Sealing frame feeders

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have made some frame feeders from softwood timber and hardwood ply (for the faces) fixed together with D4 wood glue and nails. I'm disinclined to seal them in favour of allowing the bees to do that for me the first time they get used. Any slight weeping will surely get handled by the bees too, as long as syrup isn't pouring out. Does this seem reasonable?

James

The trouble with not sealing them is that if it does cause problems eg excessive leaks or ply delamination it may then be difficult to remove the sugar from crevices to allow a sealant in.
Wax sounds ok but I wonder if it would prompt the bees to draw comb in the feeder.
I'd give them a few coats of paint inside.

The trouble with not sealing them is that if it does cause problems eg excessive leaks or ply delamination it may then be difficult to remove the sugar from crevices to allow a sealant in.
Wax sounds ok but I wonder if it would prompt the bees to draw comb in the feeder.
I'd give them a few coats of paint inside.
I’ve always used an expanding PU glue and nail gun to build my feeders without any problems.

I've used the Soudal stuff a fair bit. Oddly enough in the temperatures we're currently experiencing it goes a bit like honey and is quite awkward to use. I may start storing it in the house in the winter so it's a little more runny.

James

I've used the Soudal stuff a fair bit. Oddly enough in the temperatures we're currently experiencing it goes a bit like honey and is quite awkward to use. I may start storing it in the house in the winter so it's a little more runny.

James
The last person to sell me Titebond recommended putting a sock around it to keep it warm...to preserve it.

I have been using my 9 frame feeders every year over the past 13 years without any sign of leakage. A mix of 4mm and 6mm plywood (nothing special and whatever I had left over from other jobs) with the ends and bottom being 9mm softwood, held together by Evostick exterior glue and a few frame nails. No treatment of the wood. Also a 4mm float of softwood with holes drilled through and which fits just inside covering most of the syrup to guard against drowning. The only problem I've had with brace comb is if the syrup runs out. They tend to build it and lock the float on the bottom which can cause some bees to drown when they pile into the chamber. I check before topping up using a plastic watering can with a long spout. This stops any spills. I often get some bees leaning over to sup from the stream when filling

I have made some frame feeders from softwood timber and hardwood ply (for the faces) fixed together with D4 wood glue and nails. I'm disinclined to seal them in favour of allowing the bees to do that for me the first time they get used. Any slight weeping will surely get handled by the bees too, as long as syrup isn't pouring out. Does this seem reasonable?

James
Seal the faces with varnish/wood stain. When dry , run melted wax along all seams.
100% watertight result,

I think it was on here someone suggested heating the feeder in the oven at a low heat for 15 minutes then pouring in melted wax. I did this with three I made up , you pour in the wax and it stays very fluid but soaks on well, and just pour out the excess. No problems with leaks. Just remember to put in good floats to avoid bees drowning.

Latest posts

Back