Natural or Unmanaged?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Copied from a blog

....... never takes honey from the bees, but places boxes over the hives and if the bees have enough honey they will give some. This made me wonder that maybe supermarket honey is not as nice as honey that is given because bees have decided to give it rather than having it forcibly taken.”

How do the bees signal that they don't want a particular box full of honey, that it is surplus and ready to be given?

Do they talk to their "guardian", whom they love so?

Copied from a blog

My uncle Dai had the same idea with his dairy farm - he'd just leave a few buckets around, ask the cows nicely and voila!.........

He wasn't sued for bancruptcy or taken to court for animal cruelty - his psychiatrist said it wasn't safe to leave him out of his little rubber room.

If the bees will freely give their honey out of a sense of kindness and gratitude - why not leave a jar outside and tell the buggers to fill it up and save us the hassle of extracting!

There should be a law against this childish anthropomorphism getting chucked about all the time

There should be a law against this childish anthropomorphism getting chucked about all the time

No, People are free to say what they believe in.. Freedom of Speech.

It's the people who read and believe in it that are the problem...

It's the people who read and believe in it that are the problem...
and because they know no different they assume its correct.

I can't imagine anyone is that far off their trolly.

Really ?
You must realise most country pursuits are now dominated by urban types saving the world by leaving their rat race.
I wholeheartedly agree with a sentiment you expressed in a different thread hoping city people would stay there so as not to come and further clutter the countryside.

Really ?
You must realise most country pursuits are now dominated by urban types saving the world by leaving their rat race.
I wholeheartedly agree with a sentiment you expressed in a different thread hoping city people would stay there so as not to come and further clutter the countryside.
:iagree::iagree:

Last edited:
hoping city people would stay there so as not to come and further clutter the countryside.
I love the ones who move to the country and then start a campaign about the smells and animal noises.

Some time back there was a lady on the radio who had a self sufficient small holding. Some of her young daughters school friends stayed there for the weekend and saw all the chickens and pigs. etc.
Some days later she got a nasty phone call from one of the the girls mothers saying "because of you my daughter is now not eating properly and says she is going be a vegetarian"

Or indeed farming practices...

Mid seventies, complaints from incomers about the smell of silage.
When the cows eventually went (other reasons) , it changed to " oh we do miss seeing the cows (Guernseys) walk down the road.
Open plan gardens on a new bungalow estate finished one farmers dairying in the village, he moved out, then had a heart attack.
To late was the cry.
Nothing changes.

It's like the muppets who move into a town and then complain about the church bells.

There is nothing like the smell of fresh silage on a hot day: love it.

The real 'pains in the Arris' are townies who relocate into the country and then try to turn it back into some kind of idealised, fictional Farmer Giles' farmyard that they think they heard about back in the 1950's during an episode of The Archers.

Talking about the 1950's - did you know that an audience of some 15 million people were regularly entertained at that time by the ventriloquist Peter Brough and his dummy Archie Andrews ?

So what ? Well, this ventriloquist's act was on the radio ...

LJ

What's this? a neo peasants revoltion?
Some kind of Watt Tyler appreciation society ?
We're all farmers at heart ! take the Italians, they herd sheep through large industrial towns just so as to maintain their connections with their ancestry.
Come on Bumpkins , a little more thought . the industrial revolution was only a very few centuries ago :D
My own village had 14 collieries employing thousands yet it had more farms (at the same time ) Alas the mines have gone and so have most of the farms , swamped by overspill from nearby cities !! Oh! Hum!
VM

Latest posts

Back