Apiary risk assessment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm looking after a project to set up a small apiary with a local charity, but as part of that they require a risk assessment to be done. When it occurred to me this morning that issues such as lifting full supers off the top of hives and safe lighting of smokers would probably need to be covered I realised that there may well be all sorts of other issues that I subconsciously manage which actually need to go in a risk assessment. Does anyone have one they'd be willing to share so I can have some confidence that I've not missed things?

Thanks,
James

I'm looking after a project to set up a small apiary with a local charity, but as part of that they require a risk assessment to be done. When it occurred to me this morning that issues such as lifting full supers off the top of hives and safe lighting of smokers would probably need to be covered I realised that there may well be all sorts of other issues that I subconsciously manage which actually need to go in a risk assessment. Does anyone have one they'd be willing to share so I can have some confidence that I've not missed things?

Thanks,
James
I have a 'made up' apiary/honey room RA which I used as part of my IOSH accreditation assessment, if you want it, IM me and I can email it to you

I have a 'made up' apiary/honey room RA which I used as part of my IOSH accreditation assessment, if you want it, IM me and I can email it to you
bear in mind it's for honey removal not inspections so it doesn't mention things like smokers and the like

..and bee stings, tripping over equipment, hanging off a brach to catch a swarm, and so forth!!
@JamezF, let me know how you get on please. I have secured a site to set up a new apiary from the water company and would expect them asking similar. Good luck

I asked ChatGPT to "Write a risk assessment for a small apiary run by a local charity"
Introduction:
A risk assessment is a vital process that helps identify potential hazards and risks associated with the operations of a small apiary run by a local charity. This risk assessment will focus on identifying the hazards and assessing the risks associated with the small apiary.
Hazards:
  1. Bee stings - Bees can sting individuals who come into close proximity with the apiary, which can lead to allergic reactions, swelling, and pain.
  2. Bee swarming - Bee swarming can occur when bees leave the hive in large numbers, which can be dangerous to individuals who come into contact with them.
  3. Equipment failure - Equipment failure can lead to accidents and injuries when handling bees and hives.
  4. Contamination - The apiary can become contaminated by pests and diseases, which can harm the bees and pose a risk to human health.
  5. Environmental factors - Environmental factors, such as weather conditions and natural disasters, can pose a risk to the apiary and the safety of individuals working with the bees.
Risk Assessment:
  1. Bee stings - The risk of bee stings can be reduced by providing beekeepers with protective clothing and equipment, and ensuring that individuals who are allergic to bee stings are not permitted to work with the bees. In the event of a sting, a first aid kit should be available on site.
  2. Bee swarming - The risk of bee swarming can be reduced by monitoring the hive for signs of swarming and taking appropriate action to prevent swarming. Beekeepers should also be trained on how to handle bees in the event of swarming.
  3. Equipment failure - The risk of equipment failure can be reduced by conducting regular maintenance and inspections of the equipment and replacing any faulty equipment. Beekeepers should also be trained on how to use the equipment safely and correctly.
  4. Contamination - The risk of contamination can be reduced by implementing good hygiene practices, such as cleaning and disinfecting the equipment and hives regularly. Beekeepers should also be trained on how to identify and prevent the spread of pests and diseases.
  5. Environmental factors - The risk of environmental factors can be reduced by monitoring weather conditions and taking appropriate action to protect the bees and hives. Beekeepers should also be trained on how to respond in the event of a natural disaster.
Conclusion:
In conclusion, the small apiary run by a local charity poses several hazards and risks that need to be addressed. By conducting a risk assessment and implementing appropriate risk management strategies, the risks associated with the apiary can be significantly reduced. Regular monitoring, training, and maintenance of equipment and facilities will help ensure the safety of beekeepers and the bees, and promote the success of the apiary.
It's a start...

Thanks,
James
Yes please send me email to [email protected] i have big and small ones that will save you lots of work. Just done one for a new teaching apiary on a big commercial site for our division so this is very big and complete. You can edit down easily.

Yes please send me email to [email protected] i have big and small ones that will save you lots of work. Just done one for a new teaching apiary on a big commercial site for our division so this is very big and complete. You can edit down easily.
David, are you happy if I make your post a sticky?

I would be interested in seeing a risk assessment for a small number of hives. One was demanded by the parish council who suddenly invented new conditions for having beehives on allotments. I was used to doing risk assessments as part of my employment, but bees were not involved!

I would be interested in seeing a risk assessment for a small number of hives. One was demanded by the parish council who suddenly invented new conditions for having beehives on allotments. I was used to doing risk assessments as part of my employment, but bees were not involved!

If those who have helped me are happy for me to do so (I'll email/PM you all later) then I'll publish my efforts for anyone to use once it's done.

James

It should include the risk that a small number of hives can too easily become a larger number of hives and that one morning's beekeeping every week throughout the season can turn into three days.

It's taken me rather longer than planned to get this to a state where I felt I could post it, but here's my first (public) effort. Thank you once again to all the people who helped out by providing me with their own.

I've used the basic format given by the HSE which isn't as detailed as some of the examples I was sent, but I guess if anyone needs a more complex form then they already have a fair idea of what they're up to.

I've also not covered anything to do with extraction, mostly because I have no idea how we're going to deal with that yet, but equipment quite variable by that point so coming up with anything generic is not so easy.

And I've left out things that some people covered such as vandalism, electrical systems and specific issues local to any given site.

If you want to use this as the basis for your own risk assessment then you're welcome to do so. Hopefully the PDF will be ok. If I could work out how to upload the original (which presumably could be edited directly) then I would. Now I'm off to move a whole load of things from the "already done" column to the "further actions" column and give myself a whole pile of work 😂

James

Attachments

• risk-assessment.pdf
    39.5 KB · Views: 4
It's taken me rather longer than planned to get this to a state where I felt I could post it, but here's my first (public) effort. Thank you once again to all the people who helped out by providing me with their own.

I've used the basic format given by the HSE which isn't as detailed as some of the examples I was sent, but I guess if anyone needs a more complex form then they already have a fair idea of what they're up to.

I've also not covered anything to do with extraction, mostly because I have no idea how we're going to deal with that yet, but equipment quite variable by that point so coming up with anything generic is not so easy.

And I've left out things that some people covered such as vandalism, electrical systems and specific issues local to any given site.

If you want to use this as the basis for your own risk assessment then you're welcome to do so. Hopefully the PDF will be ok. If I could work out how to upload the original (which presumably could be edited directly) then I would. Now I'm off to move a whole load of things from the "already done" column to the "further actions" column and give myself a whole pile of work 😂

James
Thanks James. I shall sticky this
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/index-of-stickies.50958/

Latest posts

Back