Midnight inspections?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:)

OK, so it's a terrible idea!

I should be at the same pub tomorrow lunchtime, drinking another pint of Doom Bar. Watch this space for the next paradigm-shifting, blue-sky, out-of-the-box thought

FG
Keep em coming, thinking outside the box is how we can all try and improve methods, you never know one might just work !!.

FG
Keep em coming, thinking outside the box is how we can all try and improve methods, you never know one might just work !!.

Do you think that this was the first idea about it!!!

about 40 years ago I hade made a swarm trap into an old house.
I went to take that huge swarm off. But they start to walk around the room.

So i waited that they collect together and I take a box. But they never did. Instead they start to walk on me and when they meet my skin at dim light , they hit a sting. I was stupid when I did not go home. I was all night there and I valuated that I got 600 stings during that day. Earlier I had catch a wild German Black swarm and it gave me anbout 100 sting.

I have han many times the hive open when sun is going down. bee became mad. Only way is to put some plastic or something over night and come back in the morning.

It is so nice that a new beekeeper generation start from very beginning.
If I tell my experiences, they say:" You old fart you just open your mouth. You are never positive."

But do it and you will learn in few seconds.

Last edited:
Finman,
you may be an "Old Fart", but you are also one of the "Tribal Elders" of this group and I'll always be keen to learn from your experience.

I don't promise to agree with everything, and I reserve the right to make stupid mistakes of my own :) , but I'm always keen to hear your views.

FG

Finman,
you may be an "Old Fart", but you are also one of the "Tribal Elders" of this group and I'll always be keen to learn from your experience.

I don't promise to agree with everything, and I reserve the right to make stupid mistakes of my own :) , but I'm always keen to hear your views.

FG

Höpö höpö.

It a proverb: " A finnish man does not believe if he does not try himself."

It is your beeyard and you do what you do. - I am too a kind who does not believe everything.

But basic question: -
- What are you going to see at night? Inspect?
- Morning is often so cold that it is better not to open the hive. Temp should be over 17C that you can inspect the hive and then better in the sun.
- Mostly I need sun that I can open the hive and those hives which stand in shadow, I wait that sun hits on their site.

I have stopped my night movings. It is nice to sleep the whole night and then after moving coffee and TV I go out and start to move hives on outer pastures. I put a nuc in the hive site and those bees which are flying, I make to them something later. I move hives and open the gate and they can start flying at once.

Last edited:
LOL Firegazer. Just read this and I think that doombar beer must have been served a bit warm for you.....or you have lived in the valleys for a little too long (kidding!)

I too barked when I read the mankini bit. Perhaps if you wear a red nose as well you could raise money and appear on the next BBC red nose day tv ?!?

I also was thinking if bees are attracted to the light, and, say you have a head torch on...the bees will simply cover your veil !!

It could be funny though.

The point about early morning inspections is a good one though - the bees always seem a bit sleepier even though most of them are at home.

regards

S

I have han many times the hive open when sun is going down. bee became mad. Only way is to put some plastic or something over night and come back in the morning.

Agreed, I expect no-one will disagree. We needed to move a hive to another apiary on Monday night and left it a little late to block and strap it. They came boiling out as we quietly tried to put the block in. Half an hour later and enough smoke to convince them the whole world was a bushfire they went in very grumpily. I wasn't stung. My partner was wearing workboots with beesuit and took collateral damage to ankles and hands. Lucky really.

Lucky really.

In some cases it might happen a bad accident.
That is why I do not like night working.

Long time ago I moved 2 hives out ourter apiary. When I lifted hive to the ground, ties collapsed and the bees rushed out. My hair was full of bees.
I run to the woods and I put wet moss on my head and on my shoulders.

In the water pool, which has been cows' drinking place, I saw something and I came to look it next day.
It was a dead just born calf which has been sunk into pit. Actually it was not just born because it was quite soft.--- That was not funny. And in those days bees were angry.

Long time ago I moved 2 hives out ourter apiary. When I lifted hive to the ground, ties collapsed and the bees rushed out. My hair was full of bees.

In the water pool, which has been cows' drinking place, I saw something and I came to look it next day.
It was a dead just born calf which has been sunk into pit. Actually it was not just born because it was quite soft.--- That was not funny. And in those days bees were angry.

Some people may question after such incidents in the days of angry bees and killer swarms, why you kept on keeping bees. Masochist or just one crazy Finn....well I know at least two more but they do not keep bees....

I know i shouldnt laugh, and to be honest i take more notice of what you say than most others. BUT i can just imagine you running off into the woods covered in bees, dunking your head into the water and come out wearing a half rotten carcase :D

It obviously wasnt your day!!!!

It obviously wasnt your day!!!!

It was one of them "not my day".

I have one story about furious Carniolan hive.

It was quite normal Carniolan hive and I was adding more room after sun set.
The hive blowed up and I retreated. It was so dim that bees cannot see me.
But they foamed around the hive and every now and then they like exploded.
The voice was very high tinning.

I took a inner cover. I throwed it on the hive and I run away to the bushes.

The front wall of hive was totally covered by bees and over entrance there was a thick plancet. I have never seen like that. That was really danderous.

I would imagine if a bear comes in a dim light to handle the hive. Perhaps the hive had "automatic bear prevent" in their genes.

I have quite many stories about "evening inspection" and none of them is pleasant.

Last edited:
if any of you are seriously thinking of going up a tree to inspect a bee hive at midnight with a red light strapped to your forehead in a mankini then let me know im up for a laugh indeed

PMSL at this image in my head! Just made a stressful day funny!!

Finman some of your stories are great! as funny as they are a lot can be learnt from them!

Cheers

Mark.

Some people may question after such incidents in the days of angry bees and killer swarms, why you kept on keeping bees. Masochist or just one crazy Finn....well I know at least two more but they do not keep bees....

One crazy Finn? I haven't met a sane one yet :p

4646962193_43e9fdbc14_o.jpg

Winter war was very famous. Finnish troops moved with ski and Russian troops along roads. It was very cold winter, 30-40c frost. Russian troops freezed almost dead near their fires. The Finnish attacked from darkness on stucked enemy and it cannot go anywhere. - In the middle of winter it is the whole day quite dark.

Finnish troops cutted the line of Russians and killed them piece by piece.

Talvisota_1939-1940_189796b.jpg

The Finnish soldier were farmers and they we physically strong to fight in difficult conditions.

Why FS died: 11% direct bullets, 30% grenades and 30% inflammations,the rest i do not remember.

In whole war Russians died 20 million. in uk 0,45 million. chinese were more 22 million.

Last edited:
just found a pub that sells doom bar. This mankini idea sounds like a good one! If we develop it quick we could corner the market!

me and my big mouth,

after remarking about mankinis and head lights etc it happened ,

Thenext door neighbour knocked on the door at 10.30 pm theres a load of bees in my back garden , I went to investigate ,they were in a large bulk sand bag , I lifted where the bag was folded over and sure enough a lovely swarm all huddled together , then the madness started I managed to find enough kit to make up a hive with a super as a brood box, the musis held th torch from around ten feet away ( no bee suit) and I collected them into a cardboard box then placred into temparary hive all was well 11.35 pm and v dark

Next day they were still there so foolish me decides to replace the super they were in with a brood box ,

This afternoon I looked after the rain had stopped and there was no activity so taking a look under the roof they had gone not a bee,

having searched the field at the bottom of the garden for around 20 minuits i found them in some brambles boxed them up and put them back in the super with the lid on ,,

they are there now , I hope they stay a little longer this time lol

regards
Mark

Latest posts

Back