Thornes branch sale items

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodland bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I note Thornes has its branch sale items listed today and the prices look reasonable. Has anyone bought their budget brood boxes and supers? If so what was their quality like? I understand the wood is cedar and may contain live knots but are they still fine to use? I've purchased other makers 2nd quality supers and whilst the timber was as expected some of the joints were not as accurate as I'd liked.

I know there are old posts about their sale items but wanted to know what they are currently like.

I've one of their budget hives, nothing wrong with them at all.

I note Thornes has its branch sale items listed today and the prices look reasonable. Has anyone bought their budget brood boxes and supers? If so what was their quality like? I understand the wood is cedar and may contain live knots but are they still fine to use? I've purchased other makers 2nd quality supers and whilst the timber was as expected some of the joints were not as accurate as I'd liked.

I know there are old posts about their sale items but wanted to know what they are currently like.

I've never had any issues with 'second quality' kit from either Thornes or Maisies - 'second quality' just means it's more sustainable British cedar without quite the same attention to the final finish

I have bought 2nd quality frames from Thrones, Maisies and others for years. No issues to report..

I concluded 1st quality frames were overengineered for the job, premium priced and very bad value for money.

I live quite close to their rand branch. Nearer the time they will list 3rds for sale that will be first come first serve on the open days... I got some supers last year at silly prices, had to chuck a couple but still worked out dirt cheap....

2nd frames are fine.

How does it work? I can add these sale items to the basket online just now, does this mean I can purchase them now but collect them during those dates in store?

How does it work? I can add these sale items to the basket online just now, does this mean I can purchase them now but collect them during those dates in store?

Yes

I got some supers last year at silly prices, had to chuck a couple but still worked out dirt cheap....

Don't they still come under the sale of goods act and have to be 'fit for purpose'? Presumably they weren't if you had to bin them - maybe you could have got a refund.

I've got Thorne's budget hives and full priced top range (Western Red Cedar). I'd go for the budget hive any day of the week. Great value for money.

Don't they still come under the sale of goods act and have to be 'fit for purpose'? Presumably they weren't if you had to bin them - maybe you could have got a refund.

They proberly do but they do state that due to 3rds they may need some filling and fixing. For the price and knowing what I may get I didn't bother.

They're third quality - it's made quite clear in the description that there may be rejects.
You wouldn't buy a box of biscuits labelled 'broken biscuits' then ask for a refund because the biscuits were broken would you?

They're third quality - it's made quite clear in the description that there may be rejects.

You wouldn't buy a box of biscuits labelled 'broken biscuits' then ask for a refund because the biscuits were broken would you?
If I got broken biscuits then I would eat them, not bin them. They would be fit for purpose. If there were wood chippings among them then I would complain.

If I bought a box of firewood then I wouldn't expect to get beehives; however if I bought something described as beehives I wouldn't expect to get firewood.

I suppose it depends on the description of the goods, as you say, and the level of rejects deemed to be acceptable.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

All my gear that has not been home made is seconds from Thornes. Never had a problem with any of it. Anyway the bees are never that choosy.

Thank you for all the replies. I hadn't twigged the sale items were more like the budget hives. That makes more sense of the prices. I've ordered an array of parts and I'll see how I get on.

I have bought 2nd quality frames from Thrones, Maisies and others for years. No issues to report..

I concluded 1st quality frames were overengineered for the job, premium priced and very bad value for money.

I don't mind the premium price but I've had '1st quality' frames from several companies and I've found the quality often lacking so I thought I'd try the 2nds.

Latest posts

Back