Glue gun

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Received a glue gun for Xmas. Think a hint from hubbie to make up my own frames! Have seen over the years quite a few uses for glue guns on the forum and now reflecting and looking for inspiration what to use mine for 🤣
What do you use your glue gun for?
Also do you use it for frames in preference to nails? I’m unsure if it’s more efficient….

Received a glue gun for Xmas. Think a hint from hubbie to make up my own frames! Have seen over the years quite a few uses for glue guns on the forum and now reflecting and looking for inspiration what to use mine for 🤣
Also do you use it for frames in preference to nails? I’m unsure if it’s more efficient….
Do you know what sort of glue it uses?
I haven't used a glue gun in a very long time but I do glue and nail my frames up.

My husband usually knocks ours up but just with nails I think, we don't use glue

Came with 10 cartridges think an inexpensive one from the middle aisle of Lidl!
It is one of those things that you don't need very often but when you do it is invaluable. It is good for sticking up knot holes in hive seconds. just be careful. I always burn myself with the hot glue! I tend to use mitre glue for everything now. Glue on one side and spray the other and an instant fix.

Do you melt old frames in a steamer or in a solar melter?

just make sure the flue is safe for the bees

Do you melt old frames in a steamer or in a solar melter?
Solar melter to recover the wax (make my own foundation) then frames into a boiler with boiling washing soda.(NOT CAUSTIC SODA). All sterilised, wax moth eggs destroyed and the old wax and propolis comes out a treat,. Give a good rinse in plenty of cold water, dry and the frames are like new ready to go. New foundation in and let the bees at it.

Glue sticks for use in glue guns are not created equal, they all have different properties depending on the materials you are sticking and the environments the product might encounter.

Items may appear stuck, but come appart if you do not use the right stick.
The people at Glue Guns Direct are very knowlegable and very helpfull, experts in their field. Home Page - Glue Sticks, Guns, Dots & Hot Melt Adhesives UK | Glue Guns Direct

I have no affiliation to this company, save for being a satisfied customer.

Just nail frames, if done properly they never fail. Glueing is pointless.

I find glue guns are really useful & have used them lots. However I don't think I've ever used one for beekeeping in any capacity, and just nail my frames.
My nail gun gets used for beekeeping a lot though, cuts frame assembly more than in half!
I have wondered about using a power controller to enable a glue gun to be used with sticks of beeswax though!

Neither. Whilst I recycle super frames using a wallpaper stripper steamer, I burn seconds old brood frames that are 3 years old
Yes, I meant heating the frame and comb to gather the wax. I don't know what temperature the heat gun glue would melt at, but exterior PVA is ok to 110c so my steamer doesn't worry it. I guess check the melting temperature of the glue if you use it on frames that might end up being streamed.

I have found hot glue to be brittle or the joints crack unless use is for a static use.

The Americans use glue because they nail in the top bars from the top which means they are susceptible to separating from the side bars. Here it's more usual to nail in from the side which makes this failure much less likely.
I see. I think we are more like America here although I have found that my nail gun can put a small nail nicely (mostly !) thorough the side bar - top and bottom.

Latest posts

Back