National deep tangential adaptor?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've gone to start loading the Honey extractor with deep frames of honey and realised it only takes shallows.

Does anyone know if i can get a tangential deep compatible metal cage thing for this Lyson extractor?
1000031869.jpg
I don't fancy having spend £1,000+ on a new deep electric extractor.
Thanks

I've gone to start loading the Honey extractor with deep frames of honey and realised it only takes shallows.

Does anyone know if i can get a tangential deep compatible metal cage thing for this Lyson extractor?
View attachment 40807
Thanks
Hi Paul,
What is the distance across the cage in each quadrant - as in where you would put a tangential screen?
Depth?

View attachment 40807
Thanks
Yes. I've just purchased a radial cage (@ 195.00) for my unit to replace the 6 super frame or 3 brood frame tri lobe tangential. I have the tri lobe as a spare but might be persuaded to make an arrangement if the price is right. Pity you didn't mention it earlier. 😎

Attachments

• IMG_20240728_132615.jpg
    IMG_20240728_132615.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Yes. I've just purchased a radial cage (@ 195.00) for my unit to replace the 6 super frame or 3 brood frame tri lobe tangential. I have the tri lobe as a spare but might be persuaded to make an arrangement if the price is right. Pity you didn't mention it earlier. 😎
Thanks for the reply post.

10:30 last night, I was inspired to email Abelo customer services, to see if they could sell me a tangential frame for my Lyson extractor. To my surprise, Damian (the director) replied almost immediately, telling me the drum wasn't big enough. So, he's sold me 4 of these screens that fit my 12 shallow frame extractor - so I can run 4 deep frames at once.
https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/extractors/tangential-screen-for-12-frame-radial-extractor/

Out of interest, in case the frames don't work, what is the diameter of your extractor drum? Also, is it Lyson?

Thanks.

Last edited:

10:30 last night, I was inspired to email Abelo customer services, to see if they could sell me a tangential frame for my Lyson extractor. To my surprise, Damian (the director) replied almost immediately, telling me the drum wasn't big enough. So, he's sold me 4 of these screens that fit my 12 shallow frame extractor - so I can run 4 deep frames at once.
https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/extractors/tangential-screen-for-12-frame-radial-extractor/

Out of interest, in case the frames don't work, what is the diameter of your extractor drum? Also, is it Lyson?

Thanks.
Depending on the width and depth you have in your existing cage, I wondered if another brand may have fitted, or nearly fitted (post #2)? These are apparently 30x40cm.
https://www.honey-extractors.co.uk/tangential-screen-for-radial-cage-stainless-steel

Last edited:
Could you not just put in 4 deep frames, one in each section, without the screens? Someone I know does that in their 12 frame extractor but I'm not sure of the brand so depth to centre may be bigger in theirs.

Could you not just put in 4 deep frames, one in each section, without the screens? Someone I know does that in their 12 frame extractor but I'm not sure of the brand so depth to centre may be bigger in theirs.
Do you mean in a radial arrangement? If so, the deep frames are too big.

Thanks.
I've just been out to check and get some measurements. The drum diameter is approx 20" the distance from central shaft to extremity of the cage is 9" so in operation there's an inch of clearance. Yes it is a Lyson. 👍

Attachments

• 20240729_114606.jpg
    20240729_114606.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240729_114832.jpg
    20240729_114832.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240729_114904.jpg
    20240729_114904.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I have an EH Taylor nylon extractor so pretty well old and must be pre 80's .
I use three screens for deep frames , the ones form Abelo being just the ticket to do the job.

Thanks.
I bought 2 of these from Abelo at the Spring Convention - I didn't want to fork out for all 4 and I only need to extract the occasional brood frame. They should work fine for you

I do similar. I have a 9 frame radial but can get in 3 deep frames tangentially without any screens, just propping them up and getting the bottom lug in one of the gaps meant for a shallow frame lug. To be honest I didn't want to have to store yet another bit of equipment if I bought the proper screens for my extractor.

I do similar. I have a 9 frame radial but can get in 3 deep frames tangentially without any screens, just propping them up and getting the bottom lug in one of the gaps meant for a shallow frame lug. To be honest I didn't want to have to store yet another bit of equipment if I bought the proper screens for my extractor.
I tried precariously putting deep frames in the cage tangentially but the wax begun bursting out. I need the support the rack will give.

I tried precariously putting deep frames in the cage tangentially but the wax begun bursting out.
hence the reason for the screens, there's a lot more force applied on the comb with a tangential extractor

hence the reason for the screens, there's a lot more force applied on the comb with a tangential extractor
I've had a new wax frame break on me this way, but all of the older darker comb frames have been fine for me. My brood frames are all wired, and obviously I don't spin at high speed, and spin out partially from one side before flipping over etc. just as you would with any tangential, but it works well enough for me when it's not something I do too often.

Just an update regarding the new 12 frame radial cage. I spent part of yesterday and some of today extracting super frames. Thinking back to the grief I used to get from arthritic wrists, having an electric motor doing the turning has been a godsend. I also realized a 12 frame cage has a secondary benefit insofar as ending up with a few frames still to extract after going through full drum loads it permits easy balancing of odd numbers of frames(or even numbers too). Having hot days helped as well of course.☺️

My recommendation for a spinner would be buy a swing cage over a radial, even if its second hand.

Our box average on Borage is up by 2 lb because the frames are coming out 100% clean and we've not had a single blow out yet.
That's using the same box, frame & foundation as last year.

Our box average on Borage is up by 2 lb because the frames are coming out 100% clean and we've not had a single blow out yet.
That's using the same box, frame & foundation as last year.
If the frames don't come out 100% clean, surely the 2lb remaining honey just goes to make the next box. So over the season the yield should be the same. (Bar the last 2lb of the very last box.)

If the frames don't come out 100% clean, surely the 2lb remaining honey just goes to make the next box. So over the season the yield should be the same. (Bar the last 2lb of the very last box.)
I'd rather have it in the barrel than take the chance.
I suppose it will be the same as taking full boxes away from big colonies before a flow ends & replacing with empty's, they sure work hard to replace what is lost.
This is first year with baskets and the biggest difference is very little setting of borage frames caused by osr contamination.
The spinner wasn't bought by choice so to speak, more about being right place, right time as it was 50% off new new price and had only been a demo.

Latest posts

Back