A better vaping torch?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeKeyPlayer

From Rainham, Medway (North Kent) UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 plus 12 owned by others
Having got thoroughly fed up with vaping torches that you fill from the bottom with lighter fuel, I looked around to see if there were any torch heads for tins of butane with a nozzle of the right diameter (21mm) for a GasVap. Here's one. I used it a few weeks ago on about 30 hives and it performed flawlessly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09YRH23MW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Having got thoroughly fed up with vaping torches that you fill from the bottom with lighter fuel, I looked around to see if there were any torch heads for tins of butane with a nozzle of the right diameter (21mm) for a GasVap. Here's one. I used it a few weeks ago on about 30 hives and it performed flawlessly.

I think with a lot of these chef type torches they are simply not made to stand the heat of prolonged use.

That’s what I use with butane gas. It can get too hot though if too high.

I made a reducer ring from some 22mm copper pipe split down one side so the cheapo ebay torches fit the gas vap perfectly .
The plastic casings of these melt readily so chose one with the ignition trigger at the back or integrated with the valve
I did have an expensive one but it didnt last much longer
Once everything is up to temp I find I can turn the flame right down to absolute minimum which prolongs the life but still does the job.

I melted the first torch, so made a baffle from brass sheet with a hole in the middle and slid it half way down the torch nozzle. About two inches square, keeps the heat off.

Have decided to make my own gasvap sometime. I'll use my existing blowtorch - designed for paint stripping and soldering - and bodge a join to fit

Well....I bought a gasvap last year and have only used it for one season for two hives......vaped last year a fair few times....went to use it yesterday .....the "fill from the bottom" chef type torch that came as part of the kit from gas vap is already leaking after it is turned off. Useless in my opinion....probably as has been previously mentioned they just aren't up to the prolonged heat.
I am going to Screwfix tomorrow to pick up a rothenburger rofire "screw on" torch head and a new 7/16th bottle of butane. From what I can see in the details it's a 22mm torch nozzle....which is what I think the gasvap needs....also with it being a Rothenburger it should be way more robust!
I already have a Rothenburger Superfire 2 blow torch for plumbing work....which is awesome (too nice and too expensive to drag found the apiary)
I am due to vap my hives in the next day or two .....I'll report back and let you know if it fits...and how it gets on if it does fit 😎
Might give others another option to consider too 😁

Some valid points all round - but try dialing down the valve once youve got things warmed up,less is quite often more...
Keep the cans warm overnight to minimise flaring.
I get gascans in bulk amounts and its surprising how much discount you get

By way of a report back on the Rothenburger Rofire....it is a much sturdier outting than the chef's torch I got with the gasvap kit.....as you say BKplayer....a bit more expensive than the torch you mentioned...but it it feels solid....and more like a working tool than a kitchen item.
The nozzle (which is solid brass and removable) fitted the vap perfectly as was expecting at 22mm.....and although it is a little fierce it is adjustable right down to a smaller flame....it uses a standard 7/16 screw thread so will screw onto the standard butane canister.......all in all for £27.50 I reckon it's a pretty tough bit of kit.....and if it lasts as long as my plumbing torch (a different Rothenburger) I will be well happy.

The cannisters are more expensive from Screwfix...but as you and others have said.....cheaper 7/16ths screw on cans can be bought elsewhere that should fit straight on.

... anyway folks..... that's just my 2p worth....I thought I'd share my thoughts 😎😁

By way of a report back on the Rothenburger Rofire....it is a much sturdier outting than the chef's torch I got with the gasvap kit.....as you say BKplayer....a bit more expensive than the torch you mentioned...but it it feels solid....and more like a working tool than a kitchen item.
The nozzle (which is solid brass and removable) fitted the vap perfectly as was expecting at 22mm.....and although it is a little fierce it is adjustable right down to a smaller flame....it uses a standard 7/16 screw thread so will screw onto the standard butane canister.......all in all for £27.50 I reckon it's a pretty tough bit of kit.....and if it lasts as long as my plumbing torch (a different Rothenburger) I will be well happy.

The cannisters are more expensive from Screwfix...but as you and others have said.....cheaper 7/16ths screw on cans can be bought elsewhere that should fit straight on.

... anyway folks..... that's just my 2p worth....I thought I'd share my thoughts 😎😁
Thanks! I'll hang on to your info.

personally I wouldn’t even consider a Gasvap after reading on here, quite clearly needs a lot further investment in the design And development.
we have been using a Sublimox for two years and have just recently purchased an Instavap, between the two neither has let us down & both performed adequately. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend either, it’s just a case of what suits the situation best.
It’s a similar case to the other current thread on suitable vehicles, we have two Defenders, suits us, but that may not necessarily be the case for the OP.

I've got a Bullfinch with piezo ignition from my working years.

I've got a Bullfinch with piezzo ignition from my working years. The nozzle is a loose fit into a standard 22mm copper fitting.

Attachments

• 20230118_192407.jpg
    20230118_192407.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
personally I wouldn’t even consider a Gasvap after reading on here, quite clearly needs a lot further investment in the design And development.
we have been using a Sublimox for two years and have just recently purchased an Instavap, between the two neither has let us down & both performed adequately. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend either, it’s just a case of what suits the situation best.
It’s a similar case to the other current thread on suitable vehicles, we have two Defenders, suits us, but that may not necessarily be the case for the OP.
... not necessarily the case for the OP.

Indeed not. With this better torch for the GasVap, I think it will be fine for me. The GasVap itself (as opposed to the torches) has worked really well for a busy couple of years now. I think its design and manufacture is fine. I baulk at the cost of the electric options mentioned, and the need to carry a power source.

That's true too, I thought this over for a long time until my wife saw the video and told me it was a no brainer. I still dithered as I always do with expensive items, my wife is my boot up the backside. She pointed out we had just sold a bulk order of honey that paid for it more than twice over.

That's true too, I thought this over for a long time until my wife saw the video and told me it was a no brainer. I still dithered as I always do with expensive items, my wife is my boot up the backside. She pointed out we had just sold a bulk order of honey that paid for it more than twice over.
Boys toys😂

Attachments

• 7E72F5EE-EEDA-4EDA-AE14-3343EF05D4FC.jpeg
    7E72F5EE-EEDA-4EDA-AE14-3343EF05D4FC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back