Msleading e-bay item

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It could be a Langstroth but equally likely to be a unique Croation hive. I was approached by someone doing charity work in the region on what hives to purchase to encourage beekeeping. They had some photographs of hives used locally and though they were superficially like Langstroth as far as I could tell from the pictures they were something else.

Only real way to tell is to get the seller to say how big the frames are. Even just the length of the top bar would be a start.

beehive type

according to a quick google search 90%+ of croacian beehives are Langstroth-Root or Albert-Znidarsic (roughly equal split between the two). Remainder are D-B, polska etc)

It could be a Langstroth but equally likely to be a unique Croation hive. I was approached by someone doing charity work in the region on what hives to purchase to encourage beekeeping. They had some photographs of hives used locally and though they were superficially like Langstroth as far as I could tell from the pictures they were something else.

Only real way to tell is to get the seller to say how big the frames are. Even just the length of the top bar would be a start.
We shall see, I sent a message requesting the frame size...

warning

Luckily this weekend is free listing on ebay. Have therefore posted a listing with similar title in hope of alerting potential buyers with link to this thread.

this is the response to my query about the nature of the hives/dimensions:

"no sorry hive at my parents cant get there before end of auction! sorry"

Again ditto - thought the page you did was great though drstitson! Hadn't realised you could do that!

Of course someone could be the sucessful bidder and then not pay..... and give scathing feedback.

Just a thought.

The response I got from him was not repeatable here...

he doesn't care what he sells. May his testicles be stung by a thousand bees.

lol I wonder if anyone will bid on drstitson's item on there

Luckily this weekend is free listing on ebay. Have therefore posted a listing with similar title in hope of alerting potential buyers with link to this thread.

excellent move. made me smile. :hurray: :hurray:

"He has added a note to his listing saying they are Commercial Hives."

that note was there for a while. In fact in one add he underscored and coloured red some bits of the text in response to queries BUT did not change the misleading title or clarified dimensions.

Hope the poor buyers knew what they were buying!!!!

PS anyone bidding on my listing will get sent a pdf file about croacian hives!!!!

The hives in the illustration look like 16 x 10 Commercial hives.These are fitted with short lugged frames and the outside dimensions of the brood boxes and supers are 18 5/16 inches so will fit B.S. National floors,crown boards supers and roofs.If you scan right down to the bottom of the advert the guy states that the are commercials,so,rather than castigate him why not send him an email and ask for dimensions of what he is selling.Might save a few red faces later!!!!

Also look at the plastic queen excluder in relation to size of box!!!

The hives in the illustration look like 16 x 10 Commercial hives.

so will fit B.S. National floors,crown boards supers and roofs.!!!!

Just sold for £176 and £155

If you look at his photo you can clearly see a queen excluder (not included in the sale) which is wider than the hives, therfore they can not be BS national size.

hive.jpg

Last edited:
johna: commercials are square. These hives are not square.

Johna

IF you read all the postings on this thread you will see that many of us have tried to get dimensions out of this guy but with no success.

These are clearly rectangular format hives that don't correspond to the size of the national QE.

rather than castigate him why not send him an email and ask for dimensions of what he is selling.Might save a few red faces later!!!!

Asked for dimensions, he said he could not give them as he wouldn't be near the hives until the auction finished...

Latest posts

Back