More aggressive bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only change in the bees from last year was that I got them as a nuc in july and are now many thousands strong - I suspect they have built up into a full strength colony and are now showing their true nature! Incidentally a friend got a nuc from the same source and has had the same problem - however hers are isolated in her own field and pose a problem only to her...

I have now moved the hive down the garden to the new position (a very Monty Python 30mins with my dads help!) and they now face away from all human/horse problems. The entrance is blocked, currently with a sponge (I didn't feel confident enough to block with grass then hoist it up!). I'll unblock/replace with grass tomorrow and change the appearance of the outside with branches. When should I check to make sure they can get out (they have plently of stores)? Although the weather is rubbish all this week so they might not be out much at all!

There's a few stragglers left at the old site where I've left an unused hive - they're just sitting at the entrance, will they find the new hive?

Hopefully all is now ok till I can get a new queen. I've been reading up on requeening so now feel more confident, I suspect I'll be asking more questions when the time comes... I'm considering getting two queens as I'd (still!) like two hives...

Thanks for the help, it was much needed. Fingers crossed they don't all return to the old site!

Take away the replacement hive or the bees won't seek out the new place you have put the old hive. They will just sit there and die. They may never find the old hive but at least it gives them a chance
E

I liked the idea of killing queen, splitting colony into 2 nucs and introduce a new queen to each. achieves both objectives.

Yep, except finding a queen in an aggressive colony isn't always that easy, especially for one with little experience!

Yep, except finding a queen in an aggressive colony isn't always that easy, especially for one with little experience!

Could try sieving them. Various variations, I would suggest one suitable method method in this situation might be: Don armour. Move BB to one side, put an empty box in it's place. Shake/brush all bees into this box. All will by definition include the queen. Put a QE on, then the BB with its frames. Close up. 24 hours later all the nurse bees and a number of the rest will have gone back up. Move the hive some yards away, put another floor on the hive site, put the bb and crown board back. You now have an empty box with a QE on and some bees including the queen. Hopefully a lot of the bees that are left will either fly back to the hive, or die trying to sting you. ;) The queen should then be a lot easier to find among the small number that are left.

A bit of a rigmarole, but it might work if all else fails.

Right, I'll get rid of the empty hive.

I'm ok with going through the hive, I find I can ignore the cloud of angry bees around my head and now they are further away from habitation it shouldn't be a problem to sort through the hive to find the queen... Would it be a good idea to get 2 new queens from two different sources?

Hope you sort it out.
When I inspected mine at the old location I took 5 stings on the ring finger alone. I managed to get the ring off afterwards before the swelling started.

Aggressive bees ???
definitely the way to go for an out apiary with all the thieving Bast*** lurking in the wings about to steal your life's work !!!

I have one colony of 2nd generation Carniolians that are bitches from hell in my out apiary... chase me back to car 1000M, Ping and sting all the time.. heaven forbid any would be apiary robber...... but highly prolific and Honey producers par excellence... would not recommend for the inexperienced or garden beek .. IMO !!!

Thew dragons, There are methods of dealing with a colony like this but initially you need a different queen from somewhere first. It will then take a couple of months for the grotty bees to die off.
I'll send you a pm.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back