• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

native irish bees wanted before I buy non-native

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishguy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 over wintered nucs
Im finding it difficult to source Irish black bees without having to join an association. I will join this in due time but will be buying all my kit,frames and making my hives and hopefully gey started in may before I spend the 100 euro on joining and taking the beginners course. I'll be needing 2 nucs or swarms

Join the NIHBS, cost is 20 euro per year, good contacts for Native Irish honeybees - I'm sure there will be some guys in your area. Where are you?

What's the nihbs. I'm in the west , not to far from westport which has an association there but I've to pay 50 Euro then have to pay another 50 for a beginners course before they will sell me bees. It might not sound like much but when added to my bill for hives, tools, suits etc.. It's an expense that I'll put off till last to be honest.

What's the nihbs. I'm in the west , not to far from westport which has an association there but I've to pay 50 Euro then have to pay another 50 for a beginners course before they will sell me bees. It might not sound like much but when added to my bill for hives, tools, suits etc.. It's an expense that I'll put off till last to be honest.

Irishguy
(nihbs) It's the native Irish honey bee society.
Hope you get sorted out.

I would imagine you will save more than €100 on the bees, so not joining may be a false economy.

Im finding it difficult to source Irish black bees without having to join an association. I will join this in due time but will be buying all my kit,frames and making my hives and hopefully gey started in may before I spend the 100 euro on joining and taking the beginners course. I'll be needing 2 nucs or swarms

Have you kept bees before? If not, you are best doing your course. You'll almost certainly find the bees are cheaper because you're a member.

But let me know where you are as I'd love to come and see next time I am over.

I'm a south Galway Beekeeper, I'm a member of NIHBS and the local bee keeping association. Like the other comments I would strongly suggest joining the organisation and doing a course first. There will be no problem getting nukes this year I'd imagine because of the good winter survival rate but it could be a bit difficult before the middle of June. Don't get non Native bees they wont be as good here in the wet west and you will become very unpopular with your neighbouring beekeepers. There are at least 2 beekeepers in the Mayo area that sell nukes of black native bees.

Latest posts

Back