My First Honey Extractor What One?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markylaird

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This Year i hope to get some honey from my hives so looking to get a nice extractor. I have bought 250 Manley frames also have SN4 in the hives already my budget is 1000 pounds.

The one i have been looking at is http://www.demeterbee.co.uk/honey-extraction/16-frame-motorised-extractor/prod_6.html
Giordan 16 Frame Motorised extractor which accepts National and Manley frames.

Supplied with screens to allow tangential extraction of brood frames. Supplied with a chromed brass tap.
£965

a grand! :eek:

I have a perfectly adequate 9 frame Thornes lightweight motorised second-hand for less than half that money...

Whilst the metal one is going to be perfect it's a lotta money - I went cheaper as they seem to hold their value and I can see how I get on with it - ok so far!

R2

I can recommend Agri Nova for service and Giordan for quality. I bought the same as Mons Ab at about the same time, and really pleased with it.

I see their 16 frame motorised is £900.

so is a specific type of extractor needed for manley frames or will they fit most?

The Giordan Drill extractors definatly take BS Manley frames. As for other makes, I suspect that they will but it is worth checking with the manufacturer, just in case.

Kev

I bought my extractor last week from Abelo, 20 frames radial with computer speed control - looks good!

One thing to think about if going for an extractor that will take more than 1 super's worth of frames, is where your "bottleneck" will be. I would suggest that it will be uncapping, you can comfortably uncap a box of fully capped frames, with the simple knife method, in the time it takes to extract the same number. This means you can get a production line going. As your extractor gets bigger, the time taken to extract does not, so you have less time to uncap the next batch of frames.

One thing to think about if going for an extractor that will take more than 1 super's worth of frames, is where your "bottleneck" will be. I would suggest that it will be uncapping, you can comfortably uncap a box of fully capped frames, with the simple knife method, in the time it takes to extract the same number. This means you can get a production line going. As your extractor gets bigger, the time taken to extract does not, so you have less time to uncap the next batch of frames.

:iagree:

Personally went for 9 frame as:-

a) Didn't have space for storage of a bigger extractor.

b) Basically holds / extracts 1 super (I have 9,10,11 frames in supers) per run.

Latest posts

Back