Nail guns

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outlander

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
12 14x12 hives. 2 standard nationals and 8 14x12 nucs.
Does anyone use a nail gun for frames and if so can you recommend one to me please.

Nail gun!!:eek::willy_nilly::eek:

I use the smallest hammer in my tool box.

:chillpill:

P.S. it's a magnetic one:D

I love mine but then again I never really put too many frames together the 'traditional' way with a hammer as I realised from the start how many frames I would be making!

Funily enough the 1st one I bought jammed and broke and when I took it back to the shop they explained they would send it to the manufacturer to fix or replace and I could wait ot they would offer a replacement of another type (more expensive) for the same price as it was a display model and had the soft rubber end missing!

As I really didn't need the rubber end (only used to prevent marking a surface), I took the deal and it's been fine so far. Takes a little getting used to and you do lose the odd frame part when it splits, then again almost all of my frames are seconds, but I can only imagine how much faster I must be making frames!

I am pretty sure this is the one I ended up with http://tinyurl.com/c935vqw
it was available from Machine Mart but I can't find it on their website now.

But I have large thumbs and even with a small hammer I miss gimp and hit thumb. But on a serious note seen a jig for frames that no doubt everyone has, would like to give a go and with a gun should think not only would it be quicker but easier to and get to own another toy.

the Th**nes nail gun takes too short a nail for manley frames

but is it really worth the expence, how many frames will you make a year per hive after it is established

3 or 4 repalcement brood, 10 brood for an AS and an extra box of super frames

There is a Machine Mart here in Norwich I'll have to take a look in there. Thank you for the Mr Yorkshire. That's where my first hive is coming from and hopefully it will be here soon.

Plan for the future I say Muswell

Last edited:
I use a ram pin that I picked up cheap pretty quick once you get into it.

same here, easy-peasy, much better than a hammer and can pick up for a fiver or less

Compressor, nail gun with 20mm nails and a tool balance overhead so you don't need to pick up the gun each time. Takes a little bit of setting up but makes it so much easier if you do 50+ frames and then add foundation as and when needed.

Mike

the Th**nes nail gun takes too short a nail for manley frames

but is it really worth the expence, how many frames will you make a year per hive after it is established

3 or 4 repalcement brood, 10 brood for an AS and an extra box of super frames

Well that of course was the difference for me, I have so far made 200+ frames this year alone, nevermind the similar quantity I made last year!
Ok so I will not be expanding as much in the next year or so and then the number of frames that I need to make will decrease per year, however I have used it for many other jobs such as building a dog kennel and ofc putting together some flat pack items such as roof's / floors.

Last edited:
I use electrict nailer. Spikes are 25 mm.

First I put upper frame sticks on floor

Then a punch of vertical frames into palm and I put there polyurethane glue. It makes a little bit foam and hardens in half hour. Glue is just help to collect hive frame parts for nailing.I press lower woods into vertical pieces.

When hardened, I shoot with spices. And 2 spikes for wire.

If the frame is not in right angle, I see it when I put the foundation. Polyurethane foam let straigten the frame.

I use an Arrow ET100 electric nailer. It takes 15mm, 20mm and 25mm brads, and is fine for frames. Any of the similar £30 -£40 ones (eg Tacwise) should do the job just as well.

What's a ram pin? I've googled it and all I can find are things to make my computer run faster.

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/Tools-$4-Materials/Hand-Tools/Useful-Tools/Rampin.ice

The gimp pin goes in the end, which is a tube down which a spring-loaded rod slides. The end of the gimp is put in place on the frame and the handle pushed. The rod slides down the tube forcing the gimp into the frame. The spring then returns the rod to its starting position ready for the next gimp to be inserted.

I like the sound of the push pin thing, and worth a look at. I don’t think I’ll be getting an air operated one as she won’t be having that after paying for bees and a hive this month. I’m pushing it suggesting a cheap electric one. I haven’t told her about the extra £80ish I need for the frames and foundation.

I started putting frames together with pins and a hammer and after about the 10th one i thought, to hell with this and went straight to screwfix and bought the tacwise naier/stapler, excellent piece of kit. 400 plus frames and a number of nuc boxes, roofs, floors ect later i dont think I could do without it.

I bought from Lidl the first electrict pin nailer. It was cheap but pins are valuable. However it was fantastic tool and now I have them 3. Two are broken. Cheap ones do not stand working.

10 boxes = 100 frames. Each frame has 10 pins = 1000 pins.

And many other works where you may use it. - And many other where you should not use it.

We use air powered nailers for the frames, and its the guage thats the important bit. Splitting the wood increases with the guage of the brads being used. We use 18guage, but also have a Paslode gas nailer that takes 17g brads for use away from an air supply. Its amazing how much more damage you get with the thicker 17g brads...........and have seen folk use 16g, with even more splitting.

For speed we go down from the top and up from the bottom, and thus use 38mm long brads to get the grip. Its RAPID. About 4 mins to NAIL the boxful of 10.

Latest posts

Back