Mini Blow Torch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digestive

New Bee
Reaction score
Having decided matches /lighter is a lot of faff for lighting a smoker…..does anybody use a mini/kitchen blow torch to light their smoker, and if so are any that you can recommend?

Kitchen burners are a waste of time. Buy a decent burner like what plumbers use and it takes seconds and is very reliable. More expensive but much better and cheaper longer term

Heavens a scrap of newspaper and a match have always worked for me
:iagree: although I've gone hi-tec and carry a lighter, In fact SWMBO has commented that I seem to have way more lighters on my person/vehicle now than I ever had when I smoked!

Last edited:
Blowtorch - self igniting - Wickes. (20 ish years old.)
Refillable lighter - 89p for 2 from B&M - when it refuses to light.

1 Rothenberger Superfire 2 - but that is for scorching the inside of hives.

2 For lighting the smoker: fag lighters, five for a pound at Poundland.

3 Kitchen mini blowtorch for crème brûlées. Other half gets upset when I try to use the Rothenberger for that

Having decided matches /lighter is a lot of faff for lighting a smoker…..does anybody use a mini/kitchen blow torch to light their smoker, and if so are any that you can recommend?
I have this one.. nice reliable unit. ceramic tip, twin flames - also fits and fires a GasVap. Lights the smoker in no time and with piezo ignition no matches or lighter needed. Bit pricier than some you can buy but I find the cheaper ones expire pretty quickly - usually the igniter fails.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cadrim-Kit...ywords=chefs+blow+torch&qid=1623018460&sr=8-6

I have this one.. nice reliable unit. ceramic tip, twin flames - also fits and fires a GasVap. Lights the smoker in no time and with piezo ignition no matches or lighter needed. Bit pricier than some you can buy but I find the cheaper ones expire pretty quickly - usually the igniter fails.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cadrim-Kit...ywords=chefs+blow+torch&qid=1623018460&sr=8-6
I have the same one for my Gas-Vap and it seems to work well, but I use my "normal" plumbing type one by preference, no refilling needed.

I 2nd the Cadrim it is an excellent adjustable torch and metal too, not the cheap placcy feel ones.

I use a cooks lighter to light a bit of torn up cardboard egg carton, put that in the smoker, sprinkle a bit of wood shavings on to it and give a few puffs. Once that's going I top up with shavings and dry rotted wood. I've got various blowlamps from work days but don't find them necessary except occasional use to burn off carbon/tar from the smoker about twice a year.

I second that.
I now have 3 of these to replace the cheaper ones that died after a few months. Nice bit of kit.

I converted my smoker so I could light with a small blow torch. Drill a 10mm hole just above the fire grate and make a small flap to cover hole fixed with a self tapping screw. Fill smoker with your favourite fuel and light from the bottom, Cool smoke and easy to light again if it goes out. Priceless!003.JPG003.JPG

It makes you wonder how people over the ages managed without a cooks blowtorch.
and have a thought for those who still follow the diktat of the BBKA Sanhedrin - they have to manage with a flint and steel!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back