Msleading e-bay item

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hives in the illustration look like 16 x 10 Commercial hives.These are fitted with short lugged frames and the outside dimensions of the brood boxes and supers are 18 5/16 inches so will fit B.S. National floors,crown boards supers and roofs.If you scan right down to the bottom of the advert the guy states that the are commercials,so,rather than castigate him why not send him an email and ask for dimensions of what he is selling.Might save a few red faces later!!!!

If you read the whole thread you will see that lots of people contacted him, some he gave some abuse to. This was originally posted on the other forum I posted it on here to simply try and save someone buying something that is not what is advertised.

rather than castigate him why not send him an email and ask for dimensions of what he is selling.Might save a few red faces later!!!!

Asked for dimensions, he said he could not give them as he wouldn't be near the hives until the auction finished...

Umm. Telephone parents? Use tape measure ? Phone him back with dimensions ?

Simples ......

The "At my parents" was probably an excuse. He had no intention of doing anything other than misleading.
The fact that a lot of beeks contacted him not wanting others to be conned shows what nice caring people we all are!

For the benefit of women and children and the more sensitive amongst us, I do not want to repeat what message he sent me by ebay!!

I do not want to repeat what message he sent me by ebay!!

Quite civil with me, then?

Dear oliver90owner,

they are nationals in croatia where they are from here they are known as comercials. regards martyn.

- clashsolder

At the time I only mentioned frame numbers and lugs.

As far as I am concerned he is not one I would want to deal with - ever. I think his 100% feedback record may be about to get hammered (but one can never tell), as he was eloquently telling me porkie pies as they are not square (which is difficult to tell from the first pic but clear when one studies the perspective of the roof pic!).

The trouble will be that someone may give their feedback before realising their error - in having ever dealt with him.

Regards, RAB

I got the same message as well RAB.

Having thought about his selling, potentially they are good hives (in construction) but they simply do not fit the national size (fundamental listing error).

But for someone to buy them as stand-alone hives, possibly nothing wrong with them?

So clearly if he had listed them as “Croatian Odd ball sized hives, not national size” he would have been correct? With potentially a lower selling price?

I got the same message as well RAB.

Having thought about his selling, potentially they are good hives (in construction) but they simply do not fit the national size (fundamental listing error).

But for someone to buy them as stand-alone hives, possibly nothing wrong with them?

So clearly if he had listed them as “Croatian Odd ball sized hives, not national size” he would have been correct? With potentially a lower selling price?

But could you get frames to fit they aren't included

Rooftops

The two hives that he has recently sold ARE the two dodgy listings that this thread is about.

As far as his feedback profile is concerned, unless any of the older (>90 day) private auctions are hives then he hasn't sold hives before.

It is always possible that a valid account has been hijacked by a non-UK con merchant?

will be interesting to see how ebay respond to our complaints and what feedback he gets (if any) for the hives.

ebayer...

perhaps the guitar case has been bought as a bait hive - bit of lemongrass, some old comb and a hole cut in the end and bobs your uncle - even has a handle to hang it from a branch!

Just spotted somthing on his feed back.

He sold a 16 foot + Yamaha 28hp (think this is a boat)

Buyer intially left +ve feedback but latter left this

Reply by shawsmk2 (29-May-08 04:30):
opened a dispute item not discribed as it should off needs full restore

ebay account

"11 of his last sales where "LUSH SNOW FAIRY 250 ml SHOWER GEL "

That's why i think it may well be a hijacked account....

however one must also remember that it isn't always possible to specify items that "fall off the back of lorries" so odd bedfellows aren't that unusual on ebay!!!

another thing to note is that it is also common practice to build up 100% feedback with a load of simple cheap items before going for a few more expensive cons.

Last edited:
Yes! It is just that it takes 10 frames rather than the std 12 (jammed in), hence why it is not square

How do you know that they are a standard frame commercially available in this country you cant possibly tell from the photos and you cant trust the claims he is making (allegedly). you could end up with an odd size box trying to source frames from croatia.

frames

given that the square QE in the picture appears considerably shorter than the length of the boxes it would seem highly unlikely that standard UK spec frames (for national/commercial) would fit.

We should have all clubbed together to buy it just so we could find out what it was

The hives in the illustration look like 16 x 10 Commercial hives.These are fitted with short lugged frames and the outside dimensions of the brood boxes and supers are 18 5/16 inches so will fit B.S. National floors,crown boards supers and roofs.If you scan right down to the bottom of the advert the guy states that the are commercials,so,rather than castigate him why not send him an email and ask for dimensions of what he is selling.Might save a few red faces later!!!!

well i did that on my second post to him and got no answer at all, and if you look at the picture closely you will observe that the square National Queen excluder is larger than the hive base ( which is not square but oblong)

SO YOU ARE WRONG it is NOT a commercial hive as a commercial box as you say should have the same rough square dimension as the national Queen excluder

it is either a short lug 10 frame top bee space Langstroth or a German DZ ( slight different dimmesion to langstroth) and i have also told him that, but again no reply

Latest posts

Back