Mini Blow Torch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I converted my smoker so I could light with a small blow torch. Drill a 10mm hole just above the fire grate and make a small flap to cover hole fixed with a self tapping screw. Fill smoker with your favourite fuel and light from the bottom, Cool smoke and easy to light again if it goes out. Priceless!View attachment 26554View attachment 26554
I've wondered about doing something similar - good to know it works!

I second that.
I now have 3 of these to replace the cheaper ones that died after a few months. Nice bit of kit.

I don't second it. At £20 far too expensive.

Beekeeping should be run on a shoestring - it's more fun - and more profitable that way.

Don't tell me you run your hobby at a loss? That's disgusting: a waste of the world's resources,

Anyone with a hobby that costs money is wasting the world's limited resources.

When I am dictator, it will be banned - along with matchsticks,.

Err the men with white coats have arrived.

Shake the remaining fuel in the smoker from last session to one side. One page of newspaper (tabloid will do - at least it will finally have a purpose) tear a piece off to make a spill, crumple the rest and push it down the gap youve made, put a pinch of wood shavings or finely broken up punk wood over the paper, use the spill to light it, give it a few gentle puffs at first, then as it lights up, go for it until you get flames then fill up the whole smoker.
Simples

That is what I also do, use the old part used fuel once the new fire is under way. Don't know why but the LBKA always chuck everything away and start a fresh, just seems a waste of fuel.

I always leave the smoker doing its thing on the back of the truck as I drive from apiary to apiary just to see if think I'm on fire which, technically I suppose I am. They always look and never try to mention it or bring it to my attention. Shame society is the way it is these days.

Small blowtorch from B&Q. Easy to get replacement gas cartridges. Self igniting a must. I use mine on the wooden hive parts for quick cleansing as well. Wouldn’t be without it

Shake the remaining fuel in the smoker from last session to one side. One page of newspaper (tabloid will do - at least it will finally have a purpose) tear a piece off to make a spill, crumple the rest and push it down the gap youve made, put a pinch of wood shavings or finely broken up punk wood over the paper, use the spill to light it, give it a few gentle puffs at first, then as it lights up, go for it until you get flames then fill up the whole smoker.
Simples
I did much the same for years until someone on here suggested a cooks blowtorch and I came out of the dark ages ... when I did my basic (in the pouring rain and a howling gale - should never have been allowed !) I had to lend my torch to the other poor beggars who had been conned into the 'one match to light your smoker' mantra. The assessor confessed at the end that he was going home to buy one ...

I also leave the remains of the last burn in there - I have a wooden bung that blocks the spout of the smoker at the end of the inspection and there's always some fuel left in there - with the blowtorch I just tip a few more wood shavings on top, shake it all to one side and a quick blast with the blowtorch and away it goes - even when there's less than desirable weather conditions.

Thanks for all the advice…most appreciated.

Happily sold on the idea of a kitchen/chef’s blow torch…..seems way less faff than fumbling around with a lighter, off to Amazon I go……

Anyone with a hobby that costs money is wasting the world's limited resources.
I regularly have this argument with my brother ;)
His hobby is brewing... costs him a fortune in kit to create his own mini brewery and he can't legally sell the produce.
My beekeeping... costs me a fortune in kit too, but at least I can sell the bee's produce. :D

I have a wooden bung that blocks the spout of the smoker at the end of the inspection and there's always some fuel left in there
I just use a cork from an emtied port bottle, fits snugly and you have the knurled cap to help remove it. And if I lose it.....I have plenty of spares 😁

Last edited:
I just use a cork from an emtied port bottle, fits snugly and you have the knurled cap to help remove it. And if I lose it.....I have plenty of spares 😁
Haha ... Yes ... I've lost a few ... one of these days I'm going to get round to putting a chain on it to the cage of the smoker so it doesn't go AWOL ....

I use a mini chefs blowtorch. Refilled from can of gas. Press button ignition. Works a treat. Never fails
I second that.
I now have 3 of these to replace the cheaper ones that died after a few months. Nice bit of kit.

I bought a Cadrim a year ago. Its spark mechanism has now failed.

One of mine started being erratic today! Maybe its not quite as good as I hoped :cry:

Send it back ... there are very few bad reviews on Amazon - mostly people saying how good they are. I've had mine for about a year now used it quite a lot and it's still going strong.

Jet lighters from eBay. £3ish perfect job.
As for a cork for the smoker I find that Talisker ones fit perfectly, currently £25 on offer with Tesco Club card

Latest posts

Back