Mould on top of syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
Went to 5 litres of made up syrup only to find it had mould growing on top:eek: now I guess I’ve got throw it away:mad: But thought I would just check first, is there any thing I can do to make it useable for the bees.
Thanks

skim off the mould and reboil... add thymol ( but not if it is going anywhere near supered honey !)

I drink mouldy syrup all the time.. called scrumpy cider hereabouts.. and it has only had a small mind altering effect!

Throw it.
Last thing you want is your bees getting ill from feeding them fermented syrup.

Last edited:
Throw it.
Last thing you want is your bees getting ill from feeding them fermented syrup.

On reflection probably correct thing to do!
BUT... skim of mold.. boil and then add capping washings, a stick of cinnamon and a spoonful of Marmitee..... more honey to taste plus some apple juice... allow to cool... add some cider yeast... ferment, rack off and bottle......
Unless you are a Primative Methodist !
( My Gran was!)

:party::party::party::party::party::party::party:

Is there anything besides thymol you can add to stop mould, cos i haven't got any.

how about tea tree oil? lemon myrtle oil? Would they inhibit mould growth. ANd more importantly - will bees accept ?

Anything else?

And if so, how much per litre??

I was getting little spots of mould in my feed this week, had to remove feeder and clean this morning so windering what to put in when i put back on tonight??

Thanks for the advice,

I thought thats what I have got to do just seems such a waste.

Might have a go at fermenting it after boiling it to kill wild yeast:rolleyes: Ive got some quince that stalled:eek: could be a potent mix

Why are you looking at syrup at this time of year? Nothing should be needing fed.

PH

What can you do with moulded burr comb that you have taken off frames and put in in a container? How can you prevent wax scraps from going mouldy?

Regards

Chickendog

Hi PH, I am using syrupbecause I have some nucs from swarm controls and the weather has not been brilliant here,

Summary for period 13/05/2012 to 13/06/2012

Temperature (°C):
Mean (1 minute) 14.4
Mean (min+max) 14.2
Mean Minimum 7.8
Mean Maximum 20.6
Minimum 0.3 on 13/05/2012
Maximum 30.0 on 23/05/2012
Highest Minimum 12.2 on 30/05/2012
Lowest Maximum 12.5 on 20/05/2012
Air frosts 0

Rainfall (mm):
Total for period 80.1 :eek:
Wettest day 30.6 on 11/06/2012
High rain rate 21.6 day 03/06/2012
Rain days 14

Wind (mph):
Highest Gust 21.3 on 25/05/2012
Average Speed 2.8
Wind Run 2089.8 miles
Gale days 0

Pressure (mb):
Maximum 1062.8 on 13/05/2012
Minimum 1017.9 on 08/06/2012

these figures are from our apiary, so our ladies have been finding it a bit trying this year. I recon they need what help i can give.

My weather is pretty poor too and I am not feeding. No need to.

Do some spot checks on the brood combs, if there is nectar they are keeping themselves. If not then assess stores.

It literally pays not to feed unless essential.

PH

Thanks PH, would not even bother feeding nuc's then, to help them build comb on foundation.

skim off the mould and reboil... add thymol ( but not if it is going anywhere near supered honey !)

I drink mouldy syrup all the time.. called scrumpy cider hereabouts.. and it has only had a small mind altering effect!

Yeah! So says a mad scientist-

Problem is that syrup is too löng = too much over the hive.

Md to add thymol to syrup. If you give in small dosages the syrup, they suck it and store it in one day.

5 litre syrup needs a big swarm which fills the whole box.

Thanks PH, would not even bother feeding nuc's then, to help them build comb on foundation.

They do it without your help.
Only reason to feed a swarm is to save honey.

I have never feeded nucs in the middle of summer. I prefer to take a food frame from bigger hive if they are short of food.

I don't think there is any harm doing that, especially if the weather is rubbish - they may need some food, the weather is due to improve here (drastically) next tues.

The one thing to be wary of (aside from the risk of syrup getting into supers you then extract) is if they start to backfill the brood nest, not leaving space for the queen to lay, which could cause them to swarm.

Shouldnt be an issue because they can draw a frame very quickly, and should use the feed to do so, but definitely need to keep an eye on it just in case.

Cedar: its your wallet.

