used for swarm prevention ... it's just my poor command of the english language which you have been now kind enough to draw to my attention ... thank you. The drone culling (another unnecessary and barbaric act in my book) should have been in brackets or part of another sentence ... you know what it's like when you are in full flow ... future thoughts transmit to present fingers ...

Accepted, but you have to admit it was in a grammatically correct context sandwiched between references to swarming and swarm control... :)

PS Message to Daniel Basterfield : I have read your post and have nothing to add. Your insinuations have ceased to interest me for reasons I leave you to ponder.

No, I shan't spend any time pondering it. You've given nothing constructive, just twirled around a bit then disappeared in a puff of smoke like some sort of stage magician.

sun-hives_2448131a.jpg

Crucially, the hive is intended to be positioned at least 2.5 metres above the ground. Here it receives more warmth and light than it would at ground level.

Surely the canopy and framework shield these hives in the way that doesn't happen with a conventional hive on a stand? Also, being more elevated I assume they are more exposed to winds?

Latest posts

Back