Uncapping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As cheap as chips. A plastic storage box with a gantry with a hole at each end lined up with a hole in the lip and tied in with garden wirw = the soft coated one. There is slot for the frames ie no holding. For a while I used the spike method but it is a faff and balancing is key. I did five supers single handed this morning no problem. The cappings drop into the storage box then into a sieve into a bucket.

In a bid to electrify a 9 frame radial extractor I used a connector as shown and a cordless electric drill from aldi . The connector allows me to pull the drill off the shaft while it is rotating and allowing the extractor to run free as the drill chuck does not have a free wheel mode. It takes a bit of effort holding the drill and not going too fast so keeping it steady is the key but it worked. See photos
Low tech but I like it ... and if it works for you - even better.

As cheap as chips. A plastic storage box with a gantry with a hole at each end lined up with a hole in the lip and tied in with garden wirw = the soft coated one. There is slot for the frames ie no holding. For a while I used the spike method but it is a faff and balancing is key. I did five supers single handed this morning no problem. The cappings drop into the storage box then into a sieve into a bucket.

In a bid to electrify a 9 frame radial extractor I used a connector as shown and a cordless electric drill from aldi . The connector allows me to pull the drill off the shaft while it is rotating and allowing the extractor to run free as the drill chuck does not have a free wheel mode. It takes a bit of effort holding the drill and not going too fast so keeping it steady is the key but it worked. See photos

@Garry R , where did you get the connector? How did you work out to get the right size for the drive shaft and then to fit your drill?

There are a selection of coupler sizes on ebay number 225144150240 Unfortunately I had to do a bit of work to widen the shaft diameter of the extractor but I used a piece of steel tube with a lengthwise split which the coupler fits over and tightens up using the fitted tightening bolt. For the drill end I just used a piece of steel rod - I think 10mm which was the maximum accepted by the drill chuck and fitted the coupler on it. The plastic claw coupler is pretty tight and I am considering filing it a little so it slips off more easily when you want to disconnect the drill from the shaft, Hope this helps. As I said I was told that a mains electric drill can burn out if you use one but the cordless seems to be fine and I use slow speed. If you want more info get in touch. Worth bearing in mind that I was quoted £600 for the correct motor and this fix was less than £10 for the coupler!!

There are a selection of coupler sizes on ebay number 225144150240 Unfortunately I had to do a bit of work to widen the shaft diameter of the extractor but I used a piece of steel tube with a lengthwise split which the coupler fits over and tightens up using the fitted tightening bolt. For the drill end I just used a piece of steel rod - I think 10mm which was the maximum accepted by the drill chuck and fitted the coupler on it. The plastic claw coupler is pretty tight and I am considering filing it a little so it slips off more easily when you want to disconnect the drill from the shaft, Hope this helps. As I said I was told that a mains electric drill can burn out if you use one but the cordless seems to be fine and I use slow speed. If you want more info get in touch. Worth bearing in mind that I was quoted £600 for the correct motor and this fix was less than £10 for the coupler!!
Thank you Gary....I'll report back if I achieve a fix with your level of functionality.

Latest posts

Back