Market

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hywel

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I currently own land and keep several hives of bees which, thanks to my son, are doing very well. I would like to know if there is a market to increase the number of hives? My family isn't looking to run the household income from it but just to earn part of it. I'd just like to know anyone's thoughts. Thanks.

Yes it is very possible.

You say you have several hives which is an awkward number to work with but if it were to be say 6 then with out adversely harming a potentil harvest doubling up to 12 for the start of 2019 is highly possible and from that to 20+ for 2020 is easily achievable.

I see you are in Wales so you benefit from the chance of a Heather crop too.

From your 20 theoretical hives there is the chance (theoretically) of some 1200 lbs of honey which in turn will need jars of at least two sizes and labels to suit.

And of course there will be the outlay on hives, frames and foundation to take into consideration as well.

All good fun but also a gooly outlay.

Then there is the not so minor matter of honey handling kit which to do it well and that you MUST do is not going to be cheap.

So there you have it, been there, done it and know the pitfalls. And the cost.

PH

Unless you are prepared to make a lot of kit yourself and hunt around for bargains the growth from a few hives to a lot of hives is quite expensive ... in a good year in a good area you could expect 100lbs of honey from a good colony ...in a not so good year ... a lot less. So, when you weigh the cost of a new hive, frames, foundation, feed and all the rest of the gubbins you will need as you expand the profit margins are squeezed to the point where most beekeepers will be lucky to break even. Factor in how you are going to sell all that honey (not to mention the cost of your time to look after the bees and process the honey) and you can see ...

The adage 'if you want to make a small fortune from beekeeping - start with a big one' is not that far from reality.

Once you have the kit, thriving colonies and sites with enough forage to give you the crops of honey you will need then -yes, it can generate some profit .... but not one you can always rely upon.

Unless you are prepared to make a lot of kit yourself and hunt around for bargains the growth from a few hives to a lot of hives is quite expensive ...

As Finman would say the 6 hive owner has only theoretical practical experience of expansion.

As Finman would say the 6 hive owner has only theoretical practical experience of expansion.

You would be surprised at what you can learn from doing things with people who have lots more hives than even people who seem to persistently think they know everything about everybody. NGAFY.

Well the last two years now have gone fairly well, better this year than the last with a very nice crop. I have been self employed for quite a while and work on a farm so fully understand the amount of work that has to be put into an enterprise. Its more the potential for a market that I am interested in. Thanks!

Thanks Poly Hive. I'm asking more because there seems to be an ever increasing number of bee keepers (brilliant for the bees!) but does this mean that there's an ever dwindling market to sell honey to?

The last thread was written quite some time ago. We've had quite a nice harvest since then, thanks to the work we've put in. Thank you for your advice but I'm more interested in whether there is a market.

Thank you Pargyle but I have the money to invest and I'm not looking to make a small fortune, just to replace part of my income. From a farming background I know full well that its very difficult to make a living from agricultural produce. My question was is there a market for honey.

Well the last two years now have gone fairly well, better this year than the last with a very nice crop. I have been self employed for quite a while and work on a farm so fully understand the amount of work that has to be put into an enterprise. Its more the potential for a market that I am interested in. Thanks!

Something over 60% of honey on our shop shelves is imported yet given the choice most customers would prefer to buy home produced. The market is vast but some of the imported stuff is good quality and offered at a price we couldn't produce our own for at a profit.

Thanks MBC! I was thinking we'd have the best bet if we worked out some sort of niche. There might be more small shops around here that will sell it, I know one down the road that has offered to sell our produce, but I'm guessing selling simply as honey on the internet is pretty much out as there seems to be a lot of it going. We do have the 'niche' of being Welsh honey (people seem to think countries from Celtic areas tend to be more rural and therefore produce more organic food!?) but there are other Welsh farmers.

There is a market for bees, and a market for honey. Wether you can supply that market to make a profit is doubtful. After 35 years I am still using my income to buy equipment, some years I make a small profit but other years a loss. Keep careful financial records for a year or two and you will see what I mean!
E

There is a market for bees, and a market for honey. Wether you can supply that market to make a profit is doubtful. After 35 years I am still using my income to buy equipment, some years I make a small profit but other years a loss. Keep careful financial records for a year or two and you will see what I mean!
E

You would need 100+ PRODUCTIVE colonies and time to manage them.
A vehicle fit for purpose... 1.5 ton towing capacity at least.. plus a trailer.
Room to store equipment
Clean room to process honey... plus all the plant... uncapping machine/centrifuge/apimelter/storage containers/warmers/bottling plant.

Then there is insurance ( BBKA is not enough).. health and safety/ honey regs... labels... jars & lids

SWMBO is updating her Level 2 Food Safety Training & Certification today... another £47.50...

Do not to forget to factor in the cost of a second mortgage to finance all of this...... 200 colonies and you will also need to start employing someone.....

And this would be for " over the gate sales " and the odd farmers market or food fair

There is a market for honey.... but you need to charge for your product
£4.95 for 227g (8oz)... if the customer wants 1lb offer a discount.... and even at that price you are giving the product away!

Bottle prices have shot up in last few years as it seems has insurances and fuel...... and the price of sugar / invert

As Finnie says... keep wife in work.
My paper round supplements my income!

A Leap into the unknown to start up any business at this time... most fail in 2 years!

Yeghes da

Yes there is certainly a good market for local honey but it HAS to be prepared well and presented VERY well. Give very careful thought to your labels as they will make or break you.

PH

It's like any business really. It's all down to the person running it! My main business that I set up 14 years ago has done me well. But, I was told it will never work I even bought equipment off others who failed!
Basically do your home work like you would any business. Check out competition, can you find a gap?
Hard work normally pays off : )

Cheers Enrico - a session of financial marketing will hopefully give me a better idea of the prices concerned!

Cheer Poly Hive - Fair dues to my son he's doing a grand job and has some lovely labels printed. The jars do look very professional though we'll have to see how well they sell when we do some samples...

Latest posts

Back