Long hives in Hungary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth

Company has 200 hives. You see perhaps rust in extractor and zinc covering, but don't worry.

http://farkasmez.hu/gallery.html

front3.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if there are markings on the roofs as otherwise a serious drifting issue there.

PH

Thanks for the link, some great photo's

Also a rather interesting way of getting bee's of the combs, rotating brushes!

Interesting images, thanks.

How do they add supers? The roof seems to be attached by hinge to the brood box.
The harvesting images also seem to suggest to me that they extract from brood frames.

Interesting interpretation of course CB LoL. Now if you were a total newbee? :)

No i'm sure it is to get rid of the bee's not to uncap, look at pic 18 it is mounted over the hive and in later pics they show combs covered in bees going into the brushes, then later on pic 24 they show uncapping with a fork.

C B

Edit,

Ok i'm not sure, the brushes are clearly mounted onto the top of a hive but it seems a rather excessive action to remove bees so maybe they are flicking the cappings doen into the hive, oh i don't know>>>>> confused!

Doing uncapping in an open apiary would send the bees wild, robbing and the such.

Last edited:
Maybe the brushes are softer than I imagine them to be CB.

I guess that regular brushes and bees would be about as satisfactory as cappings into a hive. Both recipes for very unhappy bees.

Now if they were very soft brushes, or good feathers, it would be a possibility. As you say the pictures before and after are in the field, so I too am a little confused.

Perhaps Finman can shed some light on this as he may be aware of such practice?

Given the choice though, I think that I would prefer Sweinty Girl and her feather rather than our Hungarian friend and his bottle brushes . . . ha ha.

Sorry about the dilemma.

excellent site Finman. a very interesting looking commerical set up. hinged roofs has got me thinking, I wonder if the hives are a set size and include brood and supers and cannot be added to or removed from. with open air honey extraction they might go round the fields and strip the honey from the hives every week meaning the bees should have enough room. just a thought. they definately look like they know what they are on with.

A few of the pictures made me cringe.

First was the rack loaded with frames, I can only imagine this was for frames with a large amount of wet uncapped stores to be extracted.

Another was the picture of the hive tool looking like it hadn't been cleaned or sterilized in months, no comment on the hand holding it.

Lastly the osr field from aerial photos didn't look that big and was surrounded by forests, seemed like over kill on the number of hives to me.

Interesting pictures though.

I put these pictures to remind that "longhive" is not an invention. They has been used very long time. It is same with the toy called "top bar hive"

There are many odd systems in this horizontal hive compared to vertical hive. One is really, how the honey frame will be capped. In vertical hive and with low frames capped honey- nectar-new space is easy to arrange. In horizontal hive the bees' habit to arrange storage fron upp to down does not follow bees instinct to work.

When you want one capped honey box, you need 2-3 other boxes where honey rippens. In long hives these vertical layers all are inside that huge frame.

In ancient times the hive was a tube where some combs were cutted behind brood frames.

At least it is difficult to stiele these hives, but some stiele only frames.

Those hives seem very old. Perhaps hives in 3 generation. it is 20 years when sosialism collapsed. that is not a reason.

No i'm sure it is to get rid of the bee's not to uncap, look at pic 18 it is mounted over the hive and in later pics they show combs covered in bees going into the brushes, then later on pic 24 they show uncapping with a fork.
Ok i'm not sure, the brushes are clearly mounted onto the top of a hive but it seems a rather excessive action to remove bees so maybe they are flicking the cappings doen into the hive, oh i don't know>>>>> confused!

Doing uncapping in an open apiary would send the bees wild, robbing and the such.

OK, here's what I think. I think it is an uncapping brush, and hes not that worried about decapitating a few bees in the process. I think it's on a tank, not a hive. I think they are using the forks to get the bits the brushes have missed. BUT they are definitely extracting in a tent in the field. Anyone else ever taken the extractor to the hives?

Hello Guys,
If it is still an open topic and you still need answers about these long hives, here I'm, try to answer. Sure, I do not know about them everything, but try to help.
Tamas

OK, here's what I think. I think it is an uncapping brush, and hes not that worried about decapitating a few bees in the process. I think it's on a tank, not a hive. I think they are using the forks to get the bits the brushes have missed. BUT they are definitely extracting in a tent in the field. Anyone else ever taken the extractor to the hives?

It is a motorised bee brush. Two axises rotate to opposite directions. Both have a plastic sheet attached. Plastic sheets are cutted to create a brush-like form. Rotating speed is very important (it can kill the bees), so it is adjustable always.

You can find few more details here: [----]
I had to remove the link, as I'm a newbee here. Have rights after 10+ posts. I try it later.
If you want google more, the keyword is "méhleseprő". (see the mentioned link at mehesz.aspnet.hu)

I put these pictures to remind that "longhive" is not an invention. They has been used very long time. It is same with the toy called "top bar hive"
These hives are very common among commercial beekeepers here around.
Sure, it isn't a new invention. It was used before, but was standardised in 1902 by Mr. Boczonádi Szabó Imre.
These hives named after him as "Nagy Boczonádi", or shortly: "NB" hives. Its frame is huge. The dimensions of it: 42 cm (16.5") wide and 36 cm (14.2") high. This hive is also called "coffin hive". It has no supers, just one stage of frames. Usually this hive contains 14-24 frames. If it has 24 frames, it works with two queens. The nest is separated from the honey by a vertical queen excluder, to one side or even the middle of the frames.
The coffin hive is / was commonly used in Russia, Slovakia, Moldavia, Georgia, Poland, Bulgaria, Romania, but also in Austria and other European countries as well.
See also taylorsgardenbuildings.co.uk as an example from UK.

There are many odd systems in this horizontal hive compared to vertical hive. One is really, how the honey frame will be capped. In vertical hive and with low frames capped honey- nectar-new space is easy to arrange. In horizontal hive the bees' habit to arrange storage fron upp to down does not follow bees instinct to work.

When you want one capped honey box, you need 2-3 other boxes where honey rippens. In long hives these vertical layers all are inside that huge frame.
In ancient times the hive was a tube where some combs were cutted behind brood frames.[/quote]
It is true. It is against bees instict. On the other hand wild bee colonies can build nest and honey storage beside each other, if the available room makes only this possible.

At least it is difficult to stiele these hives, but some stiele only frames.
It is also true. Every hive can be locked, and also they are very heavy to steal them.

Those hives seem very old. Perhaps hives in 3 generation. it is 20 years when sosialism collapsed. that is not a reason.
No. Hives from three generations would look much worse than these. You can buy new-made long hives. See
- kaptaruzem.hu/fekrendkapt.htm
- kaptarak.hu/?cat=13

Don't have doubts, it works very well. It has benefits e.g. during migration: you only need to close the entrance, and can go.

welcome to the forum, KorvinST, and thanks for the information on these long hives

Latest posts

Back