I am just pointing out that as there seems to be a mad outbreak of syruping that a considerable amount of money is being wasted at the moment.

My bees are telling me loud and clear they are managing just fine thanks. However as I know very well indeed there is no UK climate. However there are a myriad of micro climates.

I am saying that unless there is clear evidence that your bees are hungry there is no need to feed.

Evidence = No nectar in the brood combs and no stores.

As a competent beekeeper it behooves one to assist the bees not hinder by reason of uncomfortable conscience.

PH

Why are you looking at syrup at this time of year? Nothing should be needing fed.

PH

Cedar: its your wallet.

I am just pointing out that as there seems to be a mad outbreak of syruping that a considerable amount of money is being wasted at the moment.

My bees are telling me loud and clear they are managing just fine thanks. However as I know very well indeed there is no UK climate. However there are a myriad of micro climates.

I am saying that unless there is clear evidence that your bees are hungry there is no need to feed.

As a competent beekeeper it behooves one to assist the bees not hinder by reason of uncomfortable conscience.

PH

I think the 2nd post is a helpful post and the advice is worth following.......

PH

How about when you know there is going to be another spell of rubbish weather? no evidence of hunger.

Also, how does feeding the bees hinder them?

I get the potential cost implication of a bag of sugar, or if you feed when the weather is good and risk them backfilling the brood nest, but I was lucky to catch my bees as they were lethargic this morning and put on some crystallised stores I had, and they soon perked up. I now wish I had put on some precautionary feed last week, when there was evidence of stores, but clearly not enough to cover the weather we then got.

Risk of swarming, or £1.20 worth of sugar is much lower on my priorities to risk of starving/dead bees.

Shouldnt be an issue because they can draw a frame very quickly, .

What idea is to draw combs quickly?
The queen has 3 weeks time to fill cells with eggs. Many beekeepers think that comb building and feeding is the most important thing in beekeeping. That makes only troubles to small colony.

Hey guys!!!

Feeding swarm, - what ever the weather is, is the most simple thing in the world.

The importamnt thing is that dont feed too much. The hive needs the room for brood.

It is not great idea to draw combs. That is the main thing. Bees draw combs more when they need them. At same time they fill cells and those cells are out of brooding.

Risk of starving? Nonsense. You really have time to look your one or two hive, do they have food. You need not feed them like piggs.

You only stuck the hive with sugar and the result is a tiny colony.

When I profound a nuc, I put there foundation that bees consume honey what they bring in. It is much more easier to give more food than take extra off.

I'm with Polyhive. I have not fed anything this spring. Been close on two or three occasions. A beek less than four miles down the road said he had been feeding all his bees since January right up to the warm patch in May. They for sure had not collected a great surplus of honey, but none have run completely short.

But I have a very good idea of what they have, and are doing. New beeks don't, so it is better to feed than not - if not sure. Dead colonies do not recover. But feeding when it is known that stores are present is, as PH says, a waste of money, and is counter-productive.

Nucs should be provisioned with adequate supplies and they should simply be a smaller version of a full colony - so if you are feeding nucs, you should also be feeding bigger colonies. You don't need to inspect to check if stores are present - roof off, coverboard off, check stores frames and close up. Hive open less than half a minute on most occasions. I call that a check for stores, not an inspection and I would do that as often as necessary to a sample of colonies if not sure. I watch the weather and have a good idea if they are foraging, by the bees' activity.

Collecting water means using stores. Warm outside and bees flying afar means bringing back forage. It may be mostly pollen depending on the time of year, but forage crops do not usually change abruptly from one day to the next.

I stand, or sit, and watch my bees at times. Fascinating, but if you are watching you should be checking, understanding what they are up to, cross checking later, maybe, to check what your observations told you. It doesn't take long before you can estimate the stores levels going in sufficiently to guess that change is + or -. It's not rocket science, just simple observations.

If the hive is gently humming in the evening you can bet it is heavy with nectar being evaporated down, ready for the next lot. I estimate my field colonies from my local hives. Most years, by now, it is irrelevant - they have plenty of stores and it may be starting to diminish, but this year has been difficult. Unprecedented, in fact.

Some on here would do well to do a search on the amounts of nectar (or honey equivalent) that a colony gets through each year, before even storing any surplus. That 20kg left for over-wintering is peanuts in comparison.

added : Agree with Finman, too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back