Best before and Lot numbers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Does anyone print on their computer best before and lot numbers using sheets of labels please and if so where are they sourced ? Not interested in price gun stuff thanks.

PH

Just use Avebury A4 sheets and their free layout guide. Keep it black and white and a cheap laser printer. These are mine using DECAdry . Same sort of thing.
IMG_20230221_115710_898.jpg

No laser here just an epson ink jet. Also I am not looking to print labels, I have them, just the BBF and Lot info.

PH

Just use Avebury A4 sheets and their free layout guide. Keep it black and white and a cheap laser printer. These are mine using DECAdry . Same sort of thing.
View attachment 35288

I also use Avery. You create a free account, choose a label size, use an easily modifiable template, ( I found at least a couple for honey) and either order them to be printed and sent to you or download your design and print on a standard ink jet printer
You can modify your design multiple times to suit different jar weights or batch numbers. I even did a sheet of personalised ones for some honey from a friends garden that I gave back as a Christmas present

I also use Avery. You create a free account, choose a label size, use an easily modifiable template, ( I found at least a couple for honey) and either order them to be printed and sent to you or download your design and print on a standard ink jet printer
You can modify your design multiple times to suit different jar weights or batch numbers. I even did a sheet of personalised ones for some honey from a friends garden that I gave back as a Christmas present

I do very similar using MS publisher. Every batch is labeled with number and BBE date on main label.
I produce special labels for my landlords with there own designs on the jars of rent. They love taking them as gifts to dinner parties and as gifts to friends. In fact one landlord bought half the entire harvest from their hives last year because it had their “special label”

I do. Having optimistically ordered A LOT of labels a few years ago, the BBE date has now expired, so I then printed some on a small label and cut them out as I require them and stick them where I rubbed out the old date. It’s time consuming, but I don’t produce that much honey now that I need to label, most goes to my landlord who sells it under their own label.
I rubbed out the old date just in case the new one fell off, I felt better no date than an old date. No complaints so far, nor from the judges at shows! I don’t use a lot number, but a full date.

The print company I previously used supplied us a small sato printer. It was matched to the label rolls and we just fed them through to print lot & best before.
To be honest though, it was far to much faff, and the EX wouldn’t let me have the printer back, now the label company put a five year BB on and we use a price gun for lot numbers on the base.
we’ve just recently had a TS inspection and this was ok.

I am trying this again. I have a Epson printer: inkjet variety.

I have jar labels. I am not wanting to print any of those.

I am looking for a "system" to print on one small rectangular adhesive label the BBF and Lot#. That's all I am aiming at. What would also be very useful would be the ability to print a set number of labels on a sheet to avoid unnecessary wastage. Say 50 from a sheet of 200.

PH

Last edited:
PH I suggest you look at Beebes ideas in post#5. I use Avery labels on my ink jet. They come in all shapes and sizes in A4 sheets. As Beebe says they also do free software so you can design your own. I use them in 3 different sizes according to what I want to label. I am sure you can get small labels just to take the info you want

Yes I have just done this and the code is 8x10-R for 270 a sheet with the ability to set the print range. I had a quick look for a copy sheet but didn't find anything so went with Avery at £1 a sheet plus postage so that will do me for this year I think. LOL

PH

Latest posts

Back