Natural or Unmanaged?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surely the canopy and framework shield these hives in the way that doesn't happen with a conventional hive on a stand? Also, being more elevated I assume they are more exposed to winds?

It's not a million miles away from a log hive suspended in a tree in this respect. I've always wondered if swaying to and fro would upset bees in a log, but I guess not as they usually choose them voluntarily.

And flooding won't be a problem! Not unless the whole building goes :eek:

You've given nothing constructive, just twirled around a bit then disappeared in a puff of smoke like some sort of stage magician.

after finally realising that the hole is at the point where it is impossible to get out.

The article in the Telegraph dated 12th January says

The fact that you can’t readily buy a sun hive is part of its appeal. To obtain a hive like this requires a certain effort, as it does not lend itself to a production line. The hive is made by hand from rye-straw and it needs a shelter, to protect it from weather. People come together to make hives in special workshops.
Suddenly they are available for sale, whereas I cant remember them being so yesterday.

Spot the Bee Competition

To me that whole arrangement is beautiful the construction, the skill’s required to build and the painting just makes it a piece of art. Its obviously a living thing and needs management and what I think it requires is perhaps not for me but would happily sit looking at it and not just for the bees but the construction.

It's not a million miles away from a log hive suspended in a tree in this respect. I've always wondered if swaying to and fro would upset bees in a log, but I guess not as they usually choose them voluntarily

True enough, Chris. Just seemed a contrasting statement and picture, as there is a difference between dappled shade from tree canopy and a solid timber pergola.

To me that whole arrangement is beautiful the construction, the skill’s required to build and the painting just makes it a piece of art. Its obviously a living thing and needs management and what I think it requires is perhaps not for me but would happily sit looking at it and not just for the bees but the construction.

I have this theory that many beekeepers are closet carpenters (no pun intended), for whom the having of bees is merely the cover for "Just need to go to the shed and make some boards/boxes/frames/widgets, dear..." ;)

Some ( Me for one) see just that in a WBC beehive !

I have this theory that many beekeepers are closet carpenters (no pun intended), for whom the having of bees is merely the cover for "Just need to go to the shed and make some boards/boxes/frames/widgets, dear..." ;)

Yes Dan I think the need to make things runs deep inside many people and for many my self included make a living out of it, often gaining more than financial gain. For me when someone makes something that turns my head I don’t attack it, it only inspires me, bless ;)

That looks like a nice sheltered apairy.

I used to run about twenty five WBC hives several years ago, some of the lifts painted but mostly plain cedar, still have a few now, but no bees in them anymore.

Old WBC hives were selling on that well known auction site a couple of years ago for a lot of money, more than some of the new ones even.

The Jury's still out on whether I just use top bars or foundationless frames at present ... my hive's are the width of 14x12 frames so I have options.

To be honest, it's unlikely a colony would reach swarming size in it's first year but if it does then we will all have had a fantastic spring and early summer.

QUOTE]

Personally I would go for foundationless frames with couple of strands of wire to support the comb. It sounds as though you could adapt frames for your hive or better still construct some to fit. The advantage with frames allows you to inspect the comb and bees easily and a great help when first learning. Later when you are happy and confident you can go with TBH.
Its up to you in the end and you sound ready and keen to get going and I wish you well but a phrase often mentioned is the bees don’t read the books and not even this forum so for me that’s why I think foundationless frames will be good easier not only for you but perhaps a mentor who you have called with one problem or two.
I have converted over to foundationless frames and for me its wonderful I have learnt and will continue to learn more over the years from the bees, foundation is ok if that’s what people want but dull in comparison.
One final point and a follow on from bees don’t read the books is don’t think its unlikely the bees will reach swarming size in the first year, plenty of factors trigger swarming and size is only one of them and perhaps not one of the most important.

Thanks Tom, I would admit that I was thinking that frames would make life easier in the early days ... I've got a pretty comprehensive workshop and making them myself is not a problem .. I hadn't considered adding wires but that's a very good idea ... it was more the use of foundation (both the cell size and the potential contamination from latent chemicals) that I had the problem with. As for swarming ... well, I'm still learning and the majority of bee books really only quote colony size, a hive full of honey or overheating of the hive as the principle reasons for swarming ... it doesn't surprise me that there are other, less determinate, factors that cause swarming. As you rightly point out ... the bees don't read the right books !

Accepted, but you have to admit it was in a grammatically correct context sandwiched between references to swarming and swarm control... :)

Yep, I admit that ... as I said future thoughts connected to present fingers ... I'm apt to forget commas as well ... I've read enough to know what causes swarms, generally ... but as I've learnt today ... there can be other reasons.

Some of us are not just closet woodworkers ... there's a lot of satisfaction found in making things out of wood ... and I don't mean the repetitive type of activity putting together pre-cut frames etc (although it can be satisfying) but actually starting with a real piece of wood (it could be a reclaimed pallet or a nice chunk of walnut) and letting the wood dictate what final form it's going to take ~ whether it's a hive or something less functional.

Looks nice but what are the green things in the background?

They are BeeHiveSupplies polly hives.... We seem to have a bit of an eclectic mix of hives.. mostly taking National standard frames.
The WBCs look pretty and are the usual occupants of the orchard area of my garden... my queen rearing was quite successful for the NZ lingusta ( a long line of selected breeding by one of the South Hams Beekeepers who generously let me have some a few years back along...) and are overwintering ready to go to a new local apiary....

Some of us are not just closet woodworkers ... there's a lot of satisfaction found in making things out of wood ... and I don't mean the repetitive type of activity putting together pre-cut frames etc (although it can be satisfying) but actually starting with a real piece of wood (it could be a reclaimed pallet or a nice chunk of walnut) and letting the wood dictate what final form it's going to take ~ whether it's a hive or something less functional.

Must be so... have some incredible brood boxes acquired from a boatbuilder / beekeeper in Hayle Cornwall... made from mahogany and teak, with a WBC type slider entrance blocker and a portico that is in the Greek tradition !
Some are bottom spaced others top... seems not to worry the
Amm​
inhabiting them too much !

Presactly ! A rich persons folly.

You could be right Dan. The problem now, is going to be where to put that gear especially if all had to come home.

Latest posts

Back